#TheatresInDanger Book

LennyBloke

Link Posted 10/12/2020 - 15:04
Hope it does brilliantly Bill - look forward to receiving mine (I too would quite like a signature, if it's no trouble - but don't worry too much) - I think the signing thing is a great idea, but you should have added that option on the payment page - another pound or two would be very reasonable
LennyBloke

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 10/12/2020 - 19:15
Ah thanks John... that's very good of you... one signed copy coming right up... that's a good idea re the option on the payment page... hadn't thought of that... although not sure how much extra I'd be able to charge... somewhere between 1 and 10p I reckon! 😉

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

cbrog

Link Posted 10/12/2020 - 20:58
Copy ordered Bill - do hope it sells well. The preservation of our remaining theatres is very important.

Roger

Sry

Link Posted 10/12/2020 - 22:41
Good on you for doing your part Bill. It's a pretty steep struggle here in France too, although live performance artists and technicians are being helped financially by the automatic renewal for one year of their unemployment benefits (which are usually 'earned' through justifying a certain number of paid gigs in the previous year - but with almost a full year's performance lockdown looming up there won't be any gigs to account for by the next renewal deadline, so it's akin to kicking the problem down the road). The venues themselves are in deep trouble already (for those not living off subsidies), and our prime minister announced this evening that they will not be reopening for yet another while... I'd love to participate in your generous endeavour, but I've taken a bit of a financial toll myself, and am doing what I can to help my local scene, so...
Hoping for great success though!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/12/2020 - 23:09
Great idea. Copy ordered. A signature would be nice, please, if you've got the time and inclination.

I've passed your link to a friend who knows the local community play people. The play (the 7th since 1985) was due to open a few weeks after initial restrictions/lockdown. Lots of people, lots of mingling of audience and performers in an enclosed indoor space. No way it could happen. Can't see it happening in 2021 either. Lots of disappointment.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 00:52
I too would love a signed one please Bill. I just ordered it.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

roberrl

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 09:23
Is it too late to add an autograph item in the online shop?
This could then be ordered as well as the book - and for those of us who have already ordered we could go back and pay for an autograph

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 10:53
How about something simpler for those of us here who would like a signature - for every book that arrives with a signature, the recipient makes a donation to the Theatres Trust.

A lot simpler for Bill and you can donate whatever amount you like.

What do you think, Bill?

Steve
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 11/12/2020 - 12:16

johnriley

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 12:16
It does seem simpler in one way Steve but we're not supposed to link to anything that's taking donations. I suppose it opens the floodgates to all sorts of good causes that could be linked to, so the T&Cs exclude it.
Best regards, John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 13:37
Noted. It's a fine dividing line in this case, though...

Steve

Sry

Link Posted 11/12/2020 - 19:50
Not sure I see the necessity of putting up a link for a donation? On these forums at least I'm sure everyone would be true to their word and just go to the Trust's website to make the donation...

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 12/12/2020 - 20:28
Ah thanks Roger, Serge, Steve, David, John and Robert for all your support on this... hugely appreciated this end... very inventive ideas too...

I'm going to sign all the books, I think... certainly for now... keeps things simple my end, and the buying of the book is a huge contribution in itself, for which I'm very grateful... but gt ideas all...

Steve, very sorry to hear re your local group... as you say, I think it's going to be tricky on the performance front (music, dance, theatre, you name it) for a while... as long as there's social distancing, live performance of pretty much any kind (and watching it) will be difficult... not impossible, but difficult, and restricted for both performers and audiences alike... as you say, certainly in my line of work we're not expecting anything to change for quite a while going into 2021... there'll be exceptions (live streaming, small cast plays, the odd musical that's prepared to open and make a loss), but the maths of the theatre business remains the same: most plays need 60-70% capacity audiences to break even, and social distancing reduces that to 30-40%... something of an intractable problem...

Serge, yes, interesting to hear how it's impacting in France... very similar I think to the UK, although we traditionally tend to subsidise our individual artists less in this country (not a criticism of the UK, incidentally, just a different way of doing it)... part of the difficulty of the last year in the theatre world has been the high number of performers/freelancers/theatre workers (about 40% of the Equity membership) not covered by any of the government schemes at all (Furlough, SEISS, UC etc.)... but... I don't want to go too far down that road... I'm acutely aware that this has been a mighty tough year for everyone...

Thanks again all... am very grateful for all your support for the project... it's been a hugely positive thing to put together... here's to a hopefully more gregarious 2021!

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 14/12/2020 - 00:19
Such a great idea Bill and thank you for letting us know. My copy ordered this evening.

Mrs LTL has to shield, even though this longer being government policy, which means I haven't been able to buy her tickets to gigs and shows as Christmas pressies. I know she'll love your book.

We are fortunate to have so many great venues in our area and it remains to be seen how many survive. As soon as life can return to some degree of normality we'll be out and about once again.

In the meantime keep safe and thank you once again Bill.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 14/12/2020 - 00:38
There are all sorts of theatrical and musical offerings available as U Tube restricted viewing - you buy a ticket to get the site code. We have purchased the traditional Panto from the Belgrade theater in Coventry and a choral event by Ex Cathedra taking place at Symphony Hall, Birmingham.
A (very large) group of us purchased several multi-tickets for the Belgrade Panto so that the kids from our special schools wouldn't miss out this year. (We normally treat them to a live performance). Now they can view it on their big screens at school before they break up for the holiday. Every one of them has been provided with a decent quality 'goodie bag too - that's just over 500 happy special kids!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

johnriley

Link Posted 14/12/2020 - 15:52
Just received an e-mail confirming despatch. Many thanks Bill, looking forward to seeing the book.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.