ChrisA

Joined: 4th January 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

ChrisA
davidstorm wrote:
ChrisA wrote:
* remove the opportunity to leave comments in the Gallery
I'm really not sure that is a suggestion that many of us would agree with.
I expect you're right.

The fact is, however, that since the gallery is for people to post pictures they are pleased with, you can be sure that whatever feedback is left will be artificially skewed towards praise, since no one likes to rain on someone else's parade (not even me!!)

I suppose people like to feel good, so if getting a bit of mild praise (and no feedback at all from the people that think the picture is no good) floats people's boat, so be it.

Rest assured nothing will change, though

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 23/05/2014 - 16:01

ChrisA
johnriley wrote:
my point is that if we make it more complicated it won't necessarily make it any better.

This is not a rejection of any point of view, just a thinking process about it.
Do two things:

* rename 'Your photos' as 'Images for critique or feedback'

* remove the opportunity to leave comments in the Gallery.

Two very simple changes, with no possibility for confusion at all.

You wouldn't expect to go up to the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, and find a comments book containing things like 'nice pic, maybe touch up the smile a bit'. That's because it's a gallery. Everyone knows what a gallery is.

None of this stuff is rocket science, and it's an insult to the people here to imagine that such simple changes are beyond people's ability to understand.

It's more confusing as things are at the moment.

PS Ideally, I'd like to be able to put links to externally hosted images in the gallery on the rare occasions I have something to show off. I don't like having to host things in more than one place, and I also don't like the fact (assuming it's still the case) that deleting an image from the gallery doesn't delete it from the server.

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 22/05/2014 - 14:59

ChrisA
DrOrloff wrote:
There doesn't seem much point asking for opinions when the inevitable answer is we won't do anything about it.
+1

RalphHardwick wrote:

John we're trying to post suggestions for improvement after all, as the saying goes: If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

Is there no chance that anything we suggest will ever get even considered let alone implemented?
+1

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 22/05/2014 - 13:04

ChrisA
gartmore wrote:
Amazingly Pentax/Ricoh have just asked 'film or digital?' on their facebook page this morning with a picture of a Spotmatic and a 645Z
I have always thought the Pentax marketing people are muppets.

Like for instance the competition where you have to post an image *and* say why you think you should win.

:::

Comment by ChrisA posted on Which is best, film or digital? at 22/05/2014 - 12:32

ChrisA
gartmore wrote:
I was really wondering about the point of having comments in the gallery for example. I really dislike, it may sound churlish, having well meaning platitudes below my pictures.
Absolutely. Comments there are pointless. It's a gallery, the clue's in the name

Quote:
Perhaps that would force the commentators to use 'your picures' instead? We don't want to make things too complicated for fear of discouraging posting.
If I'm critiquing, it's as much as I can do to articulate what I'm trying to say. I don't want to have to rewrite it in some kind of specified structure and still manage to retain my meaning.

Just make 'nice' and 'great' proscribed words in the Your Photos section

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 22/05/2014 - 12:26

ChrisA
johnriley wrote:
What I meant to say, was "sometimes someone who say...etc."
Freudian slip; I bet it's true more often than you'd think.

They still deserve what they get though

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 22/05/2014 - 10:48

ChrisA
Blythman wrote:
percy wrote:
How about the ability to crop an image tighter with the higher resolution available on the K-3 . . . . do those of you who have gone from the K-5 to the K-3 find that to be a worthwhile advantage?
Posted this to demonstrate but no-one seemed interested

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/sedge-warbler-49294
I missed this - zoikes, that's quite a crop.

Comment by ChrisA posted on worth upgrade k5IIs to K-3 at 22/05/2014 - 09:48

ChrisA
johnriley wrote:
I don't think there's any way anybody could know Chris. The nearest thing would be a comparison between the current version and the Pentax, but it's unlikely to be a priority for those who do such tests.
Yes, much as I thought. For someone to have both of those seems inconceivable.

Comment by ChrisA posted on Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO Lens + Case + Instr + Box at 22/05/2014 - 09:45

ChrisA
I would love this, but there's no chance I could ever justify the money without a lottery win.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how it compares optically with the new Pentax 560mm?

Comment by ChrisA posted on Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO Lens + Case + Instr + Box at 22/05/2014 - 08:48

ChrisA
If
johnriley wrote:
someone who says "tell me the truth, good or bad" really means "tell me how much you like my photo"
then they deserve what they get.

For future reference, if I say "tell me the truth, good or bad", then that is exactly what I mean. I would feel insulted if I got the mealy-mouthed half-baked approach.

Comment by ChrisA posted on What has happened? at 22/05/2014 - 08:44

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo