Photographer Noob

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 14:51
Again thank you all for your wonderfull advice

Sanderscapes - The Sigma 70-300mm comes as a standard or apo (whatever that means) looking at the specs ime guessing the non APO lens would do me OK?

Pentax babe - Love ya dog hun, i have 1 looks very similar but is sable blonde (called shaddow) Ile upload some pics of all my girls later haha.
I had heard good things about SRS all over the web from doing previous research. Ive never been a fan of buying expensive stuff from hong kong etc on the basis that its normally cheaper but costs you a small fortune to get it through customs as well as hard to return (and costly) if something goes wrong.
As well as that our econamy needs the cash atm lol.

Also thanks to greytop, spider and mr mellow on ure input

Ime thinking to maby this set up which goes just over my 700 budget (well we can never stick to them can we? lol)

Pentax K20D Digital SLR Camera with Pentax 18-55mm II Lens

Tamrac Adventure Zoom 4 Camera Bag

SanDisk 2GB Extreme III SD Memory Card

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Lens - Pentax Fit

Total: 719.98

seems reasonable to me?
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 15:01
LOL well i didnt realise you could only upload 1 pic a day. So ive uploaded 1 of shania and my profile pic is Kim lol.
Lil Andy

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 15:11
The tamron is the better lens for that money to be honest, it's quite a bit sharper certainly around the borders but you get purple fingering (purple border on high contrast edge).

It really depend on how long of a lens you need, the only reason you need a long lens is for the sport but since that is inside you might want f/2.8 and not f/5.6 or else you might be shooting at iso1600 or iso3200 just to get the shutterspeed down and that means grainy photos.
So how far are you away from the sporters?

If you are close to the fight maybe the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 would be a much better choice then a larger zoom. Although it's quite alot more then the 70-300 so you will be over budget but better buy it right the first time right. Maybe getting the K20D with the kit for now would be the best option and save a bit to get the lens that you would need to do indoor sport. I really doubt that the budget zooms would do you any good their. Outside with a bit of sun they would do you good but not indoors.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 15:29
Hmm Thanks Stefan. Sometimes you are very close to ring side other times can be 10 meters away. (depends how far I can squeeze in haha)

Could you explain to me what the difference is between f/2.8 and 5.6?

cheers.
Lil Andy

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 15:51
Ah ive just looked up the "lens speed" thing (see, ime learning lol)

Understand what you mean now stefan. Think I might do like you say, buy the kit and save up for anouther lens to do the judo etc specificly.

The 70-300 would be good for outside nature shots correct? (i.e. my run away pooch shania who wont come any where close to a camera! lol)
Lil Andy

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 16:26
Yes the 70-300 will do very good outside certainly when you've a bit of sun. You can shoot bird with it, the kids playing soccer and things like that. It's a good lens and the DA55-300 is the best of the "budget" zoom lenses the Sigma is very close to that price so not really a option IMHO.
the Tamron is a lot cheaper and just as sharp as the Pentax one but you have the purple fringing problem.
That's an example of that.

It's quite easy to fix but you need to do that with almost every foto so if you want good photos straight out of the camera it wouldn't be the lens for you probable.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 24/05/2009 - 16:27

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 16:33
Andy about the sport lens.
The Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 might not be trully it, I think you're still to short if they are figthing on the other side of the ring so maybe the DA*50-135 f/2.8 or Tamron/Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 would be more useful.
They are a bit more expensive though those lenses but they are very fine to have.
I've the DA*50-135 and it's my most used lens now, it a great range when doing portrait.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 17:00
titchgamer wrote:
Again thank you all for your wonderfull advice

Sanderscapes - The Sigma 70-300mm comes as a standard or apo (whatever that means) looking at the specs ime guessing the non APO lens would do me OK?

Pentax babe - Love ya dog hun, i have 1 looks very similar but is sable blonde (called shaddow) Ile upload some pics of all my girls later haha.
I had heard good things about SRS all over the web from doing previous research. Ive never been a fan of buying expensive stuff from hong kong etc on the basis that its normally cheaper but costs you a small fortune to get it through customs as well as hard to return (and costly) if something goes wrong.
As well as that our econamy needs the cash atm lol.

Also thanks to greytop, spider and mr mellow on ure input

Ime thinking to maby this set up which goes just over my 700 budget (well we can never stick to them can we? lol)

Pentax K20D Digital SLR Camera with Pentax 18-55mm II Lens

Tamrac Adventure Zoom 4 Camera Bag

SanDisk 2GB Extreme III SD Memory Card

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Lens - Pentax Fit

Total: 719.98

seems reasonable to me?

Andy,

Thanks for your complement on Beta (my last GSD). Unfortunately she died in April 2008 (she had a tumour on her spleen and got ill very suddenly). I am only just beginning to use her photo and talk about her so I am pleased you liked her photo. She was a special girl and dearly missed.

Your picture of Shaddow and mine of Beta just go to show what soppy dogs GSDs are.

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 18:44
Thanks for that stefan, and the example is very helpfull! I can see what you mean now. I think ime just going to add up the costs and juggle it about.
I can allways buy decent lenses once ive figured out what ime good at and what ime going to shoot (apart from that dam fox's rofl)

Pentax Babe, Yes they are certainly soppy and loving when they want to be (usualy around tea time ive allways noticed haha)
Ime sorry to hear about Beta but atleast she has left you with some nice photos and memories which can never be taken.

My dopey dog is actually shania (We currently have 4 of em)
She is very dopey and extremely un-photogenic (she sees a camera n legs it normally)
My profile pic is Kim, Ile upload one of shaddow tomorow when it lets me.

Also I have a few of zarra and jade who unfortunatly also died last year.

I will look forward to seeing more of ure dogs and other snaps when you upload em

I just want to say thanks to everyone for there advice, ime going to have a long think over night and order my new playtoy tomorow

Ile no doubt be floating around looking for inspiration and pestering you all for more advice once i get it haha.

Hope you all enjoy ya bank hol!
Lil Andy

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 20:17
Right I have one more question for you amazing guru's...

Which lens should I go for? The pentax 55-200 or the tamron 70-300 ?

Which is the higher quality lens and what would I be missing out on within the 200-300 range?

I can see that the pentax is beter from a portrait point of view and ime likely to atempt quite a few portraits but I was wondering if the 200-300 range would benefit more outdoors takeing wildlife etc?
Lil Andy

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 21:35
Hi again Andy,

I use a Sigma 135-400mm and a Pentax 75-300mm but don't take any portraits yet just wildlife. The Bee was taken with the Pentax and most of the others on the gallery will be the Sigma. Up until now I have only taken shots of wildlife while on safari andas such find I use the Sigma 95% of the time. However, with Amin's encouragement and in an attempt to make better use of my camera I am trying to branch out into shots of things a little closer to me! I feel that neither of my Pentax lens are good for this and am getting a Sigma 100mm Macro lens tomorrow so hopefully you will see some of the results from that. Like I said I am far from being anywhere near anything other than a beginner and so not really the best person to advise you. But maybe this has helped a little.

Oh I mean't to say that I find the Sigma very heavy and struggle to use it unsupported.

J
Last Edited by PentaxBabe on 24/05/2009 - 21:36

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 21:40
That was a lovely pic of the bee, ime just trying to edit it myself (thought it would be good practice haha)

Ime allways apreciative of any input beginer or not, after all u got more experience than me :-p

By the way, this is shaddow

link

(not sure itl work ule have to let me know :-p )
Lil Andy

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 21:47
titchgamer wrote:
That was a lovely pic of the bee, ime just trying to edit it myself (thought it would be good practice haha)

Ime allways apreciative of any input beginer or not, after all u got more experience than me :-p

By the way, this is shaddow

link

(not sure itl work ule have to let me know :-p )

Hi Andy,

the link you put means you have to logon to Facebook. Once in I have no idea of your Facebook name. Sorry

titchgamer

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 21:55
lol ok nm, ile upload it to here tomorow night.
Ide upload my atempt at editing ure pic to ure thread but i dnt know how :-s (not that its anywhere near as gd as the others but dnt think its bad for a first atempt LOL)
Lil Andy

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 21:59
Andy,

Have a look at the posting under the Your Photos part of the forum. It tells you how to upload your pictures held on another website. I ahve only used Flickr to date, it only took me 3 attempts!
Look forwards to seeing your pictures tomorrow
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.