Photographer Noob
Posted 23/05/2009 - 23:18
Link
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum....you have come to the right place for advise....since I am writing to you from canada...I will have to leave it to the UK..ers to help you decided if the price is right!
Posted 24/05/2009 - 00:30
Link
Welcome to the forum Andy.
SRS is the place to be and the set looks fine for that price.
Only for portrait i'm not so certain about the lenses.
Most find 50mm to 100mm an ideal portrait range, so you might be switching lenses all the time. For everything else it's a good starting point but the lack of a fast aperture might be a problem with indoor sport though.
SRS is the place to be and the set looks fine for that price.
Only for portrait i'm not so certain about the lenses.
Most find 50mm to 100mm an ideal portrait range, so you might be switching lenses all the time. For everything else it's a good starting point but the lack of a fast aperture might be a problem with indoor sport though.
Posted 24/05/2009 - 00:36
Link
Hi and welcome to the forum
srs are awesome' it seems like a good deal but just make sure they are the lenses you really want.
Give srs a bell and have a chat with em there might be even better deals to be had
Also mind you don't forget your free delivery for forum members
srs are awesome' it seems like a good deal but just make sure they are the lenses you really want.
Give srs a bell and have a chat with em there might be even better deals to be had
Also mind you don't forget your free delivery for forum members
Posted 24/05/2009 - 07:53
Link
Do I get free delivery for being on here? Awesome bonus
LOL
Can you guys surgest any beter lenses? I dont mind getting them seperatly but am rather limited on budget. £700 pretty much top end.
I noticed they also have this set which has the 18-55mm and a 50-200mm Do you think these would be more suited to my needs?
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/11/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-1...
If not they have a body and 18-55 kit lens here
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/9/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-18...
If theres anouther cheapish lens i could buy seperatly (or see if srs have it)
Thank you guys for takeing the time to read my jumble
LOL
Can you guys surgest any beter lenses? I dont mind getting them seperatly but am rather limited on budget. £700 pretty much top end.
I noticed they also have this set which has the 18-55mm and a 50-200mm Do you think these would be more suited to my needs?
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/11/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-1...
If not they have a body and 18-55 kit lens here
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/9/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-18...
If theres anouther cheapish lens i could buy seperatly (or see if srs have it)
Thank you guys for takeing the time to read my jumble
Lil Andy
K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5
www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk
K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5
www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk
Posted 24/05/2009 - 08:14
Link
Ya get free delivery for being part of this forum but you have to do your order by phone and quote your username.
I think i would buy it with 18-55mm then at a later date you could get the telephoto lens you want maybe the pentax DA55-300mm or sigma 70-300mm.But if you want the tamron lens that's the deal for you.Another scenario could be buy a body only and a second hand pentax DA16-45mm for about £160ish then worry about the telephoto side of things at a later date.
I've probably confused the hell out of ya now Andy sorry
I think i would buy it with 18-55mm then at a later date you could get the telephoto lens you want maybe the pentax DA55-300mm or sigma 70-300mm.But if you want the tamron lens that's the deal for you.Another scenario could be buy a body only and a second hand pentax DA16-45mm for about £160ish then worry about the telephoto side of things at a later date.
I've probably confused the hell out of ya now Andy sorry
Posted 24/05/2009 - 08:51
Link
Hi Andy,
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:03
Link
PentaxBabe wrote:
Hi Andy,
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Cheaper than SRS I know £20 is £20 but are these guys Pentax Pro Dealers? SRS are and will give a two year warranty on Pentax gear, well worth the extra £20Hi Andy,
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Welcome to the forum Andy
Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:08
Link
impotentspider wrote:
Welcome to the forum Andy
Not sure if they are Pentax Pro Dealers. But you do get a 1 year warranty. Like I said, they may be worth a look. I agree SRS are good.
PentaxBabe wrote:
Hi Andy,
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Cheaper than SRS I know £20 is £20 but are these guys Pentax Pro Dealers? SRS are and will give a two year warranty on Pentax gear, well worth the extra £20Hi Andy,
Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.
I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is £499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about £20 cheaper. But its £20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.
Jeanette
Welcome to the forum Andy
Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:53
Link
The customer friendliness and understanding of srs is worth way more than £20 where cameras and lenses are concerned i don't shop anywhere else
Posted 24/05/2009 - 10:56
Link
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion
Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:22
Link
Greytop wrote:
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion
OK you have worried me now. I have emailed Simply Electronics and cancelled my order.
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion
Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:42
Link
Hello Andy welcome to the forum.
You can order online from SRS and get free postage if your based in the UK, just put your forum details in the comments box and ask for free postage.
You can order online from SRS and get free postage if your based in the UK, just put your forum details in the comments box and ask for free postage.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.
My Flickr link
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.
My Flickr link
Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:42
Link
Greytop wrote:
Sorry Jeanette!
I was tempted to order from them once myself (a HD camcorder) but other's experiences put me off. If you look at their T&Cs (link at the bottom of their web page) you will see who they are
Well at least I have cancelled before they sent it. I will ring up tomorrow if they are open and check that when they will cancel the charge on my card and then order from Chris at SRS.
Sorry Jeanette!
I was tempted to order from them once myself (a HD camcorder) but other's experiences put me off. If you look at their T&Cs (link at the bottom of their web page) you will see who they are
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



319 posts
17 years
Telford
Ime a newbie and ime looking to get some good advice from you great people
Ime looking to get my first digital SLR and been somewhat overwhelemed by all the technicalities!
I have been doing many hours of research and finally decided I quite like the idea of getting a K20D I have read good reviews for them and it seems to have lots of room for me to expand and grow.
Ime still somewhat unsure on what lenses I should get for general purpose but I will mainly be takeing portraits, landscapes and sports (martial arts specifically)
I have found the following deal and was wondering wether this would be a good choice of kit and price.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/94/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-1...
Thanks in advance for any input and I look forward to seeing your input.
Andy
K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5
www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk