Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Windows 10 Stuff, questions & advice

Lubbyman
Posted 30/11/2019 - 13:27 Link
And WD support says the same thing, so it must be right! link

Steve
Lubbyman
Posted 30/11/2019 - 16:28 Link
And here's how to map a drive without messing around with SMB 1.0.

Find the IP address of your MyCloud. Should be able to get it by logging into the MyCloud dashboard, select Settings then Network.

In File Explorer, right click on 'This PC' or similar (in LH pane). A context menu appears. Click on Map Network Drive. A box appears, asking for drive letter and folder. For the folder, enter [IP address][Share name] (don't include the square brackets!). Make sure the 'Reconnect at sign-in' box is ticked or you'll have to do it all again every time you log on. Then click Finish and the folder should be mapped to the specified drive.

It works for me. Can't think why it shouldn't work for you.

To be fair to WD, this is a MS Windows issue. The Network tree in File Explorer used SMB 1.0. When SMB 1.0 was withdrawn/disabled, the Network tree could no longer work (for WD MyCloud or anything else). MS does explain how to get round it but you've got to know what to look for and do some creative searching to find it.

Well, today has been a good day because I've learnt something new. So thanks, Mr Womble!

Steve
womble
Posted 30/11/2019 - 22:34 Link
Thanks Steve, but that doesn't work either. I get the message:

"You can't access the shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."

As I am "the organization" that is cobblers... but at least I know it is a security issue...

ARGHHH

Thanks for all your help. K.

UPDATE Cracked it! I had to delve into the security settings but now it seems to work. Yay.

Thanks all. Phew...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Lubbyman
Posted 30/11/2019 - 23:14 Link
womble wrote:
UPDATE Cracked it! I had to delve into the security settings but now it seems to work. Yay.

Come on, don't be shy, tell us what you did!

Steve

PS: MS support site says that the message is to do with SMB 2, so I was looking in the right sort of area.
womble
Posted 02/12/2019 - 21:21 Link
It was the SMB security thingy. I think I enabled the wrong variant a few days ago. None of the help screens (either Microsoft's or WD's actually match what my screens look like...

Anyway, it works now. Just need to sit back and get hacked...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Pentaxophile
Posted 03/12/2019 - 19:50 Link
I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last weekend, via the free upgrade from Microsoft - which still surprisingly works: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

I like it a lot. The search bar near the home button is great. The task view toggle is great. The windows resizing seems a lot easier for working in two windows side by side.

The only thing I'm missing is being able to search by date in Windows Explorer. It can be done but you have to actually type 'datemodified:' and enter the date. In Windows 7 I could click and bring up a little calendar and select a single date or a range. This was handy when searching for a file you know you modified on a certain date, but aren't sure where it is on your system. I also use it for my timesheets for work, if I forget what I was doing on a certain day I can enter the date and then the files I was working on appear.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Pentaxophile
Posted 03/12/2019 - 19:55 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
Slightly on and off topic but with black Friday being here I'm debating a SSD to speed up the system. Does anyone know how I can clone exactly the full contents on the HHD onto the SSD so I can just unplug one and plug the other in?

Ta

Hi Gareth, I bought a Sandisk SSD and it came with a software download to clone the existing drive. Just plugged the new SSD in, ran the software, and swapped the drives over the next day. If I can do it anyone can! The difference in performance was phenomenal. When editing pics in Lightroom, it really helps if you have them on the SSD itself rather than an external drive by the way. After a few months, when I won't need to edit them, I will shift them onto the external drive to save space though.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
JAK
Posted 03/12/2019 - 21:14 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
When editing pics in Lightroom, it really helps if you have them on the SSD itself rather than an external drive by the way.

