bretbysteve

Joined: 13th January 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bretbysteve
Hi All,

This is a follow on from the 'end of 35mm?' thread...sorry, but I am on my soapbox.

I am utterley amazed at how many people seem to think digital is more convenient than film..let me expain...

I shoot transparencies on Fuji film. My camera starts up immediately, with no delay, my current batteries have so far lasted for OVER TWO AND A HALF YEARS, my images are recorded in a micro second, I can shoot without fear of filling up my buffer, when I finish my film I simply post it away and it returns through my letter box usually within 48 HRS. I have not spent several very tedious hours on a PC correcting what the camera is incapable of doing itself, I have not got a headache from staring at the screen, nor suffered from repetitive strain injury. I have even more time free to actually take more photos......

I do use digital, but it certainly is not more convenient.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on I am fed up with everyone telling me digital is convenient ! at 07/09/2005 - 22:28

bretbysteve
Hi John,

Thanks for trying to help...

I have 'picked up' a box full and am having real difficulty identifying the Pentax ones, hence the Q. I tried the Bojidar site, but that entails going through every lens info listing and then he has only identified some of the matching lens cases, so I have managed to identify some.

They appear to be SMC-A cases. The HE169 is for the SMC-A 28-135/4, the HE-189 is for the SMC-A* 300/4, but I have the HE189B !!! so assume it fits a similar lens. The HG140 fits the SMC-A 100/2.8 Macro, the HG90 I have no clue yet and I also have the S90-140 soft case, which I assume fits a later AF lens. I think the HG115 cases are for 645 lenses, but I am not sure. The internet is great, but I am not finding any resource for lens case info!..but I guess it is a bit anoraky.

Olympus kindly mark the lens on the case, but this simple idea seems to have passed by the other lens makers. I also wonder If some of the cases match more than one lens.

Regards Steve.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Pentax Hard Lens Cases - which fits which lens??? at 18/08/2005 - 11:01

bretbysteve
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me of the following Pentax Hard Lens Cases..which lens(es) are they designed to fit?

HE169, HE189B, HG115, HG115D, HG140, HG90.

Have tried the Bojidar site, with only partial success..any help much appreciated

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Pentax Hard Lens Cases - which fits which lens??? at 15/08/2005 - 22:26

bretbysteve
Hi Folks,

Many apologies to all Kims on here with facial hair....sorry..one of the joys of the web...no idea who you are talking to!

Also while I am at it...also apologies in advance to any Sam's, Charlies, Betty's, Florences or Edna's who I blindly assume are 'gals'...never assume anything I was once told by a very good pro photographer..so what do I do....ignore the advice.

Best, Steve ( AKA Barbara, but only on Thursdays when I go down the pub to the 'dress as a female politician' quiz night) LOL....

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Beginning of the end for 35mm? at 02/09/2005 - 11:37

bretbysteve
Hello again all,

Well...what a thread we weave!! ....some facts...film is very much alive and well, also Ilford is alive & well and Kim is alive & well (I hope)....oh, and vinyl records are also very much alive & well.

John Riley makes the best point I think, in that the vast majority of people are totally unaware of what film (and vinyl) is actually capable of, they are used to seeing poor images and hearing poor sound and so when something appears which is noticeably better in comparison (digital image or CD) they just believe the new medium is superior and this is reinforced by the big electronic giants huge & often misleading advertising campaigns.

The majority of photographers have never been bothered with 'ultimate' image quality (or capable of producing it) and so digital is fine for them. The majority of older serious amateur photographers are very much into their digital cameras and computers and lots of younger 'snappers' are very much enjoying using film....(judging by the photo club I attend) and Judging by the buyers of my ebay items, the vast bulk of older and scarce film equipment is very much being bought to be used.

Kim....chill out gal, just be smug in the knowledge that your film gear is super and much nicer to use than most of the built down to a price digital stuff. I think the reason so many of the totally pro-digital fraternity get so worked up is they do not want to hear that their gleaming 'state of the art' £1000+ 8 Zillion megapixel monster is actually in so many ways inferior to a very old and tatty £100 used SLR...they just do not want to believe it.

Just one day spent with a competent professional studio photographer shooting film, may well be enlightening....or take a look at the 'Earth from the air' images produced on film.

Something tells me my neck is now on the block...do I care?

Cheers to all...

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Beginning of the end for 35mm? at 01/09/2005 - 10:55

bretbysteve
Hi,

Reply to terry..."Go on then Steve - go and buy a record on any high street "

Quite true, but that certainly does not mean vinyl is dead, in fact far from it!! In the last couple of years some stores have restocked some vinyl and some record companies are producing more..yes in small quantities but it is far from a dead duck. There are still many specialists supplying vinyl to the hi-fi enthusiasts who do relaise that in a 'decent' system vinyl beats CD hands down.

...and my head is not in the sand...!!!!

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Beginning of the end for 35mm? at 10/08/2005 - 18:14

bretbysteve
Hi to all,

Film will never die, simply because of other markets opening up..it will just become a much smaller market and possibly more expensive. I have mentioned before there is a strong minority of snappers returning to film due to un-happiness with digital. The good side of digital is that it is bringing folk back to photography who have not snapped for years and quite a few of these are quickly becoming disillusioned with digital and buying old classic film gear.
The vast majority of film gear is dropping in price, some alarmingly so, but other scarce items are actually increasing in value, but mostly only on the worldwide market..ie ebay and the web. I think photo dealers as we know them are doomed, except for a few specialists.
So the simpple answer is that both John & George are both right!! it depends on the item and the market.
Cheers Steve.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Beginning of the end for 35mm? at 09/08/2005 - 16:54

bretbysteve
...If anyone is interested!!!

Cheers Steve.M.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Pentax K SMC 18mm f3.5...On Ebay !!! at 29/07/2005 - 15:06

bretbysteve
Hi,
Regarding the mag K which fits on the eyepiece of the original K series cameras, can anyone inform me what the magnification factor is please?
Thanks Steve.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Pentax K Magnifier - What is the magnification? at 11/07/2005 - 12:38

bretbysteve
Hi,
Does anyone have experience of the Beattie Intenscreens, which are supposed to give 2 f-stops more light transmission?
I just want opinions of users, both good and bad...do they work well?

Thanks Steve.

Comment by bretbysteve posted on Pentax LX...anyone tried BEATTIE replacement screens? at 27/05/2005 - 14:33

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo