GregNal

Joined: 23rd April 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

GregNal
Very nice set, difficult to choose but for me 2 (fierworks looks very sharp and range of colour) and 3 ("Siege of Edinburgh" )

Comment by GregNal posted on Fireworks! at 06/09/2011 - 01:02

GregNal
Warm welcome

Comment by GregNal posted on New member but not new to photography at 26/08/2011 - 17:57

GregNal
Hi Kevin and welcome.

Comment by GregNal posted on Hello at 26/08/2011 - 01:19

GregNal
Congratulations David.

Comment by GregNal posted on International acceptances at 26/08/2011 - 01:04

GregNal
sorry for double posting - for some reason could see them on first attempt

Gwyn wrote:
The Arctic butterfly (724) is expensive - around 80 GBP here btw, but it lasts you a lifetime, and will clear most dust quickly and cleanly. There is also the cheaper 788 which will do the job just as well.

I have the swabs too - I used them first on my K-5 sensor having seen the Butterfly give problems due to a coating on the sensor, but since then I only use the butterfly. I bought mine about 5 years ago now and have never regretted it. If I were to use swabs every time I would be well over the price of the Butterfly already.
Thanks, really worth considering - everything is about money

MarkTaylor wrote:
Wet cleaning may be the cheapest 'one-off' solution but bear in mind that the swabs are not reusable, and you may have to use more than one to get your sensor clean. If you use your camera a lot and change lenses frequently you might have to clean your sensor quite often, so this could mount up. Having said that I have only used 3 swabs in six months, but that is largely because I use the dry methods first often alleviating the need to use swabs.

While I'm reminded it pays to be especially careful when changing lenses if you're doing plant/flower photography or any kind of photography where the pollen count is high because pollen is one of the more stubborn forms of sensor dirt! Also keep the mounts and rear elements of your lenses dust-free (a blower is ideal for this) as mounting lenses with dust on them can carry the dust into the camera body.
Thanks again, trying avoid changing to often lenses but obviously isn't always possible and trying to find place where is less possible get any dust (for example inside car), always checking mount of lenses so when will clear sensor shouldn'd be that much problem again.

Comment by GregNal posted on Annoying dots on pictures at 25/08/2011 - 18:11

GregNal
Another silly question
Tried recently 4 times (last time tried few minutes ago) to add post in my "Annoying dots on pictures" topic - when clicked "Add comment" could see my post but when leaved this page (for serching another topics or just for looking at Gallery) and back again post dissapears
Can admin check if it is my computer playing up or something else?
Thanks.

Comment by GregNal posted on Vanishing Posts at 25/08/2011 - 17:33

GregNal
Thanks Mark for your exhaustive instrutions - time to try and see how will manage to sort out this problem.
Again, thanks to all of you for lots of advice - nice to have more experienced people around.

Comment by GregNal posted on Annoying dots on pictures at 25/08/2011 - 17:19

GregNal
Thank you Mark for your exhaustive instructions.

MarkTaylor wrote:
....
As Smeggy says you could just use the swabs every time but since they are fairly expensive and not reusable, trying the dry methods first can save you a bit of cash in the longer term (not so much in the short term because an Arctic Butterfly brush is not exactly cheap)......
Think that, as first, will try wet cleaning - SRS sells "the Mini Sensor Cleaning Kit from VisibleDust contains 3 VSwabs and VDust Plus solution" for £15 so is not that expensive but also will need think of buying good blower (prices around £40). Yes, you right Arctic Butterfly is rather expensive - price around £90 (so this will be last one purchase).
Thanks ,again, guys for giving me word of advice - nice to have someone more experienced around.

Comment by GregNal posted on Annoying dots on pictures at 25/08/2011 - 13:01

GregNal
MarkTaylor wrote:
I also got dust into the viewfinder the first time I used a Rocket Blower and had to have it professionally cleaned to remove this................................................
Personally I use the white plastic body cap which came with the camera to cover the body whilst putting the first lens back in my bag and getting the next one out, but everybody has their own methods when it comes to lens changing.
Thanks Mark for your exhaustive instructions.
After quick looking around Arctic Butterfly (around £90)is most expensive solution, seems that cheapest one will be wet cleaning (SRS sells nice kit (Mini Sensor Cleaning Kit from VisibleDust contains 3 VSwabs and VDust Plus solution) for £15; good blowers are somethere between.
Thanks again to all - nice to have someone more experienced around

Comment by GregNal posted on Annoying dots on pictures at 25/08/2011 - 04:24

GregNal
Gwyn wrote:
I just bought a new Arctic Butterfly for my daughter-in-law. Same model as my old one but now it comes with lights. Not sure how useful they are but it looks impressive .

I also use a loupe from Visible dust (makers of the Butterfly) to check the sensor.
beginner wrote:
I always carry my "butterfly"...and always do 3 or 4 passes with it whenever I'm going out on a trip,especially so when doing landscapes!....a marvelous tool!
So Artic Butterfly is "a must"

Comment by GregNal posted on Annoying dots on pictures at 24/08/2011 - 18:55

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo