Is the Nikon Coolpix P1000 a compact camera ?

skydata

Link Posted 26/12/2019 - 16:15
It was nice sunny day yesterday so I spent most of it at Calshot in Hamphire.

It's the place where the Spitfire and Sunderland planes were based, but the hangars
are now a huge activity centre for rock climbing etc. Fawley coal-fired power station
is being dismembered and a new marina with posh apartments are going to be built.

While taking photos with my ancient Ricoh Caplio GX8 I came across a lady using a
strange looking nikon camera. When I enquired, she showed me the top plate, it
was a Nikon Coolpix P1000, and it was huge, definately not the Nikon Coolpix's I
have noticed in the past.

She used to have a comprehensive Pentax 35mm outfit but got fed up changing lenses
so she bought the Nikon and uses it all the time.

It has an optical zoom lens from 24 to 3000 mm !!, plus another digital zoom taking
you up to 6000 mm. Apparently it has a special crater mode for taking photos of the
moon.

I had a look on the Nikon website and it weighs a stonking 1.4 Kg, so out of interest
I weighed my LX and the 35-105 mm zoom, which comes to 'only' 1.3 Kg.

I am tempted to get something like the Nikon, but not so hefty, but the only easy
choice is Pentax/Ricoh - because they have nothing on offer, so what would other
people choose ?

johnriley

Link Posted 26/12/2019 - 23:25
I would choose a lightweight Pentax APS-C DSLR and whatever lenses were appropriate. For an all-in-one solution the 18-270mm might go nicely.

Quality will be better and exposures more realistic in darker conditions.
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 27/12/2019 - 10:12
Sony and Panasonic both make several models with very large zoom ranges but I'm not sure how they compare in weight.

A DSLR of any type wouldn't even come close to that zoom range no matter what lens you paired it with.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

vic cross

Link Posted 27/12/2019 - 10:53
A recent copy of E Photozine had a whole list of Bridge cameras with "BIG" zooms and "BIG" weights. Look it up on there.
Merry Christmas to all and a happy new year when it gets here.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 27/12/2019 - 17:20
My experience with a Canon SX60 bridge which gives a 21mm to 1365mm zoom is that whilst picture quality is ok it nowhere near matches a cropped shot from my K70 with the Pentax 55 to 300 lens. The quality of the digital viewfinder is also poor so you have no option but to use the rear screen.

I now only use the Canon as a quick snap shot to identify birds when out. Where I am looking for a quality shot then I will always use the K70.

Paul
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.