It's best to keep the SSD purely for the operating system and use your existing drive for data files.
SSDs will expire quicker the more the drive is used so just reading the OS from it reduces unnecessary read/writes.
I do agree using external drives over USB is slower than with internal drives. I'm presuming the use of a PC base unit which can hold several hard disks rather than a singe drive laptop.
John K
Edited by JAK: 03/12/2019 - 21:14
Lubbyman
Posted 03/12/2019 - 22:55 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
The only thing I'm missing is being able to search by date in Windows Explorer. It can be done but you have to actually type 'datemodified:' and enter the date.

You can do it that way, but you don't have to type anything if you don't want to.

Left click in the search box and a Search Tools tab appears. Click on Date Modified, a drop-down menu appears. Click on Today and datemodified:today appears in the search box. Now left click on today (i.e. to the right of the semi-colon) and a calendar appears. You can now click on any date to search for a specific date or click and drag to search for a range of dates. And all done without typing anything at all.

If you want to repeat a recent search, look in Recent Searches rather than Date Modified and click on the search you want to do.

Steve
cardiffgareth
Posted 04/12/2019 - 17:04 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
cardiffgareth wrote:
Slightly on and off topic but with black Friday being here I'm debating a SSD to speed up the system. Does anyone know how I can clone exactly the full contents on the HHD onto the SSD so I can just unplug one and plug the other in?

Ta

Hi Gareth, I bought a Sandisk SSD and it came with a software download to clone the existing drive. Just plugged the new SSD in, ran the software, and swapped the drives over the next day. If I can do it anyone can! The difference in performance was phenomenal. When editing pics in Lightroom, it really helps if you have them on the SSD itself rather than an external drive by the way. After a few months, when I won't need to edit them, I will shift them onto the external drive to save space though.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get one. The Sandisk is down to £52 but there is also a Crucial that is £46. I can get the Crucial with the SSD adapter for less than the Sandisk but are they any good?

Comment Image

On a side note, this is my spec. I see that my PC uses DDR2 Ram. Is that as good as DDR4?

Also at some point I want to upgrade the twin processor to maybe i5 or i7 processors. Is there a way I can check if the motherboard (?) can accept them?
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
HarisF1
Posted 04/12/2019 - 17:35 Link
Just bought a 500gb Crucial MX500. They're good, comparable to the Evo 860 from Samsung but slightly cheaper. £57 for me so just a bit above your quote (which I guess will be the BX300).

I switched to SSD a while ago, massive difference in performance.

Use Google to find comparisons between SSDs. I found the Crucial was the best compromise between price, performance and warranty (5 years for MX vs 3 years for BX)
All the gear with no idea
redbusa99
Posted 04/12/2019 - 18:32 Link
Gareth, just find the motherboard make and model then check on manufacturers site for the spec, plus look at any updates that may be available such as the bios but i doubt you will be able to use ddr3 or 4 on the board and probably not a different type of cpu as the socket would be different i suspect. it will probably mean a new board then you could end up having to tell microsoft you have changed it as they will think you are trying to use your operating system on another computer. been at the same point as you a couple of times and just built a complete new computer to carry me through a few years each time.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Edited by redbusa99: 04/12/2019 - 18:33
ZillyD
Posted 08/01/2020 - 07:04 Link
I updated win7 to win10 according to Tutorial: free update win7 to win10. Everything worked fine in the very beginning. However, today, I found that I many video and audio files can not play on the windows media player. I tried to find solutions in the Microsoft community and youtube tutorial, all go failed. Anyone can help me?
Edited by ZillyD: 08/01/2020 - 07:04
redbusa99
Posted 09/01/2020 - 10:37 Link
media player is not shipped with certain versions of Windows10, this may help. or look for a different player.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-install-windows-media-player-12-windows-1...
odd lens or 2

Flickr
jeallen01
Posted 09/01/2020 - 21:22 Link
Install VLC Player - works with most video files

PS: and on almost any version of MS Windows although XP & earlier versions need an alternative version - as indicated on the VLC site.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Edited by jeallen01: 09/01/2020 - 21:49

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.