bjolester

Joined: 30th January 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bjolester
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and valuable advice!

Comment by bjolester posted on Pentax KP at 18/03/2025 - 13:25

bjolester
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Well you got an excellent deal on the KP - that's about the normal price for body only, so you got the lenses for free. Virtually all the people who have bought a KP love it, the only real downside being it's not as sturdy as a K-5 or K-3.

The K-1, and all FF cameras really, are a different kettle of fish and would be much more suitable for shooting manual lenses and giving them the field of view that was originally intended. It's a lot bigger and heavier though. If you're happy with the KP then just stick with that. You may find the urge to have a FF returns, or it may not.
Even though I have been saving up funds for a future K-1ii purchase, I could not pass on the KP pluss 18-135/55-300 deal. It’s a lovely little camera, and I guess I will use it a lot.
Up untill now I have found the combination of the big and heavy Pentax 67ii and an aps-c DSLR a perfect kombination. When doing landscape photography the 67ii on a tripod and the DSLR handheld. Due to the very high costs of film and developing i might give up on medium format film and eventually replace the 67ii with some kind of digital fullframe camera. On the other hand, maybe I will be just fine with my KP. Time will tell.

Comment by bjolester posted on Pentax KP at 18/03/2025 - 13:24

bjolester
LennyBloke wrote:

As you've mentioned in your post, probably the biggest advantage of the K1 is the ability to take full advantage of those superb full frame lenses - from that perspective I value the K1 highly, if I were to offer advice it would be to have both of them - play with them for a while and then if one disappoints sell it (but it won't

Good luck with your choices
"Have both of them" - I was hoping that this solution was not suggested - my wallet does not agree
But I guess you are right, I need to check out the K-1ii also eventually. For now I am content with learning how to use the 2017 tech in the KP, it is really a big leap up from the K-5iis which has been my main camera the last ten years.

A last question: What software do I need to process Pixel Shift RAW files from the KP?

Comment by bjolester posted on Pentax KP at 18/03/2025 - 09:19

bjolester
I have for many years been using both digital and film cameras (35mm and medium format). My digital cameras have for many years been the K-5, K-5iis and Ricoh GRii. These cameras all have a 16mp Sony sensor, and in many ways give similar (very good) results. The last few years I have been shooting less film, mostly due to the absurdly high costs of film and developing in my country. I have also been interested in checking out the more recent Pentax DSLR innovations like pixel shift, 5-axis stabilisation, and sensors with more resolution. As a consequence of this I have been looking into the more recent DSLR offerings from Pentax. My eyes have been on the K-1ii, mainly because I have a largish collection of K, M. A and FA * and limited primes, where there are lenses that probably could function well on the K-1ii.
Last week I stumbled upon a great deal (£ 550) for a Pentax KP, 18-135 and 55-300 PLM. The KP had shutter count of roughly 1000 and the camera and lenses appeared unused. My fullframe ambitions have made a u-turn, and I am very happy with the images I get from the KP. The KP + 55-300 PLM combination, for instanse, is surprisingly good. I am now unsure whether the K-1ii still is worth pursuing?

For those of you that have experience with both the KP and the K-1/K-1ii, what do you think about these cameras? Is the K-1ii miles ahead in terms of image quality?

Comment by bjolester posted on Pentax KP at 17/03/2025 - 20:11

bjolester
Excellent IR shot!

Comment by bjolester posted on IR mono at 10/03/2025 - 18:12

bjolester
Very nice set. Number one stands out, really great capture.

Comment by bjolester posted on Another beautiful morning at 10/03/2025 - 18:11

bjolester
Sunlight and Clouds is a very fitting title to this set of images. Lovely cloud formations and interesting compositions. My favorites are number 4 and 8.

Comment by bjolester posted on Sunlight and clouds at 02/03/2025 - 23:10

bjolester
Excellent set of images, I like all of them! Thank you for sharing.

I remember reading about Pentax lenses suitable for IR photography some years ago on this forum, possibly comments from "Aliengrove" (Jon Bowles). The DA18-55mm and the DA15/4 were amongst the lenses mentioned. Anyway I am using these two lenses om my IR converted (830nm) Pentax camera and they function well.

Comment by bjolester posted on Some IR K7 offerings at 28/02/2025 - 20:41

bjolester
lesjacksons wrote:
Is horrible, please put it back to how it was.

I liked seeing the gallery with the latest topics below.
I agree!

Comment by bjolester posted on New home page at 17/02/2025 - 21:35

bjolester
It is obvious that the fellow who made the LX video you have linked above, has spent a lot of time producing the video. There are many interesting photos of Pentax designers and engineers, detailed shots of the inside of the LX finder, comparison photo shots etc., everything done to a high photographic standard. With this background it is hard to grasp why the soundtrack (music) is so ill matched, as if the music is not so important? Obviously the music plays an all important role in communicating or supporting the content of a video (or film).

Big thumbs up for dumping the TV👍 I have been contemplating doing the very same thing.

Have a nice weekend😊

Comment by bjolester posted on Pentax LX at 16/02/2025 - 09:12

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo