Windows 10 Stuff, questions & advice

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/11/2019 - 22:05
@womble

TBH, I don't think that this is a W10-specific issue.

OTOH, in those circumstances, I'd be sorely inclined to take the drive out of the WD enclosure and put it into a new NAS enclosure where it can be accessed as a normal network drive.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 27/11/2019 - 22:34

JAK

Lubbyman

Link Posted 27/11/2019 - 23:00
womble wrote:
Anyone have any experience of getting a Western Digital network drive (a MyCloudEX2Ultra in my case) to map to a drive in File Explorer? ... Ideally, I want it to show as my z drive so that my Lightroom catalogue will find all my image files.

Are you trying to map a folder or the entire drive? I have several folders on a WD MyCloud NAS mapped as drives in File Explorer (one for photos, one for music etc.) in Windows 10. That was done some time ago and was straightforward. Then Microsoft updated Windows 10 (early this year?) and made life more difficult. Something to do with security, apparently. Can you see the MyCloud under Network?

Steve

Lubbyman

Link Posted 28/11/2019 - 13:57
And here's the Microsoft article where they say what they did.
link
It might not be the cause of your problem, but on the other hand ...

Steve

womble

Link Posted 28/11/2019 - 22:14
Lubbyman wrote:
womble wrote:
Anyone have any experience of getting a Western Digital network drive (a MyCloudEX2Ultra in my case) to map to a drive in File Explorer? ... Ideally, I want it to show as my z drive so that my Lightroom catalogue will find all my image files.

Are you trying to map a folder or the entire drive? I have several folders on a WD MyCloud NAS mapped as drives in File Explorer (one for photos, one for music etc.) in Windows 10. That was done some time ago and was straightforward. Then Microsoft updated Windows 10 (early this year?) and made life more difficult. Something to do with security, apparently. Can you see the MyCloud under Network?

Steve

I have a share called "Kris" on my external drive which I had previously mapped to my Z drive. I'd like to do that again so that I don't have to spend an age reconstructing my Lightroom catalogue.

I seem to have spent a very long time getting Win 10 not to do all sorts of things it thinks are helpful. I don't ever remember spending quite so long turning things off with previous new computers!

Thanks all. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 12:40
womble wrote:
I have a share called "Kris" on my external drive which I had previously mapped to my Z drive. I'd like to do that again so that I don't have to spend an age reconstructing my Lightroom catalogue.

I've just done (on two W10 machines) what you want to do, so it's definitely possible - at least where I live! Here's what I did.
1. Click on 'Network' in LH pane, WDMyCloud appears under 'Storage' in RH pane.
2. Right click on WDMyCloud, a context menu appears, click 'Open'.
3. WDMyCloud's IP address appears under 'Network', shares appear in the RH pane. (If asked first for username and password, these are what you use to log in to WDMyCloud.)
4. Right click on the share you want to map. A context menu pops up. Click on 'Map network drive'.
5. The share should be visible against 'Folder'. Select drive letter (Z: or whatever you want). Make sure that 'Reconnect at sign-in' is checked if you want the share to be mapped every time you log on. Click 'Finish'
6. Hey presto! The share is mapped

It's Microsoft, though, so I can't promise it will work for everybody...

Good luck

Steve

womble

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 14:01
Lubbyman wrote:
womble wrote:

I've just done (on two W10 machines) what you want to do, so it's definitely possible - at least where I live! Here's what I did.
1. Click on 'Network' in LH pane, WDMyCloud appears under 'Storage' in RH pane.
2. Right click on WDMyCloud, a context menu appears, click 'Open'.
3. WDMyCloud's IP address appears under 'Network', shares appear in the RH pane. (If asked first for username and password, these are what you use to log in to WDMyCloud.)
4. Right click on the share you want to map. A context menu pops up. Click on 'Map network drive'.
5. The share should be visible against 'Folder'. Select drive letter (Z: or whatever you want). Make sure that 'Reconnect at sign-in' is checked if you want the share to be mapped every time you log on. Click 'Finish'
6. Hey presto! The share is mapped

It's Microsoft, though, so I can't promise it will work for everybody...

Good luck

Steve

Thanks for your help but it fails at step 1. The drive doesn't show in the File Manager at all. It did on Weds, but doesn't today.

Just to make things even better, I can access the drive through the web browser, but it only shows the first twenty or so folders in the my "My Pictures" folder. That gets me to "AGM"... I cannot see the other couple of hundred folders.

I have over 2TB of images on this drive...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 14:30
womble wrote:

Just to make things even better, I can access the drive through the web browser, but it only shows the first twenty or so folders in the my "My Pictures" folder. That gets me to "AGM"... I cannot see the other couple of hundred folders.

I have over 2TB of images on this drive...

Well I've solved that one, it doesn't work under Chrome but does with Firefox... AARRGGHHH

At least I can download the directories I need back onto my hard disk for the job in hand.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Last Edited by womble on 29/11/2019 - 14:30

JAK

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 14:48
Why not use Windows explorer? I presume you're FTP'ing to the drive presently?
John K

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 15:00
womble wrote:
Thanks for your help but it fails at step 1. The drive doesn't show in the File Manager at all. It did on Weds, but doesn't today.

Hmmm... I did the experiment shortly after I'd turned on the PC this morning. Just checked it (several hours later) and MyCloud no longer appears under 'Network'. So followed the old IT support department advice: turn it off then boot it up again. And it worked - MyCloud is back under 'Network'. So perhaps that will work for you...

Goodness knows what is really going on. It might even depend on the version of MyCloud (mine's about 4 years old). But I suspect the answer lies in that Microsoft article I referenced a few posts ago.

Steve

womble

Link Posted 29/11/2019 - 22:48
JAK wrote:
Why not use Windows explorer? I presume you're FTP'ing to the drive presently?

Windows Explorer worked fine on Win 7 but "File Explorer" on my new Win 10 machine doesn't even see the drive 99% of the time. The files were all uploaded to the drive via Windows Explorer on my old machine but I now need access to them on the new one. No FTP involved.

It was painful getting Windows Explorer to work on the old machine, but once it did it was fine for three years.

I've started a formal query with the WD help line. They take about four days to reply, normally.

Thanks Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

JAK

Link Posted 30/11/2019 - 00:12
I use a QNAP NAS and access it with Explorer on Win10 just fine. I did use a WD cloud drive but it used flash for its front end. The QNAP allows me to host my own web server from home and offers the facility for shared partitions too. All in all a much better purchase. I access the QNAP either through the web or directly over the home network. It has a PC program that finds the drive on the network and sets up the link and assigns a drive letter.
I recall I did have direct Explorer drive letters set up for the WD Cloud drive though that was (and and still is) on my Win 7 PC. The (rather poor) flash based web portal that had was disabled due to security concerns so the drive is now unused. The QNAP is miles better! Other similar drives are made by Synology.
John K

womble

Link Posted 30/11/2019 - 08:44
I certainly wont be buying WD next time around! Thanks for the tip about QNAP. K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/11/2019 - 09:20
I have just bought a qnap Nas to use as a Plex server (amongst other things). Looks a decent little Nas.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Lubbyman

Link Posted 30/11/2019 - 11:55
womble wrote:
Windows Explorer worked fine on Win 7 but "File Explorer" on my new Win 10 machine doesn't even see the drive 99% of the time.

I think the problem lies with MS having disabled something called SMB 1.0 in Windows 10 as from end of last year. This is a network comms protocol that is known to have security vulnerabilities and has now been replaced with more secure versions 2 and 3 (which appear to have been available for several years). If your WD MyCloud only supports 1.0, it won't now be seen by Windows 10 File Explorer. However, you can enable SMB 1.0 in Windows 10 via Control Panel>'Programs and Features'>'Turn Windows features on or off'. Tick the box against 'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support', then OK and wait for it to install SMB 1.0. It will probably take a couple of minutes and need a restart. Open File Explorer and MyCloud magically appears under Network just like it always used to, then you can find your shares and map to a drive as previously.

All you then need to do is decide whether you want to continue running with an outdated, vulnerable protocol or prefer to switch it off until next time you need it. Switching it off is just a matter of unticking the box against SMB 1.0 in Windows Features. Shares mapped to drives should still be mapped even if SMB 1.0 is switched off. Worth noting that ticking SMB 1.0 actually activates 3 things, including automatic removal when it isn't actively needed during normal system usage. You can select whether you want this to happen by expanding SMB 1.0 in Windows Features (click on + to left of tick box) and ticking/unticking as appropriate.

As for why WD MyCloud doesn't support SMB 2 or 3, it might be because they use Linux. MS says that if a device won't communicate via SMB 2 or 3 "These devices are not likely running Windows. They are more likely running older versions of Linux, Samba, or other types of third-party software to provide SMB services. Often, these versions of Linux and Samba are, themselves, no longer supported."

Ain't life wonderful?? I'm now off to check whether last night's bonfire has burnt out. Much more fun!

Hope that helps.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.