El Dingo

Joined: 4th December 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

El Dingo
Thanks for the replies!
When I looked at the Adobe website (and EBuyer, Misco, etc.) the price of CS3 (at about £500) puts me off (as I'm not rich)! The funny thing is, that's about what PS5 cost me originally...
As has been pointed out, I left it far too long to get a reduced price upgrade. Maybe I'll try a download of Elements, and see how that feels.
My 'local' camera shop sells Elements for £49.99 - that seems to be the best I've seen anywhere. Somehow it seems too cheap... 1/10th the price, but is it 1/10th the functionality?

Comment by El Dingo posted on Photoshop upgrade? at 18/01/2008 - 21:50

El Dingo
I have Photoshop 5, and wonder if I should upgrade? I know that 5 doesn't support DNG or PEF raw images, but apart from that can't see why I should upgrade?
Has anyone on the forum gone from 5 to CS3 and can give me an unbiased view on this?
Many thanks.

Comment by El Dingo posted on Photoshop upgrade? at 18/01/2008 - 11:24

El Dingo
In my (limited) experience with the K10D, I've found that long shutter times seem to eat the battery fairly quickly. I've been doing some night sky at 3 minutes or so. (Interestingly, the 'writing to memory' bit takes almost as long as the shutter time - did anyone else notice that?)

Comment by El Dingo posted on How long does yours hold up? at 08/01/2008 - 21:48

El Dingo
I gave up hunting for the Pentax OE and bought a Seculine Twin1 R3-UT that works as a wired release and a remote. Seems to work OK. I have tried it for some astro/night shots and it worked well, but the locking action is a little fiddly.
The Seculine unit costs about the same as a Pentax F, i.e. £20 Sterling.
Just an idea, but if I'd been willing to wait I'd have bought the Pentax unit TBH.

Comment by El Dingo posted on Pentax Remote Control F at 31/12/2007 - 10:45

El Dingo
I'm new to this game (although my old camera is also a Pentax, a P30) and recently bought a Slik 700 DX tripod for £84.99. It's a bit 'industrial' and very heavy, but solid enough to mount a small telescope (6" reflector) and that's saying something.

Comment by El Dingo posted on Tripod for Pentax K10D at 04/12/2007 - 19:40

El Dingo
I thought SilverJON's explanation/desciption was spot on!

I certainly have to get a better computer monitor - I have a 19" wide with 1440 x 900 resolution and IMHO it's not good enough.

As for the colours, when I ran the Adobe gamma set up I was shocked! The monitor runs hugely into the blue by default. I guess this makes them look 'brighter' in the shop?

Comment by El Dingo posted on whats the deal with the Shake reduction at 30/12/2007 - 14:05

El Dingo
Quote:
El Dingo wrote:
Wierd, I bought mine three weeks ago with version 1.0. Doesn't bother me though... brilliant camera. I've just spent the last few weeks learning how to use it, and I'm still only halfway through the manual.
I'd recommend the update nonetheless; it adds support for the new DA* lenses, wireless flash capability and a few other worthwhile tweaks. Best of all, it's easy to do and free!

Welcome to the forum btw.
Thanks!
Sorry, I have already updated to 1.3 - I just meant that I'm not bothered that the camera came with 1.0.

Comment by El Dingo posted on NEW K10D w/ Firmware 1.00 at 08/12/2007 - 13:45

El Dingo
Wierd, I bought mine three weeks ago with version 1.0. Doesn't bother me though... brilliant camera. I've just spent the last few weeks learning how to use it, and I'm still only halfway through the manual.

Comment by El Dingo posted on NEW K10D w/ Firmware 1.00 at 04/12/2007 - 19:43

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo