El Dingo

Joined: 4th December 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

El Dingo
OK, I tried both the Sigma and the Pentax today.
Sigma plusses - almost distortion-free, can fit filters.
Pentax plusses - 180 degrees!!!!, focus ring unlocked when not focussing, much smaller than the Sigma, brighter.
I feel that the Sigma would better suit my landscape/building shots, but the Pentax would be more fun and easier to use. IMHO the Pentax is much nicer to handle and just seems better made. If the Pentax wasn't quite so 'fish-eyed' there would be no contest.
Maybe I should buy nothing now and save up for a 12-24mm Pentax? Can anyone tell me, is that a bit less 'fishy' than the 10-17mm?

Comment by El Dingo posted on It's my birthday - what shall I ask for? at 18/11/2008 - 21:24

El Dingo
Offertonhatter wrote:
Oh for Pentax to bring out a 10-500mm F2 Pancake at under £500 for us to use........Can't be done? Oh well never mind, we can but dream........LOL
Can I mark this post blue? Unhelpful?


(He he he - sorry, only joking.)

Comment by El Dingo posted on It's my birthday - what shall I ask for? at 17/11/2008 - 22:05

El Dingo
Wow, that's all interesting stuff! I must try using SEL when hand-held now...
That's what is so good about this forum - very useful and very interesting!

Comment by El Dingo posted on Focusing on off centre subjects? at 17/11/2008 - 21:52

El Dingo
mikew wrote:
El Dingo wrote:

So, a wide-angle zoom looks good - I can't afford the 12-24mm, and of the 10-20mm pair I'd prefer less distortion. However, Pentax are giving £50 cash back, so I'm going to have to try these lenses out. I'll 'phone SRS and see if they have both in stock...
Are you certain you can't afford the 12-24? I have the 10-20 and while it's great and works well the 24 would make it a better street lens. 20 is a bit too wide but then again the 10 is very nice to have.

What a delightful dilemma!

Mike
I'd love that, but it's £465.00 at SRS... Just too much.

Comment by El Dingo posted on It's my birthday - what shall I ask for? at 16/11/2008 - 20:44

El Dingo
The only time that I (currently) use the SEL to pick a focus point is when I'm composing with the camera on a tripod - otherwise it's the same as above, i.e. centre point focus on the subject then re-compose.

Comment by El Dingo posted on Focusing on off centre subjects? at 16/11/2008 - 20:23

El Dingo
Thanks for the replies and the birthday wishes. Like Coriander, I'll probably have to buy my own present then get someone else to wrap it up (the actual day is at the end of the month and has a zero at the end - a biggy).
So, a wide-angle zoom looks good - I can't afford the 12-24mm, and of the 10-20mm pair I'd prefer less distortion. However, Pentax are giving £50 cash back, so I'm going to have to try these lenses out. I'll 'phone SRS and see if they have both in stock...

Thanks again, and to show my respect, I've turned ALL the replies green.

Comment by El Dingo posted on It's my birthday - what shall I ask for? at 16/11/2008 - 18:04

El Dingo
I'm allowed a lens, on a £300 budget. The question is, what?

I take photos of family and pets, landscapes, buildings, vehicles, indeed anything that catches my eye for whatever reason.

I used to use a P30 film camera with a Sigma 50-200 MF and a hot-shoe flash, then bought an early Olympus D-SLR which I wasn't happy with (so sold), then about a year ago bought a K10D which I love.

I also have the DA 18-55 kit lens, a Tamron 70-300 macro, a D-Xenon 50-200 and a 43mm ltd. (And I have a Celestron telescope, equivalent to 1000mm/f11.)

(BTW, in the opinion of the Site Veterans, how does the 50mm/f1.4 compare with my 43mm Ltd?)

My thoughts are:
1. 10-20mm fisheye, as I'd like to be able to shoot very wide angle (I've tried a Digital King 0.7 but this isn't a great solution TBH) but I'm worried about the high amount of distortion of the Pentax offering and negative reviews on the Sigma 10-20mm lens.
2. 16-45mm to replace the 18-55mm kit lens.

Which would 'you' choose? Or would you choose something completely different?

Thanks for you thoughts - I'm having a tough time knowing how to spend this hard-earned money!

Comment by El Dingo posted on It's my birthday - what shall I ask for? at 16/11/2008 - 11:22

El Dingo
Apologies if this sounds silly, but couldn't Rataegeoff use a bright, wide prime lens then crop (within reason) accordingly?

Comment by El Dingo posted on K10D and Twilight football at 12/11/2008 - 12:44

El Dingo
I agree - I have the Tamron 70-300 macro and a Samsung 50-200, and I'm happy with both, except that with the Tamron, the filter end rotates during focussing - a bit annoying when you are using a polarising filter.

Comment by El Dingo posted on K20 D Lens at 10/11/2008 - 20:55

El Dingo
Daniel Bridge wrote:
El Dingo wrote:
Is there a list of the different acronyms used on the lenses? I've searched for a glossary but couldn't find anything.
For once the Pentax U.K. website comes up trumps!

http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/Photo_Lenses_Glossary.html

Dan
Thanks Dan, that's great.
Regards.

Comment by El Dingo posted on A newbie writes at 02/11/2008 - 22:47

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo