Sedge Warbler
Posted 22/05/2014 - 22:01
Link
Sorry Alan, never noticed this thread when you posted it. The crop is pretty impressive, not just for the camera but for the lens too. I don't think this would have been usable with a K-5, what do you think?
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 23/05/2014 - 06:00
Link
davidstorm wrote:
I don't think this would have been usable with a K-5, what do you think?
Yes it might have slightly less resolution, but would that have rendered it "unusable"?
I don't think this would have been usable with a K-5, what do you think?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 23/05/2014 - 06:35
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
But Smeggy, although I'm of the mind that more and more pixels and over-populated sensors are largely unnecessary and can even be detrimental in some circumstances, surely you must admit that, in this instance at least, the opportunity to crop so heavily means at least the subject is recognisable and some feather detail is observable.davidstorm wrote:
I don't think this would have been usable with a K-5, what do you think?
Yes it might have slightly less resolution, but would that have rendered it "unusable"?I don't think this would have been usable with a K-5, what do you think?
Below is a crop of a 6mp image, I know the 18-55 kit lens is not as good as Alan's DA 300. I don't have the original any more but from memory the crop is far less severe than that of the sedge warbler. It's maybe an acceptable image of a wheatear, but it's not good enough for an ornithologist.

Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4248 posts
16 years
Blyth,
Northumberland
Sedge Warbler in flight by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Not one of my best but thought I'd share given it was a sizeable crop from the below
Sedge Warbler in flight before the crop by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
PPG
Flickr