Problems getting .PEF files opened in Adobe

davidruane

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 11:48
The saga continues:

DCU 5 installed and it works with .PEF.
Looks like Paul is correct and Camera Raw won`t work with the Elements 13 and the older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop I have

I`ve downloaded Elements 2020 as the trial version and so far it looks like its working - hopefully once I get the various plugins done, I`ll be good to go. If I can get all I need from that, then I`ll be happy... Pity I didn`t find out when I was being asked about Christmas pressies

I suppose I could save the cost and just use DNG to record on the SD cards, but that would take the fun out of it

Thank you all for your help - it really is appreciated
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

Chrism8

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 12:11
Or change the save format to DNG, imho there is no difference, the file sizes are with a kb or 2 of each other so exactly the same size, use your existing Elements software and save yourself 80 or so.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is what I've been doing for years, I then convert to Tiff which is like DNG a universal format and then delete the DNG file
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

pschlute

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 12:51
davidruane wrote:

I suppose I could save the cost and just use DNG to record on the SD cards, but that would take the fun out of it

I always shoot raw, but have not used PEF format since my old *istDS. if DNG format works with your current software that would be the way to go. I always use DNG for raw capture.
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 13:23
Suggest changing to DNG saves in camera as from now and using the Adobe converter or DCU5 to archive existing photos into a usable format. I use Elements 11 for my out of camera K-1 DNGs without issue.

If you install the compatible version of ACW for your Elements 13 and use the dng format you won't need Elements 2020 (unless you prefer it of course.)

It appears the earliest version of Elements that would be compatible with the K-1ii is Elements 2019 which comes with version 10.4 of ACW and I believe you could update its ACR plugin to version 11.4 which is later than the version Elements 2020 ships with.

Really can't see how using pef gives any advantage unless you enjoy the hassle of incompatibility though if you must you've found your answer. Just note that Adobe like to sell you a new version of their software every year it seems.
John K

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 16:16
davidruane wrote:
The saga continues:

DCU 5 installed and it works with .PEF.
Looks like Paul is correct and Camera Raw won`t work with the Elements 13 and the older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop I have

I`ve downloaded Elements 2020 as the trial version and so far it looks like its working - hopefully once I get the various plugins done, I`ll be good to go. If I can get all I need from that, then I`ll be happy... Pity I didn`t find out when I was being asked about Christmas pressies

Thank you all for your help - it really is appreciated

David

No need to invest in a new version of Elements or PS. Delete the version of Camera Raw you have installed and download Version 10.5 from the Adobe website. This will work with the version of Lightroom you have.

You edit in Lightroom sharpen, adjust colour balance, etc then convert to TIFF or JPEG and if you need further editing use PS or Elements. This is exactly the process I like to use.

Paul
Paul

K1000, istD, K70
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.