Printing Advice Please

DrOrloff

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 11:25
I would like to get this printed and framed for a birthday present. It is the road outside my brother-in-law's house:

Any advice on where to get this done and what type of medium would be suitable for it would be appreciated. I haven't had anything printed yet so I am clueless.

The image is 4688 pixels wide.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 31/05/2014 - 11:25

gartmore

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 11:46
Take a look at Loxley Colour, you have to open an account to see the prices but quality and service is first rate as well as turn around speed. A wide range of finishes available.

Beautiful picture btw
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

CMW

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:05
Loxley is usually v good - I print my own, but have used them to do some 'specials' (eg aluminium prints). They are not cheap. I have also used DS Colour Labs - for a stretched canvas print - which (by the nature of canvas's surface) does not put their printing under a severe test. That said, of its sort it was excellent and very keenly priced. I had tried to do my own - made an A2 print, built a frame, and glued/stapled everything in place. It looked great for a day, but I hadn't allowed for contraction/expansion. It's given me some respect for the result DSCL achieved!

Chris
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Blythman

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:09
Depends on size. I can recommend DSCL lustre paper up to A3. But get a few printed. Postage is the biggest part of the outlay with the prints just over £1 each
Alan

PPG
Flickr

CMW

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:15
PS Recommendation of a suitable medium depends greatly upon how you think your brother-in-law will want to display the picture. If in a frame, I'd go for semi-gloss or pearl. Otherwise, what about stretched canvas?...
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Fletcher8

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:40
I personally think this image would be well suited to canvas as it would add more texture to the look of the image.

These guys are worth exploring as their prices and quality are vey fair.

http://www.professionalphotoprints.co.uk
Fletcher8.

Gravelrash

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 12:52
Not adding to the thread but I don't recall seeing this image before and it's amazing. I would love to be able to create such a thing.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

judderman62

Link Posted 31/05/2014 - 20:46
Gravelrash wrote:
Not adding to the thread but I don't recall seeing this image before and it's amazing. I would love to be able to create such a thing.

Agree 100 % with the esteemed gentleman above ^^^

Stunning shot and amazing use of light
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

gartmore

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 19:00
I completely forgot to say that you should consider a Giclee fine art print. Loxley do about eight different heavyweight papers with different finishes. For £3 or £4 they will send you a sample book.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

tigershoot

Link Posted 09/06/2014 - 21:10
Looks like the beautiful sunken lanes around Surrey where I used to live. Lovely image.
K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash

aliengrove

Link Posted 13/06/2014 - 00:42
DS Colour Labs are very cheap and I have had some great prints from them. If you don't want to mess about with profiles they will print straight from an sRGB profile, though I have had colour casts/slightly wrong colour on a couple of images printed this way, especially sepia or toned images, so it would be best use their own profiles which you can download here. link
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 13/06/2014 - 00:43

mille19

Link Posted 13/06/2014 - 08:02
I always use DS Colour Labs, top quality prints at amazing prices.

davidtrout

Link Posted 13/06/2014 - 09:30
I have also used DS Colour Labs. they are very efficient and the print quality is excellent.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Unlocker

Link Posted 13/06/2014 - 11:13
We've used DS a lot in the past and just can't argue with 16x12" prints at £1.10 each.

Currently I'm printing test prints on all the Hahnemuhle A4 test packs and I'm beginning to appreciate the difference between the cheaper DS prints and the more expensive Fine Art prints!

As for framing, excuse the poor pic, how about a dark brown and gold double mount with a brown and gold moulding?

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

gartmore

Link Posted 13/06/2014 - 11:22
Just wait till you see fine art paper printed with. 27 head Giclee printer. Pigment inks guaranteed for 25 years. About £12 for a 12x12
Ken
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.