GeoffMoore

Joined: 16th April 2019

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

GeoffMoore
I traveled up to Wallasey, Liverpool in the early hours of Sunday morning, a repeat visit in order to photograph New Brighton Lighthouse, having only visted once before. As its almost mid June, i wasnt expecting the need to be wearing thermals, but it was freezing! Two jeckets, a wool hat, and gloves to stop the wind chill. I was very surprised.

I took with me my normal landscape camera, that beingmy K1 but also the Q S-1, which I shot a few frames during the sunrise and morning. As I mentioned in a previous post the Q S-1 Black & White with the Bold Mono filter is just lovely I really am enjoying what its producing, so much so, im struggling to get enthused with what I captured with the K1 in comparrsion. Anyways enough drivel! here is one of the images from the Q S-1 with a No 2

Comment Image

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Q S-1 & No 2 at 09/06/2025 - 12:40

GeoffMoore
Lubbyman wrote:
Stunning! A fine example of what that little camera is capable of when in the right hands. And all the more impressive for having been taken with the 02 lens, which many people didn't regard very highly when it first appeared (undeserved IMHO).
GeoffMoore wrote:
I had so much fun with it mounted to a full sized tripod too, the looks from people where priceless
Did you go the whole hog and put a black cloth over your head and camera to make the rear screen easier to see?
GeoffMoore wrote:
No doubt i'll want to get a No 1 and No. 6 lens at some point soon.
Both are very good optically. But it's worth trying to get a lightly used 6 as it does have a record of failing fatally and unrepairably, which appears to be due to a tiny cable breaking after a lot of flexing. If you want to have some fun, get a K - Q adapter and put a high quality K mount lens on it. There's a thread link on the other forum devoted to how the Q series performs with adapted lenses.

Steve
Thanks Steve, The LCD and seeing it is a problem in daylight, I have a mate who is pretty handy at 3rd printing, so I may see if we can design up a cowl to clip into the hot shoe mount to give a bit of shade onto the screen. Also thank you for the tip about the number 6. I'll keep that in mind. I want the No.1 next though

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 28/05/2025 - 13:00

GeoffMoore
davidwozhere wrote:
Can we have some details of that remarkable building please?
Sure Pershore Abbey. a Benedictine abbey with Anglo-Saxon origins, partly demolished after the reformation when it was surrendered to the King's Commissioners in 1540 - Its been around since at least 950 AD

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 28/05/2025 - 12:52

GeoffMoore
RAJHANS wrote:
Superb ! Highlight and shadow details very well captured !!
Thank you. The camera is a joy! A bit fiddly. The image quality has a certain character to it, its 1/1.7 inch sensor, produces some outstanding results considering its size and age, and the grain/noise is just delightful in comparison to sterile output of modern days sensor tech imho.

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 28/05/2025 - 12:49

GeoffMoore
SSF1957 wrote:
Great shot. I found that the 01 (standard prime) was probably the best performing of the Q lenses. I have kept the 08 (wide zoom) on my radar but the price tends to be exorbitant
- All of the writeups and reviews I have read do indicate the No.1 as a must lens for the Q system. I might put a wanted ad here for one, whilst I lurk on used market sites.

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 28/05/2025 - 12:47

GeoffMoore
Defragged wrote:
Simply stunning.
thank you. Will put it through its paces over the coming days and weeks, so far i'm very pleased with it. No doubt i'll want to get a No 1 and No. 6 lens at some point soon.

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 14/05/2025 - 19:40

GeoffMoore
Testing my newly acquired Pentax Q S-1 with No 2 lens. I'm very impressed by its B&W handling in jpeg. With a little bit of gentle editing, the results are more than adequate for posting on social media etc. I had so much fun with it mounted to a full sized tripod too, the looks from people where priceless

Comment Image

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Just for fun Q S-1 First Outting at 14/05/2025 - 16:21

GeoffMoore
maranatha wrote:
Beautiful photo Geoff of a lovely morning out which I watched when it came out on Utube Paul 🙂
Thank you.

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Good Morning Sunshine at 14/05/2025 - 12:02

GeoffMoore
rick wrote:
Nice colourway, looks great!
interestingly enough I have found the video to be quite good quality, also reading up on the forums with a no1 its quite the capable B&W street camera. So, might also give that a go at some point.

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Mint Q S-1 at 13/05/2025 - 15:46

GeoffMoore
rick wrote:
Superb photo and complimentary video, thanks for taking the time to share them with us.
thank you Rick

Comment by GeoffMoore posted on Good Morning Sunshine at 13/05/2025 - 15:44

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo