Photographer Noob

titchgamer

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 19:50
Hello Everyone!

Ime a newbie and ime looking to get some good advice from you great people

Ime looking to get my first digital SLR and been somewhat overwhelemed by all the technicalities!

I have been doing many hours of research and finally decided I quite like the idea of getting a K20D I have read good reviews for them and it seems to have lots of room for me to expand and grow.

Ime still somewhat unsure on what lenses I should get for general purpose but I will mainly be takeing portraits, landscapes and sports (martial arts specifically)

I have found the following deal and was wondering wether this would be a good choice of kit and price.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/94/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-1...

Thanks in advance for any input and I look forward to seeing your input.

Andy
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

JudithAnn

Link Posted 23/05/2009 - 23:18
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum....you have come to the right place for advise....since I am writing to you from canada...I will have to leave it to the UK..ers to help you decided if the price is right!
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 00:30
Welcome to the forum Andy.

SRS is the place to be and the set looks fine for that price.
Only for portrait i'm not so certain about the lenses.
Most find 50mm to 100mm an ideal portrait range, so you might be switching lenses all the time. For everything else it's a good starting point but the lack of a fast aperture might be a problem with indoor sport though.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

sanderscapes

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 00:36
Hi and welcome to the forum

srs are awesome' it seems like a good deal but just make sure they are the lenses you really want.

Give srs a bell and have a chat with em there might be even better deals to be had

Also mind you don't forget your free delivery for forum members

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 07:53
Do I get free delivery for being on here? Awesome bonus

LOL

Can you guys surgest any beter lenses? I dont mind getting them seperatly but am rather limited on budget. 700 pretty much top end.

I noticed they also have this set which has the 18-55mm and a 50-200mm Do you think these would be more suited to my needs?

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/11/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-1...

If not they have a body and 18-55 kit lens here

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/9/Pentax-K20D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Pentax-18...

If theres anouther cheapish lens i could buy seperatly (or see if srs have it)

Thank you guys for takeing the time to read my jumble
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk
Last Edited by titchgamer on 24/05/2009 - 07:53

sanderscapes

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 08:14
Ya get free delivery for being part of this forum but you have to do your order by phone and quote your username.

I think i would buy it with 18-55mm then at a later date you could get the telephoto lens you want maybe the pentax DA55-300mm or sigma 70-300mm.But if you want the tamron lens that's the deal for you.Another scenario could be buy a body only and a second hand pentax DA16-45mm for about 160ish then worry about the telephoto side of things at a later date.

I've probably confused the hell out of ya now Andy sorry

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 08:51
Hi Andy,

Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.

I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is 499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about 20 cheaper. But its 20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.

Jeanette

fatspider

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:03
PentaxBabe wrote:
Hi Andy,

Welcome. You are right about getting good advise from this forum. I have had loads. They are also a really fun group of people so expect loads of laughs.

I agree with everything said about SRS. However, I have been looking to upgrade my K200D and K100D and have been doing some searching. The cheapest price I have found is 499.95 for a K20D Body only from a company called Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/index.php which includes free delivery. I think it is only about 20 cheaper. But its 20 you could put towards the lens. You can order on line or by phone. I have ordered mine from them, but will still be looking at SRS for lens etc. They are worth a look.

Jeanette

Cheaper than SRS I know 20 is 20 but are these guys Pentax Pro Dealers? SRS are and will give a two year warranty on Pentax gear, well worth the extra 20

Welcome to the forum Andy
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:08
impotentspider wrote:
PentaxBabe wrote:
Hi Andy,

Jeanette

Cheaper than SRS I know 20 is 20 but are these guys Pentax Pro Dealers? SRS are and will give a two year warranty on Pentax gear, well worth the extra 20

Welcome to the forum Andy

Not sure if they are Pentax Pro Dealers. But you do get a 1 year warranty. Like I said, they may be worth a look. I agree SRS are good.

sanderscapes

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 09:53
The customer friendliness and understanding of srs is worth way more than 20 where cameras and lenses are concerned i don't shop anywhere else

Greytop

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 10:56
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion
Regards Huw

flickr

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:22
Greytop wrote:
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum
My advice would be without doubt to go the SRS route. Simply Electronics are a seller from Hong Kong (nothing wrong in that necessarily) and import grey products into the UK. I have heard many not so glowing reports about them in a number of forums. TBH I would definitely steer clear, just my opinion

OK you have worried me now. I have emailed Simply Electronics and cancelled my order.

Greytop

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:38
Sorry Jeanette!
I was tempted to order from them once myself (a HD camcorder) but other's experiences put me off. If you look at their T&Cs (link at the bottom of their web page) you will see who they are
Regards Huw

flickr

mr.mellow

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:42
Hello Andy welcome to the forum.
You can order online from SRS and get free postage if your based in the UK, just put your forum details in the comments box and ask for free postage.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.

My Flickr link

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 11:42
Greytop wrote:
Sorry Jeanette!
I was tempted to order from them once myself (a HD camcorder) but other's experiences put me off. If you look at their T&Cs (link at the bottom of their web page) you will see who they are

Well at least I have cancelled before they sent it. I will ring up tomorrow if they are open and check that when they will cancel the charge on my card and then order from Chris at SRS.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.