What's your latest acquisition?

Lubbyman

Link Posted 28/01/2020 - 21:25
Just got one of these...

... which lets me take pictures like this ...

... with this.

It's a Q-mount to 52mm reversing ring. Manual everything, of course, and electronic shutter so no vibrations from the camera. The lens is a Cosina 24mm KA that I hardly ever use now. A picture of mm markings on a ruler shows that it gives about 1:1 on the Q-S1 (the garish colour is because it's transparent and backlit by a computer screen):

Its looking promising for a table-top macro setup. And it may just have given a new lease of life to the old Cosina.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 01:44
That really does look like a fun bit of kit.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Benz3ne

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 16:02
An(other) ME Super, this time in black. I instantly dismissed the bundle I received (lens and camera) as the Tokina 28mm 2.8 RMC won't stop down; it's stuck wide-open. The camera looked in a bit of a sorry state with corrosion around the door edges and, for whatever reason, it wasn't enjoying winding, cocking or firing. I was minded to return it and looked to start that process, while attempting to wind, cock, fire the camera in due course. Fairly quickly, the camera started winding intermittently, not firing but letting me wind ad infinitum. I continued with this while pressing the shutter every so often. Lo and behold, it fired here and there. The more I continued, the more readily it fired. After about 5-10 minutes of this, it's now winding, cocking and firing every time without issue. Electronics all seem to work (I need to double check the metering as it came across a little 'lazy' to start, but now seems to be working okay), and all user modes work. The rewind knob felt stiff, everything felt a little 'dusty-grindy' and the shutter door latch was behaving, in a word, awkwardly.

I've since started cleaning up the camera, removing the rewind knob/ISO dial and mode select dial, cleaning those up with a little bit of naphtha and administering a drop of 10:1 naphthail into moving parts that are easy to access. Everything feels a lot more 'freed up', looks cleaner, sounds better... works better. I think I'll continue to smart 'er up! I'm tempted to change the colour of the leatherette but will approach that in due course... New seals throughout commences tomorrow.

Tokina still not working as yet. I've read up on sticky aperture but can only go so far with dismantling lenses right now.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 29/01/2020 - 16:03

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 19:27
davidwozhere wrote:
That really does look like a fun bit of kit.

You're right there! More character than a K3 + real macro lens, too . I've thought for a while that a Q ought to be useful for macro - lots of pixels in a small space. Just needed to work out how to do it with a small lens that wouldn't dwarf the Q. Eventually the penny dropped. And it's always satisfying to find a new use for something that's been gathering dust for a while.

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 30/01/2020 - 17:35
Well my Wacom tablet arrived today and so far it all looks fine, although Amazon said it had damaged packaging (hence the reduced price) it looks brand new and never been opened, so a bargain! For some reason you have to go through all your computer security settings and allow the tablet access which took a while but all now ok.

RobL

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 10:42
Everything I have seen on YouTube by photographers suggests that once you start with the Wacom tablet you never go back to a mouse. Well, It's been only an hour and I am ready to throw it in the bin! The two buttons on the pen, which can be set to right and left click as on a mouse, are way too small so I have to keep adjusting my grip to locate them and it's all just too damn fiddly. I am also spending more time using the keyboard with my left hand to select and enter commands which is more time consuming. At best it might be useful for certain functions so I could switch between the tablet and a mouse but that wasn't what it was bought for. Admittedly I haven't tailored the various functions yet so we shall see.

smudge

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 11:11
I acquired a Wacom tablet about 5 years ago but have never got used to it. Occasionally I give it another try but within 10 minutes go back to using the mouse. I'm only hanging on to it because it was a gift.
Regards, Philip

jeallen01

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 19:16
My limited "experience" with the Waycom "Bamboo" tablet I asked for as a present 4-5 years ago prety much leads me to same conclusions as RobL and smudge - probably "helped" by the tablet being a small one and my hands being quite large and "clumsy"!

It stays in the box for 99.9% of the time except for the 0.1% when I take it out, charge it up ("not easy" because it uses a special micro-USB connector and nothing else I have will fit!), give it another "go" for an hour or two - and then give up and put it back in the box.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 31/01/2020 - 19:17

RobL

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 19:31
jeallen01 wrote:
My limited "experience" with the Waycom "Bamboo" tablet I asked for as a present 4-5 years ago prety much leads me to same conclusions as RobL and smudge - probably "helped" by the tablet being a small one and my hands being quite large and "clumsy"!

It stays in the box for 99.9% of the time except for the 0.1% when I take it out, charge it up ("not easy" because it uses a special micro-USB connector and nothing else I have will fit!), give it another "go" for an hour or two - and then give up and put it back in the box.

Well at least it has a nice box!

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 20:48
I have a Wacom bamboo too. It took a while to get used to it but for a couple of years I used it exclusively, but have gone back to a mouse now, as I just don't do enough editing to need it. It is a very old model and I am sure the newer ones are better.
Give it a bit of time.

RobL

Link Posted 01/02/2020 - 09:03
Thanks Gwyn, I bought the tablet hoping it would help with my day job designing in CAD software but as that requires many more right and left clicks as well as constant zooming and panning then itís never going to work except for the very occasional freehand stuff. In Lightroom the only thing I have found it does better so far is the brush tool and of course pro photographers are using this far more extensively, hence their evangelistic enthusiasm. I have a version with finger responsive touch so it sits next to my mouse mat to access menus etc. Something else I have noticed is the buffer memory on my iMac maxes out after a while since using the tablet so it obviously has hungry software.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 01/02/2020 - 10:09
Just received a Pentax HD FA 35mm f2.0 from SRS (after parting with my FA version) - I have to say that the build (although basically the same lens) is improved with a better manual focus grip and more resistance when manually focusing. Many reports say the HD (and SP) coating is a bit improvement - I haven't encountered a situation to test that yet - but will in time. The only slight disappointment is that the aperture blades weren't changed to curved ones to improve the Bokeh - at maximum aperture it makes no difference, but as you stop down the hexagons do show.

The service from SRS (I was pre-ordering the 70-210 as well) is, as always, excellent - it's so refreshing to deal with people who are efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly
LennyBloke

reso

Link Posted 01/02/2020 - 16:37
will be waiting for the post next week just bought a sigma apo dg hsm os 50-500 from our good friends at srs
k5iis sigma 10-20 3,5 hsm pentax da 16-45 f4 tamron 17-50 2.8 pentax 17-70 f4 sigma 18-125 hsm pentax sigma 50-200 hsm os
sigma 50-500 apo dg os kenko 1.5 pz af 1.5 tele tamron pz af 2.0 tele and a flash
pentax *ist film camera

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/02/2020 - 16:57
reso wrote:
will be waiting for the post next week just bought a sigma apo dg hsm os 50-500 from our good friends at srs

After you contacted me about that and my remembering how much I enjoyed using the lens I went looking for one in Nikon mount for my D500 ... arriving next week as well

Quite a bit cheaper than the one in Pentax mount but unfortunately that's just supply and demand.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/02/2020 - 16:13
LennyBloke wrote:
Just received a Pentax HD FA 35mm f2.0 from SRS (after parting with my FA version) - I have to say that the build (although basically the same lens) is improved with a better manual focus grip and more resistance when manually focusing. Many reports say the HD (and SP) coating is a bit improvement - I haven't encountered a situation to test that yet - but will in time. The only slight disappointment is that the aperture blades weren't changed to curved ones to improve the Bokeh - at maximum aperture it makes no difference, but as you stop down the hexagons do show.

The service from SRS (I was pre-ordering the 70-210 as well) is, as always, excellent - it's so refreshing to deal with people who are efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly

I'll be interested to know how you find it after a bit of use. I've only had mine for a few weeks and haven't had much time to use it yet, but it's a definite step up from the 35/2.4, though not to the standard of the 35mm Limited. I'm using it on APS-C of course, but at some point it will surely get some use on film.

I agree the unchanged aperture blades are a missed opportunity.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 02/02/2020 - 16:14
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.