The 35mm Connundrum

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 21:44
The last couple of days I have been messing around with my newly acquired 50mm 1.7 - sweet lens.

Now I am on the hunt for a nice lens somewhere in the 18 - 30 range.

Today I tried the 35mm 2.4 and have to admit to being impressed.

- Sharp
- Great contrast
- Fast enough

Is the 2.8 macro really heads above it or can you suggest some other nice lenses in the above range.

It would be nice to hear about other lenses rather than the usual - 31, 40 etc.

Cheers
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

JonSchick

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:01
I doubt you'd do much better than the DA especially for the price. The FA 35/2 is also very nice and better built....but I suspect image quality is close; I understand the optical design is similar. Another option might be a secondhand Sigma 30/1.4 - built to do a slightly different job with emphasis on centre sharpness but a great lens if its characteristics are what you're looking for.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:02
The Sigma 30mm 1,4 Cheers I'll look into that.

Anyone else think the DA 2.8 macro is the dogs?
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

matwhittington

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:07
I reckon the 35mm macro is brilliant - easily one of my desert island lenses, probably my choice actually if only allowed one! (this week at least). I've been using it a lot recently…

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:12
Thanks Mat - im going to have to try it. I cant believe its better thatn the 2.4

That wee 2.4 surprised me today!

johnha

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:19
My preferred focal length in this range is 28mm on APS-C - just a bit wider than 35 - the M28/2.8 is easy to get hold of, AF ones not so easy.
PPG Flickr

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:20
Thank you John.

I would agree with you - something a bid wider would be more a more natural look perhaps. I'll look into it

davidstorm

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:22
If you want something out of the ordinary I recommend the M28 F3.5 (not the F2.. It is a little bit scarce but not rare and if you're lucky you might find a good one for £30. I would not sell mine - it is one of my most prized lens possessions and is capable of magic on landscape shots.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:31
Congratulations on discovering the delights of old glass. As you have a 50mm to play with I would suggest going wider, 28mm to 35mm would be a good range.

You could try the M28/3.5 for around the £40 mark.

I would recommend trying K series glass. A bit more expensive but there are always bargains lurking. I particularly recommend the K28/3.5 and the K35/3.5. Bang for buck I don't think it gets much better.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 22:31
I know you like that lens Dave Dont worry I have it listed here

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 09:53
The 35/2.4 gets a lot of good press and reviews because it's cheap and doesn't perform badly, but much of this is not really deserved. However, the DA 35/2.8 limited is head-and-shoulders above it in terms of IQ, build quality and pleasure of use. The limited is sharper with much better colour and contrast and despite the f/ numbers, the 2.4 only lets in 25% more light than the 2.8 when wide open, not the 50% that the f/ number would lead us to believe (yes, I've checked this).

If you're looking at old glass, the SMC Takumar 35/3.5 is superb but tricky to use due to it's lower speed (hard to focus) and small size. The M 35mm f/2 is also very good (optically superior to the DAL 35/2.4) but rarer and so will probably cost as much as the DAL.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 10:17
I'm another big fan of the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited - they often crop up second hand for around £275'ish (sometimes less) - a superb price for this level of quality.

If they added WR it would be the icing on the cake
LennyBloke

vic cross

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 10:53
There's a 35mm Macro in the for sale section right now. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

vic cross

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:16
Actually there are 2 ads.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

cabstar

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:27
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
The 35/2.4 gets a lot of good press and reviews because it's cheap and doesn't perform badly, but much of this is not really deserved. However, the DA 35/2.8 limited is head-and-shoulders above it in terms of IQ, build quality and pleasure of use. The limited is sharper with much better colour and contrast and despite the f/ numbers, the 2.4 only lets in 25% more light than the 2.8 when wide open, not the 50% that the f/ number would lead us to believe (yes, I've checked this).

If you're looking at old glass, the SMC Takumar 35/3.5 is superb but tricky to use due to it's lower speed (hard to focus) and small size. The M 35mm f/2 is also very good (optically superior to the DAL 35/2.4) but rarer and so will probably cost as much as the DAL.

Why is it not deserved? Price to IQ ratio makes it an exceptional lens value wise.

A limited lens is always going to be head and shoulders above a DA lens thats why they are part of the limited range because of their outstanding build quality and image quality. As for recommending old M glass, whilst it may be optically superior AF and new coatings will far outweigh any shortcomings in optical performance which will be very slim given the advances of lens design and construction in the time from M lenses to the new DA lenses.

For a lens in the 18-30 range the DA* 16-50mm fits perfectly
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.