Yet more K-3 v. K-5mkii questions

womble

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 13:31
I know that these two cameras have been the subject of endless, and at times somewhat unnecessarily acrimonious, debate since the K-3 was launched, but I am hoping that users of these two cameras may be able to help answer some questions.

I have long been less-than-happy with my K20D and have been planning to buy a newer dSLR. Some bug in the credit card address system prevented me from buying the K-5mkii in March before my round-the-world trip. Now I have the choice between the K-3 and the K-5mkii.

Although the temptation of the newest, shiniest, toy on the block is great, I am unsure that for my requirements (please note the emphasis) that the K-3 is much of an advantage over the K-5mkii. The sorts of things I have in mind are:

a) I use a great deal of "legacy" glass, i.e., more often that not I am using K or M series glass, occasionally A series, and sometimes M42 Takumars. How do the K3 and K5 compare in accuracy of metering with legacy glass (the K20D sucks) and how easy is manual focus? I know the K-3 has "focus peeking" in live view, but I don't know if the K-5 does. I'm not generally a fan of live view preferring to use the viewfinder on most occasions.

b) What is the IQ like using legacy glass? Are there differences in things like abberations? I'm wondering if the more tightly packed photosites in the K-3 sensor might actually make those sorts of issues worse rather than better.

c) There has been a lot of talk about focusing on moving things, but what, in general terms, are they like to use on more static subjects such as landscapes and architecture. Much of a muchness?

d) Has anyone tried the FLU card? One of the main things that interests me is being able to use that sort of technology. Can the K-5mkii be used tethered? I do a fair amount of technical work on a copystand and being able to check focus, lighting etc. and download images immediately would be very helpful.

Thoughts and advice gratefully accepted. I could get 200 rolls of Kodak Ektar for the cost of a K-3 body so I'm not going to jump too quickly!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 13:56
I think its fair that anyone can make a comment, and then of course that comment is open for discussion - thats what the forum is all about, so I'll say what I think as I would like to help, and I've taken a great interest in the matter.

The K3 is clearly a great camera. Most of the debate on IQ has related to the very high ISO performance - low iso performance is reported to be superb, and you mention architecture & landscapes, where the extra pixel resolution can't do any harm.

No need to debate the aa filter issue - with the K3 you have it both ways! Just need to know when to turn the simulator on

From what I have read, and users report, the AF performance on static subjects would be similar - but again, the K3 has the advantage of many more points plus extra configuration and control features for the AF system if you need it.

I believe the FLU capability adds extra flexibility in this respect in a number of ways - not least the ability to view images on another screen device remotely. Got to be good!

And the second SD card slot will prove very useful I think - as an instant backup, or simply double capacity, or to divide the RAW & JPEGs for organisational convenience.

I think its fair to leave the abberation issue to actual users, absolutely, hopefully someone will have experience of that, although it may be too early for any real testing yet. So, I would say the K3 sounds to me to be very much worth it for you! Hope that helps
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 16/11/2013 - 14:02

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 14:03
There are actual speed figures for AF/shutter response in the EPZ review. These have become steadily faster, but you can look them up in the various reviews.

There have been no Flu cards around yet, but they may start to appear very soon. Did someone say the special silver edition was supplied with one?

The performance of lenses may well change, but all lenses. Image quality is a combination of sensor and lens and I certainly found the 18-135mm was better with the K-3. The Limited lenses should have the best overall results. The prospect for legacy glass remains to be seen.
Best regards, John

Blythman

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 14:13
Flu Card launch has been put back to February
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 14:26
Hi Chris

I'm not sure I can advise on IQ just yet as I've only had the K-3 for a week and taken less than 300 shots. However, I can tell you the following:

- Focus Peaking is a big advantage with MF legacy glass - it makes accurate focussing a breeze, much easier than the viewfinder. The K-3 has it, but the K-5ii variants do not

- The K-3 focusses at least 50% faster with screwdrive lenses as it has a more powerful screwdrive motor - this is a significant advantage with non SDM AF lenses

- The K-3 seems to marginally more accurate on focussing, but the K-5ii was already good in this regard

- The K-3 has more accurate metering - stop-down on the legacy lenses appears to be very good indeed

- The K-3 has more accurate white balance settings

- Second SD slot is a boon for RAW and JPEG shooting - I haven't used it yet for flu card as I don't have one

- I can't comment on the relative IQ of legacy glass between the K-3 and the K-5iis, I would expect the K-3 to be the sharper with quality glass, but no idea about the CA's

I have both the K-5iis and K-3 and I would happily recommend either, whether or not the things I've listed above would be worth you paying the extra for a K-3 I'm not sure.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Algernon

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 14:27
The Flu card supplied in Australia is the bog standard 8GB
which has been around for quite some time.

The Pentax 16GB will have custom software for tethering.
Seems odd though that it's delayed.

I use an Eye-Fi card with the K-5 and it's great
for just sending test shots to the PC. It does it
automatically from anywhere in the house.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 16/11/2013 - 14:30

dcweather

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 15:16
If the new features suit you more in the K3 the big question will be can yuo afford the extra £300 for them which is usually the biggest dilemma!

PaulR

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 17:17
Hi

I've jumped from the K20D to the K3.
Never touched the K5II so cannot comment.
Obviously a big jump for me but here are my initial thoughts.

The camera is great to use, faster everything.

Focus is very good, Focus peaking is very,very good and fantastic for macro and stacking. I'm not a big fan of using the back screen, or should I say wasn't until the K3. Good for landscape and architecture and for my back.

Noise is not a problem for me, (never shoot black cats in a coal cellar) if it shows it seems cleaner or finer like film and to be frank I have not used noise reduction in lightroom 4.4 yet except default colour 25%.

Raw files need very little post processing straight from the camera, which is a great time saver.

Hope this helps
My Flickr Photostream
link
Pentax K3,Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG,SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

Fletcher8

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 17:37
I think the ability to turn the aa filter on and off, together with 27 focus points alone makes the K3 very, very attractive.

The AF for moving subjects is defiantly better on the K3 than the K5ll, as I own a K5lls and a K3 and used both of them over 3 days photographing the RAC Rally, I ended up just using the K3 and swapping lenses. but the K5ll is still a very good camera.

The duel SD card slots is a really nice feature and when the Pentax Flu card does arrive, it will no doubt provide some interesting options and features.

IQ like using legacy glass? I would imagine no different to the K5ll, but as I have only used FA lenses on the K3, i really should let other people comment.

If I were thinking of buying a brand new Pentax body, I would go for the K3 as I doubt Pentax will trump this for at least another two years, and I think Full Frame will be their next big offering.

If I were buying second hand in relation to the needs and requirements you have outlined, above I think I would buy a K5lls.

Both cameras are a joy to use and the quality of images from the K5lls are superb, the extra pixels from the K3 are more appealing to my needs, but moving up from a K20 to either a K5ll or a K3 you will really see a big difference.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 16/11/2013 - 17:40

JohnX

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 18:48
I've read over on the other Forum that the K-3 has metering issues with m42 lenses, something it shares with the K-30 but not, it seems, with the K-5 series.

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 18:58
JohnX wrote:
I've read over on the other Forum that the K-3 has metering issues with m42 lenses, something it shares with the K-30 but not, it seems, with the K-5 series.

I've only tried it with bayonet mount 'M' series lenses, I'll give it a go with the M42's tonight and post some observations.

Regards
David

Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 19:36
Just done a quick test indoors in dim artificial light and the metering on the K-3 with M42 lenses appears to be just about perfect. No issues at all. Also, interestingly, the focus confirmation when manually focussing via the viewfinder is just about spot-on, much more accurate than I've seen with previous Pentax bodies. I tried it at F3.5 with a SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5 lens.

Regards
David

Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 16/11/2013 - 19:40

stub

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 20:14
Quote:
Thoughts and advice gratefully accepted. I could get 200 rolls of Kodak Ektar for the cost of a K-3 body so I'm not going to jump too quickly!

But could you develop it without taking on more cost....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

womble

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 22:31
stub wrote:
Quote:

But could you develop it without taking on more cost....

Nope, but nor could I "develop" digital images without a computer and software...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2013 - 23:21
You already have the computer and software though.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.