AdrianP

Joined: 31st January 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

AdrianP
Hi George

I've been interested in the EEE for a while now - so it's finally out is it? I've used Linux for a few years now and Xandros, the core OS for the EEE, since version 2.

Setting the repositories that your computer can access (the stores of software built specifically for your distribution) is easy. On my desktop version, you open up Xandros Networks (the graphical front end for the software update and installation system) and add them under the 'edit>Set Application Sources' tab. Alternatively, you can add them manually by editing a text file called 'etc/apt/sources.list'. Mine looks like this:

#~deb http://www.geekconnection.org xandros4 main
deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/4.0/pkg xandros4.0-xn main contrib non-free
deb http://xnv4.xandros.com/4.0/upkg-i386 unsupported4.0-xn main contrib non-free

The top one is a 'repo' maintained by users and commented out so I've disabled my system from accessing it at the moment. The others are the two main Xandros repos. Simply copy and paste the whole line of text (not just the url element) into either Xandros Networks or sources.list and then either run an update or, from an administrator terminal window, type 'apt-get update'. More information can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/2zwwqn

Finding the root password is a different matter, though. Maybe have another look through your documentation but, if not, this information might help: http://tinyurl.com/2ktuxk . It's intended for use on the desktop version so yours might be different. If all else fails, it might be some help.

Good luck with your EEE though. Where did you get it, might I ask?

Adrian

Comment by AdrianP posted on Portable data storage and a Linux question (or two) at 18/11/2007 - 10:16

AdrianP
Quote:
Don't go to Romford or Basildon in Essex after 6pm on a Friday night !
I resent that remark! Most people should be OK in Romford until at least 7pm so don't go putting the guys off!!

Comment by AdrianP posted on Travel with K10 at 17/11/2007 - 09:36

AdrianP
I've been looking through my old negative files looking for a suitable candidate for this competition and found a few that, despite some promise, always eluded a decent print in the darkroom. That was despite a load of stuff like dodging and burning, pre-flashing and split grade printing. Having just scanned one or two in (and being forced into a rare foray into Windows to do it) I can see some real potential with a couple of them that I never had the darkroom skill to bring out before. But if I could, I most certainly would have done.

So digital just allows me bring out something from the negative that my lack of darkroom skill could never have done.

Just my $0.02

Comment by AdrianP posted on Discussion: Weekly Competition #19 The Monochrome Landscape at 17/11/2007 - 14:30

AdrianP
Avebury Stone circle.

Comment Image


Pentax K1000 plus Tamron 28mm lens. Ilford Pan F and orange filter.

Comment by AdrianP posted on Weekly Competition #19 The Monochrome Landscape at 18/11/2007 - 17:25

AdrianP
Hi all

I'm going to be attending a conference in Perthshire next week, in Crieff actually, but should have a few hours spare for some photography on the way up and back from Edinburgh airport. Any thoughts on locations I could get to along the way without too much of a detour? Open moorland, mountains and lakes (or is that lochs ) would be good.

Grateful for any ideas.

Adrian

Comment by AdrianP posted on Ideas for a half day in Perthshire at 01/12/2007 - 21:36

AdrianP
I agree that the effect is terribly hackneyed now but, leafing through a couple of collections of the works of Fay Godwin and John Blakemore, I can't help but feel that the effect can be beautiful when properly done. Actually, it was some of Blakemore's seascapes and landscapes, with the effect applied to grass and trees, that first got me interested in photography.

I also like the effects of an alternative version of this technique, suggested by Barry Thornton, which is to take multiple short exposures of a scene so that you get a very natural perceptual effect; a sort of series of frozen moments overlaid on top of each other. Perhaps with digital and HDR software, this technique could get a second lease of life.

All that being said, I've got to congratulate Simon on the set of pictures - I really like them.

Adrian

Comment by AdrianP posted on Autumn arrives in the Vale of Clywd, North Wales at 24/11/2007 - 10:19

AdrianP
Lilly

Thanks for judging and setting a really interesting topic. And, of course, congratulations to the winner. When you set this competition I must confess that the idea popped into my head pretty much straight away. I thought of a day, Saturday, and wanted to capture something of the essence. The impression I was trying to give was one of a long, leisurely, breakfast that summed up the lazyness of the day for me.

Lighting was a wireless AF360FGZ flash, at about 90 degrees to the subject, pointing 45 degrees down through a shoot-through brolly. It was also the first time I really tried processing a colour image with Lightzone - I simply couldn't get it to look right with Bibble.

Adrian

Comment by AdrianP posted on Weekly Competition #20 "My Day" at 26/11/2007 - 17:44

AdrianP
Saturday

Comment Image

K10D, 16-45 zoom.

Comment by AdrianP posted on Weekly Competition #20 "My Day" at 25/11/2007 - 15:26

AdrianP
Bunhill Fields cemetery, Islington/City of London borders

Comment Image


Techie Details: K10D, Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm. 3 RAW images combined and tone maped in EasyHDR Pro.

Comment by AdrianP posted on Weekly Competition #17: The Mark of Man at 04/11/2007 - 16:43

AdrianP
Thanks for the responses. I've actually done what I should have done earlier and gone into my nearest camera shop, LCE in the Strand, and asked. Guess what? They had one in stock! I tried it out on a K10D body and it felt really good. So good that I bought it. Not as cheap as some places but not as expensive as others but at least I got the chance to try it out before buying and should have no problems taking it back. So I'm a pretty happy, but somewhat poorer, camper.

Adrian

Comment by AdrianP posted on Availability of Sigma lenses at 02/11/2007 - 17:22

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo