Some new lenses

Pwynnej

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 11:31
Glad you're around Gwyn, voice of reason....

I've only ever had one question of John... His avatar misses the top part of his head...I've never met him but I always wonder what he's trying to hide.....mohican? or as a moderator a hairdo like the pointy-haired boss of the dilbert cartoon?
K20D, Z-1p, Z-1
F50 1.7,FAs 24,31,35,50 1.4,77,85,135. DA*16-50. DA*60-250. DA*300 D-FA 100
SA 12-24.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 11:52
Pwynnej wrote:

I've only ever had one question of John... His avatar misses the top part of his head...I've never met him but I always wonder what he's trying to hide.....mohican? or as a moderator a hairdo like the pointy-haired boss of the dilbert cartoon?

fatspider

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 12:29
Quote:
I've only ever had one question of John... His avatar misses the top part of his head.

I used to work with a guy who had a Star of David tattoo right in the middle of his forehead perhaps John has something similar, maybe something on the lines of "I Love Pentax"
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 04/07/2011 - 12:29

greynolds999

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 12:59
Wow, this thread has gone in a weird direction.

What John (or anyone else) buys is down to him. I don't think he did it as a put-down.

I've been to a lot of meets. Some people have a couple of hundred pounds worth of gear, others have several thousands worth. But I have never seen animosity about it.

And there will be many people reading this site who would consider it a dream come true to be able to afford a Kx!
My Photobucket

dougf8

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 14:04
If you read John's eBay account and put two and two together, I'm guessing the money for the lenses is redundancy money and a set of decent lenses might allow one to make a living from a camera. So I, for one, am not jealous nor narked about the thread. I'll be interested to see his thoughts on them.

I might have made five here.
Lurking is shirking.!

johnriley

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 15:40
The first of the reviews is here:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/review/smc-pentax-fa-31mm-f-1-8-al-limited-lens-revie...

and also on ePHOTOzine.
Best regards, John

cabstar

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 17:03
Great purchase John, that's a rare opportunity to purchase a set like that, congratulations. I do find some of the comments rather strange in response to John's opening thread, maybe a little envious in some part... John has purchased a great collection & is then willing to do reviews on them too for the site, maybe some users should be a little more appreciative to others efforts for the site...

John my next purchase is going to be either the DA*300mm or the Sigma 100-300 f4 if I can find one, so would be interested to hear your comments on the 300mm
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

giofi

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 18:31
cabstar wrote:
Great purchase John, that's a rare opportunity to purchase a set like that, congratulations. I do find some of the comments rather strange in response to John's opening thread, maybe a little envious in some part... John has purchased a great collection & is then willing to do reviews on them too for the site, maybe some users should be a little more appreciative to others efforts for the site...

Cabstar, I agree 100% with you, especially strange on a Pentax photography site

I couldn't read anything negative in the original post, on the contrary.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

rparmar

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 19:14
John, can I point out that the DA70 review is now very difficult to find? It doesn't show up in the reviews index, on the main page, under recent articles or using a search. (The website has always been poor this way.)
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 19:19
johnriley wrote:
The first of the reviews is here:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/review/smc-pentax-fa-31mm-f-1-8-al-limited-lens-revie...

and also on ePHOTOzine.

I'm curious how the value for money works...
You said as a negative the high cost but it scores high on value for money... so the cost aren't then high right for such a lens or am i missing something?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 19:22
rparmar wrote:
John, can I point out that the DA70 review is now very difficult to find? It doesn't show up in the reviews index, on the main page, under recent articles or using a search. (The website has always been poor this way.)

Just click on "reviews" on the top.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 19:24
Robin, go to the new Reviews tab at the top of the page and the two reviews are side by side.

Stefan, good question. There are different aspects to value for money. Given the quality of the lens, if we compare it with say an equivalent Leica (it is good enough to make a valid comparison) then it is superb value for money.

The caveat is that of course for many, the 1039 price tag will be totally out of reach and therefore a disadvantage is the high cost.

I don't see this as a contradiction, just an unfortunate fact of life. When I was starting out in photography as a keen 17 year-old such a lens as the 31mm would have been just a distant dream.
Best regards, John

rparmar

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 21:25
johnriley wrote:
Robin, go to the new Reviews tab at the top of the page and the two reviews are side by side.

When I click on Reviews all I get is the FA31.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Epithet Man

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 22:08
Nice review John, thanks for that. I'll be sticking with my FA35/f2.0 for now though as I've yet to be unhappy with its performance.

Looking forward to the reviews of your other new lenses.

EM

johnriley

Link Posted 04/07/2011 - 22:19
Robin, I've noticed you aren't a PU Plus member. The 70mm was definitely restricted, but the 31mm may not be, probably something to do with the ongoing fine tuning of the website.

You can definitely see the 70mm review on ePHOTOzine.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.