Fireworks!
Posted 05/09/2011 - 23:20
Link
Love #1
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/09/2011 - 01:02
Link
Very nice set, difficult to choose but for me 2 (fierworks looks very sharp and range of colour) and 3 ("Siege of Edinburgh" )
K-X, Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR
Posted 06/09/2011 - 19:19
Link
A couple more...
Five.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0145.jpg[/IMG]
Six.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0273.jpg[/IMG]
Five.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0145.jpg[/IMG]
Six.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0273.jpg[/IMG]
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 06/09/2011 - 21:20
Link
Like them all but i like number 6 the best.
regards, tim.
regards, tim.
Posted 07/09/2011 - 09:42
Link
Really good images, especially 4 and 6.
Nigel
Nigel
Posted 07/09/2011 - 10:16
Link
Very nicely done, great setting. 6 for me.
Posted 08/09/2011 - 20:12
Link
Nice set of images, no 6 stands out for me. Blue & white, very patriotic.
Was there last year, missed it this year, due to work.
Was there last year, missed it this year, due to work.
Cheers
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Posted 08/09/2011 - 20:16
Link
Terrific set - and like the others #6 is the pick.
Posted 09/09/2011 - 10:30
Link
Nice set, Mark, (No6) for me, I like the light off the end of the building.
Take care.
Take care.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 09/09/2011 - 13:52
Link
I think the coulours just work really well for #6.
K-r & MG with 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses, M 50mm f1.7 and M 135mm
Posted 09/09/2011 - 14:26
Link
They're great. I, too, like 6 the most, I'm intrigued by your exposure times were you opening the shutter before hand in anticipation?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 09/09/2011 - 15:55
Link
Wow! Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm particuarly happy with the results myself as this was my first 'serious' attempt to capture fireworks.
I tried some exposures with a much shorter time (and correspondingly higher ISO) but they did not come out as well regardless of the timing as they just tended to capture 'bits' of light which look far less spectacular than the real thing. I think you need a slightly longer exposure as fireworks actually consist of moving points of light which make 'light trails' in the sky so it's much like capturing light trails from traffic and so forth.
When perceiving them with the naked eye I think we tend to see them more as 'trails' anyway because they move quite fast and they illuminate the smoke trails they leave behind, however to a camera these smoke trails would barely show up compared to the leading 'bright points' of light.
gartmore wrote:
They're great. I, too, like 6 the most, I'm intrigued by your exposure times were you opening the shutter before hand in anticipation?
In some cases I was opening the shutter when I saw the initial 'flares' going up so taking my reaction time into account, probaly only about a second or less before the actual 'explosion'. In other cases there were just multiple explosions going off at once for sustained periods so the timing of opening the shutter was fairly arbitrary.They're great. I, too, like 6 the most, I'm intrigued by your exposure times were you opening the shutter before hand in anticipation?
I tried some exposures with a much shorter time (and correspondingly higher ISO) but they did not come out as well regardless of the timing as they just tended to capture 'bits' of light which look far less spectacular than the real thing. I think you need a slightly longer exposure as fireworks actually consist of moving points of light which make 'light trails' in the sky so it's much like capturing light trails from traffic and so forth.
When perceiving them with the naked eye I think we tend to see them more as 'trails' anyway because they move quite fast and they illuminate the smoke trails they leave behind, however to a camera these smoke trails would barely show up compared to the leading 'bright points' of light.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


660 posts
15 years
Edinburgh,
Scotland
One.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0241.jpg[/IMG]
Two.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0142.jpg[/IMG]
Three.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0177.jpg[/IMG]
Four.
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/IMGP0215.jpg[/IMG]