GaryJohn

Joined: 20th March 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

GaryJohn
samson51 wrote:
£90 including P&P(without lens) £110 including P&P with lens
You have a PM

Comment by GaryJohn posted on Pentax K-M 10mpx CCD + 18-55mm 365 SHUTTER COUNT at 26/01/2014 - 09:15

GaryJohn
paulyrichard wrote:
I used to live in the east-end of London and now I have moved up here back to where my wife wants to be, she is Huddersfield born and bred. I have to say that the folk in these parts are super-friendly, nice people all round really.
There a lot to be said for living in a community where people feel comfortable to say "Hello" to strangers when they pass and will stop for a chat given the slightest encouragement. We've been very happy here - hope you and your family are too.

Comment by GaryJohn posted on Emley Moor Tower, W. Yorkshire '13 at 26/12/2013 - 23:39

GaryJohn
Originate from Portsmouth, with a few via's before arriving here. Lepton Great Wood and the fields below where you live are regular dog walking territory for us. Came because a friend passed on a rental when I was between homes and stayed because the village school was excellent. How about you?

Comment by GaryJohn posted on Emley Moor Tower, W. Yorkshire '13 at 26/12/2013 - 20:51

GaryJohn
paulyrichard wrote:
Thanks, Gary. It's interesting to hear from you like this.
Whereabouts do you live? I am living at Great Oak Farm in Little Lepton...
I'm over the fields, across Beldon Brook in Highburton. Probably less than a mile away. Settled here by accident about 18 years ago...

Comment by GaryJohn posted on Emley Moor Tower, W. Yorkshire '13 at 26/12/2013 - 19:46

GaryJohn
I understand where you're coming from with this. I have it centre stage from my bedroom window - and a 'portrait' approach just isn't right. I spend 3 or 4 nights a month in London, often staying near the Post Office Tower and catch sight of it unexpectedly in gaps between buildings or reflected in office blocks and have long thought I should capture these... if only working for a living didn't get in the way.

Comment by GaryJohn posted on Emley Moor Tower, W. Yorkshire '13 at 26/12/2013 - 18:26

GaryJohn
Hi BrixtonNick,
I recommend you consider purchasing this link'Techniques of photography - a Time Life book'
Considering the aspects of photography that you want to learn about I have never seen a better reference book than this. I've had a copy for 30 years. It very clearly explains with illustrations and example photographs all of the basics - focal length, aperture, depth of field and how it varies, hyperfocal distance and loads more. Even has a section on the darkroom. My kids [all Pentaxians] learned from this book and are consequently perfectly at home using manual lenses on their DSLR's. And at this price on eBay it wont break the bank.
Regards Gary

Comment by GaryJohn posted on I know nothing about photography but I've bought an LX. Help! at 21/11/2013 - 21:42

GaryJohn
"In my opinion, the Sigma would be a great starter!!"

To hopefully support this view (depending on what you think of my images ) the 5 most recent uploads to my Flickr page were taken with this lens. It should at least give some insight into the versitality of the lens. Link on my profile.
Regards Gary

Comment by GaryJohn posted on The 35mm Connundrum at 20/11/2013 - 19:01

GaryJohn
Snootchies wrote:
After a quick sale now. Final reduction of £200 posted for both Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 105mm macro. That's quite a bargain folks!
You have a PM

Comment by GaryJohn posted on For sale: Pentax K5, various lenses and extras at 19/11/2013 - 15:01

GaryJohn
Arrived today - and I must comment on the fantastic condition of this lens. Really does you credit Percy, thank you very much.

Comment by GaryJohn posted on FS: Sigma Mini-Wide II 28mm F2.8 at 13/09/2013 - 18:04

GaryJohn
Hi Percy - have sent you a reply.
Gary

Comment by GaryJohn posted on FS: Sigma Mini-Wide II 28mm F2.8 at 09/09/2013 - 18:27

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo