Report K-1 bugs/issues here

smudge

Link Posted 30/04/2016 - 19:12
Just tested all my Sigma lenses on the K1 (18-35, 17-70, 24mm, 24-70, 50-150, 70-200, 150-500) and they all work except the 150-500 APO HSM which refuses to focus even with the contacts cleaned (and it thought it was a crop lens). Conversely it thought the 17-70 was a full frame.
Regards, Philip
Last Edited by smudge on 30/04/2016 - 19:38

smudge

Link Posted 30/04/2016 - 21:55
smudge wrote:
My other observation is that crop mode is a little smaller than it should be but I was testing using the 16-85 zoom so I may have inadvertently nudged it while changing bodies. I will try again using a prime when I get chance.

Please disregard this comment. I have now tested out the crop mode using some primes and it is correct.
Regards, Philip

cvhennessy

Link Posted 30/04/2016 - 22:12
I suspect that newer copies of the 70-200 SIgma might work ok since the newer Art lens does. Probably a newer chip in the newer lens. But I would say that its in Pentax's interests to encourage third party manufacturers of lenses, flash triggers, flashguns etc. Its the shortage of these things that limits their sales. I would also say that there is a distinctly amateurish air about their promotional stands at events in comparison to virtually all the other manufacturers, For example at the Wex lens event in London today. This extends to their promotion staff who seem to have a sketchy knowledge of their own products and an even sketchier knowledge of photography. I have also found this with my experience with their support teams with the perennial question about how the contrast control with their flashguns where they seem to have a sent a cut and paste from the instruction manual when already having been told that the answer wasn't in it.

McBrian

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 18:12
The Metz 58 AF-2 does not do PTTL with the K1, it appears to work ok in all other modes including PTTLHSS.

I've had a response back from Metz, they have no specific time line for a firmware update.

Quote:
Dear Mr Lawson,

Thank you very much for your e-mail enquiry of 01 May 2016.

We regret the trouble that you have with your flash unit 58 AF-2 respectively with your new digital camera Pentax K-1.

Unfortunately, this new digital camera Pentax K-1 is not yet available for us for testing purposes.
For that reason this type of camera is also not yet mentioned on our homepage.

Since last Friday we heard also from a few other customers that there are problems with the new Pentax K-1 in P-TTL flash control mode.
So we guess that this type of camera works different to the former Pentax digital cameras (K-5, K-5 II, K-3, K-3 II, K-30, K-50 and so on) and this will lead to some trouble.
Our development department will try to get a new Pentax K-1 in order to fix the problems as soon as possible. However, we fear this will take some time.
Regrettably, at the moment we canít supply you a fast solution for that problem.
However, we will inform you immediately by e-mail when there will be any news concerning this problem.

We regret to have no other information for you at the moment and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

K10D

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 18:47
I can see the logic behind using third party lenses if they perform better than Pentax glass or there was not an equivalent Pentax lens available but what is the reason for people to buy third party flash guns? Is it performance or power?

Best regards

McBrian

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 19:05
K10D wrote:
I can see the logic behind using third party lenses if they perform better than Pentax glass or there was not an equivalent Pentax lens available but what is the reason for people to buy third party flash guns? Is it performance or power?

Best regards

A mode, power (at the time of purchase) cheaper, A mode, secondary fill flash, did I mention A mode
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

K10D

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 19:54
Am I missing out then as my two most used flashguns are an AF200 FG and an SB400. The latter has lit people on stage from forty feet used with a 70-200mm f/2.8

I used the AF200 with the 645Z at Whitby and didn't think I was short of light.

Best regards

davesexton

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 23:02
Not really a bug, but unable to set focal length correctly when I attach my Samyang 14mm f/2.8. The closest I can enter is 15mm.
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, ē SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 23:29
Same on the K7 with the same lens .... Perhaps its the same on every Pentax camera. Won't make any difference so don't worry .

Would love to see some shots with your Samyang with the full image circle, please
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

JAK

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 23:37
McGregNi wrote:
Would love to see some shots with your Samyang with the full image circle, please

+1 please!
John K

joostdh

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 07:32
McBrian wrote:

I've had a response back from Metz, they have no specific time line for a firmware update.

That is one good respons from Metz: it was prompt, polite, clear and apologetic.
Pentax K-1| Pentax K-01 | D-FA 28-105mm | FA 28mm F2.8 | FA 35mm F2.0 | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA 50mm F1.4 | FA 50mm F2.8 Macro | FA* 85mm F1.4 | FA 100mm F2.8 Macro | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 07:56
Buying third party is always a risk with regards to compatibility with future cameras. This is in no way Pentax's fault - it happens because the third parties don't have the correct communication protocols to work with the camera. Those third parties need to fix these with firmware updates (which may require the items to be sent to them to install) but how much of a priority that will be for them, given how small a portion of the market Pentax has, is anyone's guess.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

cvhennessy

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 15:31
A small issue noticed. If the crop mode is set to Auto my Tamron 28-75 works ok and takes a full frame image. The Sigma 35mm DG 1.4 Art is identified as being an APS-C lens and the auto mode treats it like that. Its works ok if you set the crop setting to FF (Full frame) though.

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 16:42
cvhennessy wrote:
The Sigma 35mm DG 1.4 Art is identified as being an APS-C lens and the auto mode treats it like that. Its works ok if you set the crop setting to FF (Full frame) though.

I always thought the DG meant full frame compatible, DC being for a crop sensor.

I have read on the other forum that the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS works fine, as does the 85mm 1.4 so that's 2 more of my lenses I don't have to worry about when I decide to buy the K-!.
. My Flickr

DaveKitson

Link Posted 03/05/2016 - 17:17
cvhennessy wrote:
A small issue noticed. If the crop mode is set to Auto my Tamron 28-75 works ok and takes a full frame image. The Sigma 35mm DG 1.4 Art is identified as being an APS-C lens and the auto mode treats it like that. Its works ok if you set the crop setting to FF (Full frame) though.

I think that this is another side-effect of the fact that Sigma do not license the mount from Pentax:

The lens ID that Sigma use for any given lens is not issued by Pentax, and hence, not recognised by Pentax.

davek
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.