Report K-1 bugs/issues here

sebas77

Link Posted 28/01/2017 - 20:21
Mike-P wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:
Did anyone try the sigma 50 150 2.8 with the latest firmware? the camera stops working once it's on. Any advice?

Which camera, which exact lens? Does it work for a time before it stops?
You say have also looked for the firmware, but I couldn't find any link so how do you know if its the latest?
A little more detail would be helpful to help you resolve this.

Well as its a K-1 bugs thread I would hazzard a guess the camera is a K-1 and he clearly states the lens is a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and the camera stops working when it's attached. The same thing was happening with certain models of the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and it was cured by a lens firmware update which can only be done by Sigma

yes all correct. The Sigma 10-20 3.5 works, but the 50-150 just crashes the camera firmware. It may be that my firmware is older than the other users lens here in the forum. Does it mean I should send the lens to Sigma (if I really want to use it on the k1)?
Last Edited by sebas77 on 28/01/2017 - 20:22

JAK

Link Posted 28/01/2017 - 20:27
Well presumed Mike! Tried the lens on older Pentax's?
If so, perhaps Mike could suggest why it would work on some bodies but not the K-1. The only issue close to that I'm aware of is a failure where the mount contacts open circuit so doesn't communicate with the main part of the lens. I've got one that's intermittently like that, but it doesn't turn the camera off. Something like this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/239946-sigm...
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 28/01/2017 - 20:36

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/01/2017 - 20:44
JAK wrote:
Well presumed Mike! Tried the lens on older Pentax's?
If so, perhaps Mike could suggest why it would work on some bodies but not the K-1. The only issue close to that I'm aware of is a failure where the mount contacts open circuit so doesn't communicate with the main part of the lens. I've got one that's intermittently like that, but it doesn't turn the camera off. Something like this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/239946-sigm...

No idea why it doesn't work on the K-1 as I'm not an electronics engineer but the very first post on this thread mentions the 70-200mm doing the same thing and so do a few more throughout.

Edit: There is mention on the other forum of the 120-400mm also doing it.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 28/01/2017 - 20:57

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/01/2017 - 20:59
sebas77 wrote:
yes all correct. The Sigma 10-20 3.5 works, but the 50-150 just crashes the camera firmware. It may be that my firmware is older than the other users lens here in the forum. Does it mean I should send the lens to Sigma (if I really want to use it on the k1)?

I would as you also need the mount changing for use on the K-1 (which will work but is prone to putting a tiny scratch on the body so Sigma are doing that for free).
. My Flickr

K10D

Link Posted 28/01/2017 - 21:25
My only issue with Pentax was sorted with the introduction of the K-1 in providing a FF digital SLR to allow full use of my Pentax FF lenses. I've seen the test's showing Pentax's accuracy with AF that Algi mentions. It goes past that. For birder's, particularly BIF, we won't get the results we want from our Pentax kit. By that, I mean quantity and quality of shots in focus.

I've used the K-1 now on several occasions at shows and am struggling to get the flash sorted properly. I've read up on different ways to approach "fettling" the settings. So what am I seeing? I'm seeing huge contrast range in the lighting of subject matter, especially if it's reflective (motorcycles with high chrome).

If a shoot with another system camera at the same settings, focal length, ISO and aperture priority, the flash results are spot on with balanced, even illumination.

I really am struggling to do that with the K-1 at the moment (also same issues with my K3 and K5-IIs, as far as flash goes). So it may be me. If it is, why do I get great results from another system using the same settings?

It does not mater at the end of the day, for me it's a minor disappointment. I'm a Pentax user that uses other kit that performs better in area's where my Pentax kit struggles. The only thing that matters is getting good results with minimal input by using suitable equipment designed specifically for the task.

As far as third party lenses and flash guns not working with Pentax bodies, there's no issue with Pentax, all of their glass and current flash guns works just fine. I do use Sigma lenses with Pentax. My other systems are all proprietary glass to ensure full compatibility and AF speed.

You would not use a narrow flat bladed screwdriver to tighten a pozi or Philips head screw, you use the right tool for the job.

sebas77

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 01:42
Mike-P wrote:
sebas77 wrote:

I would as you also need the mount changing for use on the K-1 (which will work but is prone to putting a tiny scratch on the body so Sigma are doing that for free).

mount changing? I wasn't aware of that, what is it?

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 10:07
sebas77 wrote:
mount changing? I wasn't aware of that, what is it?

LINK to Sigma page

I notice it will also need doing on the K-70 LINK

I have a 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8 and 24-70mm 2.8 to send off, I haven't bothered up to now as I don't intend buying a K-1 but if the K-70 needs it then it may be that future bodies (a K-3II successor) will also.
. My Flickr

sebas77

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 10:40
oh yeah, read that. I did several tests, I cannot see how the mount can scratch the body, I must miss something

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 10:52
I think some of the lens mounts were of different thickness so you may be lucky but you might as well get it done anyway, would be useful if you ever decided to sell it.
. My Flickr

sebas77

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 11:08
I e-mailed the customer support, let's see what they say. Thank you for the help!

RobL

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 13:36
The sigma K-mount flange is much wider than that on the camera body, try putting a Pentax rear lens cap on to see how much is left exposed. The replacement mount is chamfered around the rim to reduce this difference, and it would be interesting to see if this is now the standard fitting on all new compatible lenses.

sebas77

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 14:45
where is supposed to leave the scratch? Can you show me a photo?

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 14:53

. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 29/01/2017 - 14:54

sebas77

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 16:36
daaaamn that's micro I'll check
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.