Software to produce a 'Contact Sheet' style picture?

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 08:48
Hi all
As you may know by now I only very recently converted to the Digital SLR era and now I am looking for some 'not too fancy' software. My main software is Corel Draw x4 SP2 as I can not get on with ADOBE for one or the other reason.
So far when I needed to make a contact sheet I used Corel Draw and placed the pictures manually on layout of the imaging program (I usually print them in A3) but I just wonder if there is a program out there that would do the job for me and gives me a perfect contact sheet with the file number under the picture? It has nothing else to do as everything else I work in Corel X4.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 10:00
Well if you could use Photoshop then you can make a contact sheet there.

If you have an image editing program you could make a contact sheet manually as well. It's not too time consuming provided you have access to things like the Transform tool.

Have you tried Google?
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 10:29
Won't the free Farstone viewer or Ifranview do it?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

ISO

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 10:44
My Epson Printer has software included to do that as an option for any given number of pics in a given file - check your printer it may have the same??

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 11:30
I tried Photoshop and cant get on with it and I have not find an option for this in Corel Photo-Paint x4 SP2 do do that. I got two Epson printers (R300 and R1800 but have not find the program that lets you do that on the Software provided.
I will have a look at Farstone and Ifranview to see if they do the trick. Manually it is been done till now but having the DX-10 now I tend to shoot more then with my 35mm I ever did and it really takes some time now to put them together.
Also, I will make the pictures for the local Royal British Legion of their procession on Remembrance Sunday and would like to hang up as quick as possible (maybe just an hour after) the contact sheets so people can order their pictures on the same day and get them a couple of days later and a program to do the sheet for me is here of great advantage.
Many thanks for all your tips and help
Kind regards
Bernhard
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Algernon

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 11:42
Just looked at Farstone Image Viewer it has a Create Contact Sheet Builder.
Just select a directory with photos in it... leave everything set at default and it produces a contact sheet with drop shadows under each photo.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

1947lcs

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 11:50
You can make a contact sheet in Picasa 3.

Les
K5, DAL18-55,SMC 50mm f2,DA 55-300, SCM F 35-70 and all the help I can get.

andrewk

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 11:56
You can easily print a contact sheet in the Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 12:04
I just have a look at Picasa 3, looks like what I was looking for. As for the tip with Photoshop, well me and ADOBE seem not to get along. I tried Photoshop a while ago and find it too complicated (probably I am with Corel since Corel 3 and be so used to it, but it obviously has NOT all the bits I need so something else is called for on top, but many thanks for your reply.
Kind regards
Bernhard
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 12:19
Photoshop Elements is much easier than full Photoshop, much cheaper, and does practically everything you will need to do with photo editing software.
Try downloading the trial version of PSE9 and see what you think, or look for a cheap earlier version - but don't go earlier than PSE 6.
Plenty of books out there to help you learn to use it too.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 12:34
I give Elements a try as I only used Photoshop, but will stick for my main editing with Corel so if PSE 6 supports to print out Contact Sheets I will have a look for that.
Can you select the size of the pictures in the contact sheet in PSE 6 and then print it out on A3?
Will the File Name displayed?
Sorry for all those questions but it is of importance to me!
Many thanks for your continuous help
Kind Regards
Bernhard
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Steve Chasey

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 13:16
Not withstanding it's an Adobe product, you'll get everything you want with Lightroom. Comes with a number of templates, including a 5 row/4 column contact sheet type option which you can switch on the option for text below each image - including file name. I use it to generate contact sheets for all my old slides I've scanned - sometimes it's easier to flick through a hard copy archive than folders on a hard drive.

As you select the printer, you can set the output size - so if you wanted an A3 sized contact sheet, no problem. Find it best to save the template with a printer option in built - lot simpler and quicker to use thereafter.

HTH

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 13:41
I will have a look at Lightroom. But like I say, ma and ADOBE are on a 'war path' as I have not figured it out even three years later but got on with Corel pretty much straight away. Don't know why. maybe its the way the layout is done from default? I just be searching and searching in ADOBE Photoshop and do not get anywhere but then again I am fine with ADOBE Premiere (NOT PREMIERE ELEMENTS BUT THE FULL BLOWN VERSION) and ADOBE After Effect. But then again it was pretty much the first video editing program I used and it may be because I am for more than 10years with Corel and make use of it ever since on a daily base it may just be that's why I can not get my head around Photoshop.
Many thanks for all your help
SmutjeUK
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

MrCynical

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 14:04
Lightroom is very good indeed - the interface is fairly straightforward (I've never used Photoshop so I can't compare the two).

However if you want to save money (and Lightroom does cost a fair bit), I'd imagine that Picasa would do contact sheets.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 14:33
I just seen that Lightroom is way way outside my reach (I am disabled and just managed after a year saving and a lot of sales on feeBay to buy my system, apart from the tripods that I got since I have the Sony PD 150). Just looking at Picassa 3.8 and it does nearly (but not all) what I am looking for I just have to place the pictures in the Folder but have to name the folder correctly as there is no choice of re-naming the folder once the contact sheet has been produced and it seems that I be not able to have the file numbers under the pictures (unless I am missing here something).
Will probably have to try the other software recommendations out (the PSE is next on my list).
Many thanks for all your support on this one
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.