Yet more K-3 v. K-5mkii questions

cabstar

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 08:20
Gwyn wrote:
cabstar wrote:
But they work through a web browser so should in theory work on windows phone. Reading the packaging the app just does the same as a web browser..

That may be so Gary - I haven't investigated it to any great degree tbh.
The K-3 sounds fantastic, but I am content with my K-5ii. I couldn't justify another upgrade, even if I had the money, which I don't.

I look forward to seeing lots more stunning, envy making, photos from all the lucky owners.

PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 08:31
I currently have the K-5II and all I wanted was faster af with more points and much better tracking ability. Looks like screw drive af is better and although SDM and HSM speed is the same it does apparently lock faster. More points has been addressed (although I would have liked even more spread over a wider area) but tracking is still fairly basic from the reviews I have read so far.

I will reserve judgement until I get to try one but think for the moment (like Ken) I will be holding off until a fairly hefty price drop takes place, Airshows don't start for months yet and the K-5II is more than capable for everything else.

I went from K10D to K20D to K-7 to K-5 to K-5II quite rapidly on the promise of faster af from Pentax and this time my money will probably go on a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 MKII
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

timothyw

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 12:57
To be fair Mike, isn't it true that the AF did get faster between all of those cameras and appears to be better still with the K-3?

For me, focus speed and functionality was 'good enough' with the K-5 (mk1) and that's what I continue to use.

The increased number of presumably smaller AF points with the K-3 seems to be a major attraction and an encouraging move given how long we have been stuck on 11 points. It hardly seems fair that we judge it because of a somewhat vague and difficult to compare 'tracking ability' which it may or may not be lacking, and which is something that could be improved with firmware upgrades over the lifecycle of the camera.

Anyhow, you can add me to the list of people that can't justify the K-3s expense, and I will be steering well clear of SRS so as to avoid the risk of temptation for the next few months!

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 13:46
As I said in my post Timothy, I will reserve judgement until I try a K-3 but as for tracking ability being difficult to compare, I have my 7D here (which was released the same time as the original K-5 so must be approx 3 or 4 years old now?) .. it will be pretty easy to test the two cameras side by side. We all judge things by different criteria, mine happens to be the tracking where others will have different ideas on whether the K-3 is worth the upgrade.

As I have said before in other posts, the sensor in the K-3 looks better than any APS-C camera I have seen so far .. for that alone it will be worth it to a lot of people.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 22/11/2013 - 13:55

K10D

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 15:16
K3.

High res.

Super fast screw drive AF.

Mediocre tracking.

Great stills & landscape APS-C.

Fast frame rate on static subjects otherwise low hit rate on moving subjects.

Actually worth the difference from a K5 II -- no as Joe soap wont see the difference in the print.

Great for serious Pentaxians -- of course!

It's a step too short in the right direction.

"The above opinion is that of an owner user".

michaelblue

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 16:32
womble wrote:
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Quote:

[quote:3496ace15f="womble"]
d) Has anyone tried the FLU card? One of the main things that interests me is being able to use that sort of technology. Can the K-5mkii be used tethered? I do a fair amount of technical work on a copystand and being able to check focus, lighting etc. and download images immediately would be very helpful.

But your K20d does this?! Using PKTether which is a free download you can tether the K20d to a computer and from there activate the shutter, adjust exposure controls from either the camera or computer screen as to avoid vibrations on the copy stand. I think eye fi cards are compatible with the K20d, even the pro card for RAW file transfer but that would need a cable remote / shutter depress on the camera rather than hit 'fire' on your PC screen

Hi Gareth. I have used my K20D thethered on number of occasions but I think I am correct in saying you cannot thether a K-7 or the various K-5 variants which is why I was asking about the K-3.

Cheers Kris.

I used my K7 with PK Tether, no problem
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

cabstar

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:34
I messaged flu card through their facebook page and they say the flucard can be controlled through a web browser so is windows Phone compatible, which makes it the first wifi card to be so
Concert photography

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:36
cabstar wrote:
I messaged flu card through their facebook page and they say the flucard can be controlled through a web browser so is windows Phone compatible, which makes it the first wifi card to be so

Glad to hear that Gary. I still won't be getting a K-3 though, unless I win the lottery.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 22/11/2013 - 19:37

cabstar

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:40
Gwyn wrote:
cabstar wrote:

Glad to hear that Gary. I still won't be getting a K-3 though, unless I win the lottery.

I wont be upgrading until April now, wait for the new tax year. I have no major shoots planned until then either so can see how the price goes and see what happens with other FF marques...
Concert photography

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:47
timothyw wrote:

For me, focus speed and functionality was 'good enough' with the K-5 (mk1) and that's what I continue to use.

After having spent the last few months happily using my K10 with old manual focus lenses, I dusted off my K5 today and spent all afternoon taking a variety of photographs of different things, inside and out, near and far, still and moving... I can't believe how good it is at focusing swiftly and with unerring accuracy. Only one of 160 shots was blurred and that was due to camera shake. If the K3 is better, then it truly is a remarkable camera. Whether it's more than twice as good as a K5 is, of course, another matter.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

davidstorm

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:51
bwlchmawr wrote:
If the K3 is better, then it truly is a remarkable camera. Whether it's more than twice as good as a K5 is, of course, another matter.

From a static focussing point of view it is definitely a lot better than the standard K-5 Andrew, especially in difficult lighting conditions. I lost so many decent shots on my K-5 to poor focussing that I lost a lot of confidence in it. I didn't find that with the K-5iis, nor with the K-3 and I would say the K-3 is a definite step forward from the iis.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.