Emley Moor Tower, W. Yorkshire '13

paulyrichard
Posted 26/12/2013 - 16:09 Link
Well, I have been living in rural W. Yorkshire now since mid-November and this TV transmitting tower is literally on my doorstep, it can be seen for miles and is taller than the Eiffel Tower...although, by only 10m.

I had been looking for a way to photograph it and didn't want a general snap of it, so in my wanderings along public footpaths and through farmer's fields I came upon what you see here...



Emley Moor Tower, West Yorkshire '13 - RICOH GR

Comment Image
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
snappychappy
Posted 26/12/2013 - 17:29 Link
The tower s too close to the edge of the frame for me, the main focal point seems to be the wall and pipes.
GaryJohn
Posted 26/12/2013 - 18:26 Link
I understand where you're coming from with this. I have it centre stage from my bedroom window - and a 'portrait' approach just isn't right. I spend 3 or 4 nights a month in London, often staying near the Post Office Tower and catch sight of it unexpectedly in gaps between buildings or reflected in office blocks and have long thought I should capture these... if only working for a living didn't get in the way.
Edited by GaryJohn: 26/12/2013 - 18:26
paulyrichard
Posted 26/12/2013 - 18:49 Link
Hey Snappy', I appreciate your comment. What I'm attempting to do with this scene is to develop a little further interest by including all these shapes. If someone were aware of the masts previous history and it being damaged then these tube-like structures would be a nice little 'play' on the mind in thinking that they could be the remains of it's predecessor...adding yet more interest maybe.

I think it would only call for a title change like' Emley Moor' to change your mind, no?
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Edited by paulyrichard: 26/12/2013 - 18:52
paulyrichard
Posted 26/12/2013 - 18:50 Link
Thanks, Gary. It's interesting to hear from you like this.
Whereabouts do you live? I am living at Great Oak Farm in Little Lepton...
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
GaryJohn
Posted 26/12/2013 - 19:46 Link
paulyrichard wrote:
Thanks, Gary. It's interesting to hear from you like this.
Whereabouts do you live? I am living at Great Oak Farm in Little Lepton...
I'm over the fields, across Beldon Brook in Highburton. Probably less than a mile away. Settled here by accident about 18 years ago...
paulyrichard
Posted 26/12/2013 - 20:04 Link
Hey, we walked past that place on our Boxing Day walk this lunchtime, we did the loop back to Little Lepton, that's when I took this photo...
Are you originally from London or the south then?
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
GaryJohn
Posted 26/12/2013 - 20:51 Link
Originate from Portsmouth, with a few via's before arriving here. Lepton Great Wood and the fields below where you live are regular dog walking territory for us. Came because a friend passed on a rental when I was between homes and stayed because the village school was excellent. How about you?
paulyrichard
Posted 26/12/2013 - 21:50 Link
I used to live in the east-end of London and now I have moved up here back to where my wife wants to be, she is Huddersfield born and bred. I have to say that the folk in these parts are super-friendly, nice people all round really.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
MrB
Posted 26/12/2013 - 23:11 Link
paulyrichard wrote:

I have been living in rural W. Yorkshire now since mid-November and this TV transmitting tower is literally on my doorstep
That seems unlikely, Paul!

paulyrichard wrote:

If someone were aware of the masts previous history and it being damaged then these tube-like structures would be a nice little 'play' on the mind in thinking that they could be the remains of it's predecessor.
At the time that the previous tower, a tall metal tube supported by steel guy ropes, collapsed (apparently due to the stresses of wind and ice), I lived in nearby Ossett with my parents and we went to see the shattered and crumpled structure. So you had me fooled at first - I did think you had found some of the original's remains to include in your shot of the current tower!

It is now a magnificent reinforced concrete tower, looking rather like a gigantic slender lighthouse. I look forward to seeing more of your photos of this splendid structure that dramatically dominates the Pennine landscape there in Yorkshire.

Philip
GaryJohn
Posted 26/12/2013 - 23:39 Link
paulyrichard wrote:
I used to live in the east-end of London and now I have moved up here back to where my wife wants to be, she is Huddersfield born and bred. I have to say that the folk in these parts are super-friendly, nice people all round really.
There a lot to be said for living in a community where people feel comfortable to say "Hello" to strangers when they pass and will stop for a chat given the slightest encouragement. We've been very happy here - hope you and your family are too.
Smeggypants
Posted 27/12/2013 - 00:38 Link
snappychappy wrote:
The tower s too close to the edge of the frame for me, the main focal point seems to be the wall and pipes.
For me that was immediately the point and why I like it so much. Great shot. Superb Composition! Thinking outside the box!

Comment Image
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
paulyrichard
Posted 28/12/2013 - 08:41 Link
Thanks, Smeggy'...
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
K10D
Posted 28/12/2013 - 09:15 Link
I'm going with the edge compo as well. Just as a side observation, you have also captured several forms of construction materials here, from the simple brick wall, cast concrete, aluminum and timber.

There's more to this image than initial observation suggests.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
paulyrichard
Posted 29/12/2013 - 15:47 Link
Thanks K10D, they all presented a nice set of textures and contrasts too...
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo