Yet more K-3 v. K-5mkii questions

dpm

Link Posted 17/11/2013 - 08:35
you can do them in-camera too...

gartmore

Link Posted 17/11/2013 - 08:44
The points mentioned in this thread have convinced me to go for a K3 but I'm going to hold off a couple of months until the price falls and any bugs have been ironed out.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

K10D

Link Posted 17/11/2013 - 09:09
Algernon wrote:
The Flu card supplied in Australia is the bog standard 8GB
which has been around for quite some time.

Indeed it is Algi.

It did arrive with the camera. I don't intend to use the card or indeed the Pentax version if it appears but it's a good thing for those that do use this sort of item.

Best regards

geordie01

Link Posted 17/11/2013 - 09:13
No problem metering m42 lenses on a K30 here

dcweather

Link Posted 17/11/2013 - 10:37
gartmore wrote:
The points mentioned in this thread have convinced me to go for a K3 but I'm going to hold off a couple of months until the price falls and any bugs have been ironed out.

----------------------------------
Will it though if it sells well? Maybe it will fall by £100 when the PX offer goes? I wonder if anyone has done a profile of Pentax DSLR prices with time. My impression was that there is that first drop but then prices more or less stabilise.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 12:10
gartmore wrote:

I'm holding out until I win the lottery
Regards
Stan

PPG

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 12:41
tyronet2000 wrote:

I'm holding out until I win the lottery

Me too Stan. Besides I can't use Flu cards since they don't work with Windows phones.

cabstar

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 12:53
But they work through a web browser so should in theory work on windows phone. Reading the packaging the app just does the same as a web browser..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

robbiec

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 12:55
I was dithering a bit, sold off a few bits and pieces and was about to buy the K-3 when I took a step back and asked myself did I really need it and or want it. If I have any issue with my K-5 it is AF, specifically low light AF and the K-5II(S) resolves that. I'm not really a landscape photographer, or a wildlife enthusiast so the tracking AF while interesting was not a motivator for me. High ISO is though and for me the K-5II S still has the slight edge.

Sooo for the same money as a new K-3, I picked up a K-5II S (ex-demo, 2yr warranty), couple of batteries, an O-ME53 magnifying piece, D-BG4 grip and the icing on the cake is that this bundle also includes a DA*55.

For my photography a K5II S with a DA*55 beats a K-3 with a 18-55WR
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 13:04
cabstar wrote:
But they work through a web browser so should in theory work on windows phone. Reading the packaging the app just does the same as a web browser..

That may be so Gary - I haven't investigated it to any great degree tbh.
The K-3 sounds fantastic, but I am content with my K-5ii. I couldn't justify another upgrade, even if I had the money, which I don't.

I look forward to seeing lots more stunning, envy making, photos from all the lucky owners.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 13:32
Gwyn wrote:

I look forward to seeing lots more stunning, envy making, photos from all the lucky owners.

I think with the forum compression the (jealousy inducing) images we see now from many of the members on here will only look better it the actual print is seen. Obviously a poor image will still look poor no matter what
Regards
Stan

PPG

pengbai

Link Posted 19/11/2013 - 14:11
K3 is £1100, and with part exchange, probably £1000?

A good used k5iis, £500?

If playing legacy lenses a lot, I think K5iis is more than enough.

womble

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 07:54
cardiff_gareth wrote:
womble wrote:

[quote:3496ace15f="womble"]
d) Has anyone tried the FLU card? One of the main things that interests me is being able to use that sort of technology. Can the K-5mkii be used tethered? I do a fair amount of technical work on a copystand and being able to check focus, lighting etc. and download images immediately would be very helpful.

But your K20d does this?! Using PKTether which is a free download you can tether the K20d to a computer and from there activate the shutter, adjust exposure controls from either the camera or computer screen as to avoid vibrations on the copy stand. I think eye fi cards are compatible with the K20d, even the pro card for RAW file transfer but that would need a cable remote / shutter depress on the camera rather than hit 'fire' on your PC screen

Hi Gareth. I have used my K20D thethered on number of occasions but I think I am correct in saying you cannot thether a K-7 or the various K-5 variants which is why I was asking about the K-3.

Cheers Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 07:58
Thanks all. For my needs it looks like the focus peaking of the K-3 v. the IQ of the K-5ii... Hmmmmmm perhaps I should get a remaindered K-01 and spend the difference on a plane ticket to somewhere interesting!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

tyronet2000

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 08:13
womble wrote:
Thanks all. For my needs it looks like the focus peaking of the K-3 v. the IQ of the K-5ii... Hmmmmmm perhaps I should get a remaindered K-01 and spend the difference on a plane ticket to somewhere interesting!

Best wishes, Kris.

Sounds like a good plan to me
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.