Report K-1 bugs/issues here

davesexton

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 21:55
McGregNi wrote:
Same on the K7 with the same lens .... Perhaps its the same on every Pentax camera. Won't make any difference so don't worry .

Would love to see some shots with your Samyang with the full image circle, please

There are a number of images taken with the 14mm Samyang on my Flickr feed. One of them taken with the K-1, but most taken with a Sony A7 (which I no longer own).
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, • SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/05/2016 - 03:12
The Samyang had a weird non linear distortion thing going on from memory? It was ok on an APS-C, being concentrated in the middle, but presumably impacts more if you use right across the lens in FF.

davesexton

Link Posted 05/05/2016 - 07:30
richandfleur wrote:
The Samyang had a weird non linear distortion thing going on from memory? It was ok on an APS-C, being concentrated in the middle, but presumably impacts more if you use right across the lens in FF.

Yes, there is a fairly marked moustache distortion with this lens. Yes, it is more pronounced in FF as you see more of it. That having been said, it is possible to take some nice architectural and landscape images with this lens. There is a profile in LR, but nothing in my preferred software for RAW development (DxO Optics Pro). Many of the images in my Flickr Photostream have been taken with this lens (mainly using the Sony A7 that I just traded in to get my K-1).
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, • SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.

McBrian

Link Posted 27/07/2016 - 13:59
McBrian wrote:
The Metz 58 AF-2 does not do PTTL with the K1, it appears to work ok in all other modes including PTTLHSS.

I've had a response back from Metz, they have no specific time line for a firmware update.

Quote:
Dear Mr Lawson,

Thank you very much for your e-mail enquiry of 01 May 2016.

We regret the trouble that you have with your flash unit 58 AF-2 respectively with your new digital camera Pentax K-1.

Unfortunately, this new digital camera Pentax K-1 is not yet available for us for testing purposes.
For that reason this type of camera is also not yet mentioned on our homepage.

Since last Friday we heard also from a few other customers that there are problems with the new Pentax K-1 in P-TTL flash control mode.
So we guess that this type of camera works different to the former Pentax digital cameras (K-5, K-5 II, K-3, K-3 II, K-30, K-50 and so on) and this will lead to some trouble.
Our development department will try to get a new Pentax K-1 in order to fix the problems as soon as possible. However, we fear this will take some time.
Regrettably, at the moment we can’t supply you a fast solution for that problem.
However, we will inform you immediately by e-mail when there will be any news concerning this problem.

We regret to have no other information for you at the moment and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

UPDATE
Good news for K1 and Metz 58 AF-2 users.

I received an email from Wolfgang this morning advising Metz have issued firmware update V5.0 enabling P-TTL on the 58 AF-2 (Pentax Version).

Nice to know some 3rd party manufactures will pull out the stops to support Pentax.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Unlocker

Link Posted 28/07/2016 - 00:33
Good news for us Metz owners!

A couple of other niggles:-

Why remove dust alert?!

Why downgrade the USB 3 in the K-3 to USB 2, then re-introduce tethering but stop supplying a USB cable?!?

Continuous auto focus still useless! So much so that I must be one of the very few who have returned the 150-450 for a refund!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/07/2016 - 15:15
Unlocker wrote:

Continuous auto focus still useless! So much so that I must be one of the very few who have returned the 150-450 for a refund!

Why haven't all the others?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Unlocker

Link Posted 29/07/2016 - 15:45
McGregNi wrote:

My guess is that it's because it's a stellar lens!

Unfortunately for the kind of subject matter I like to shoot there isn't a stellar auto-focussing camera to put on the end of it!

RobL

Link Posted 29/07/2016 - 17:53
Unlocker wrote:
McGregNi wrote:

Unfortunately for the kind of subject matter I like to shoot there isn't a stellar auto-focussing camera to put on the end of it!

I don't get this, you say it is a stellar lens but have returned it?

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/07/2016 - 17:57
No, he should have returned the camera, but then he would have nothing to attach the lens to !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Unlocker

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 01:47
RobL wrote:

I don't get this, you say it is a stellar lens but have returned it?

Yes.

Unfortunately, as good as the lens is, the continuous / tracking autofocus in the current Pentax bodies just isn't consistently good enough for moving wildlife.

This has been a bone of contention for me for such a long time and the hope was that Pentax would come up with something to match the competition.

Unfortunately this isn't the case so apart from the K-1 and 4 lenses, every piece of Pentax kit I own is now being sold to fund a D500 and the best long lens I can afford.

If you know anyone that wants to swap an F* 250-600 for a Nikon 400 f2.8, let me know!

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 08:28
I own the Sigma 70-200 II hsm macro lens and on the K5ii it performed amazingly but on my K3ii it locks up the AF intermittently sending the top screen af point selector to flash through single, centre and wide points repeatedly. Only way to take a pic is to flick to MF. Flicking back to AF sometimes gets things working again or just makes the top screen AF points start cycling through again.

Looks a similar fault to yours?
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 09:05
Unlocker wrote:
McGregNi wrote:

I took mine to Skomer Island a few weekends back with the sole intention of shooting the cliche of puffins in flight with a gringo mustache of sandeels. but it absolutely refused to keep anything in focus that was coming towards me. I lucked out with 1 in 5 hours. I did manage to get some flying parallel to me but even then the camera kept focussing on the background even though that was flashing past and the puffin in the scene was the only constant. I had a go with my mate's Canon 70d with an old Bigma 50-500 and was astounded at how well it kept up, even when the birds were a speck in the VF it still nailed the focus and micro adjusted permanently. If my lens/camera achieved focus it would simply stop doing anything, almost like "there you go it's in focus now", but of course the subject has moved in that time and the lens did nothing to reattain focus, I had to repress the AF (rear) button to get it to try again and the whole woeful experience would start again. By the time it had found focus again the puffin had passed me and I might get a shot of its bum. Come on Pentax SORT IT!!!
I have also given up using it at my local kart track for the same reasons. I use the supposedly glacially slow DA*50-135 and it nails focus more times than not, not as good as the Sigma 70-200 but good enough.
The 150-450 is superb, outstanding, incredible at stationary and slow moving objects but anything moving faster than a 3 toed sloth with rickets it will struggle with.
Sad really at this price point. Sorely tempted to jump ship ... not to Canon though
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

johnriley

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 09:17
We've generally, me included, become very dependent on technology to solve our photographic woes. Before AF people managed to capture birds in flight and there are techniques that will help those who don't want to change their cameras.

I don't do a lot of BIF, enough time for that somewhere in the future, but enjoy bird portraits. The 150-450mm is superb for that purpose. When I do look at BIF I thought I would start by pre-focusing on a spot and waiting until the bird was almost in place before pressing the shutter. Manual focus would probably suffice for that. This is a technique that I would have thought was equally valid for racing cars. We know where they will be, so we focus and wait.

Is this a good place for me to start?
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 09:56
Problem with birds John is where they fly isn't as predictable as cars on a track, and in the air there is nothing to pre-focus on anyway. But I think your approach is right, it's no good expecting a point-and-shoot approach relying on camera technology to work for you all the time. The manual override on Pentax lenses is probably useful here, and for such shots I always disable the focus mode from the shutter button to avoid inadvertent focusing issues. Other makes, notably Canon, are reputedly better at tracking focus, but the techniques shown in online tutorials by Arthur Morris on bird photography can equally be applied to other makes and are worth giving a go.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/07/2016 - 10:32
Thanks for that RobL, I'll check out the tutorials.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.