Photographer Noob

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2009 - 22:20
Jeanette, also take a look at the Tamron 90mm macro.
It's also a very good lens and comparable with the sigma 105mm but because it's 90mm just a tiny bit cheaper so it simply gives you another options to try out for macro there wouldn't be much diffrence but you might like the handling of one better maybe.

I'm sorry Andy but no adivce for you, I don't have any lenses for wild life. My longest lens I ever had was the 18-250 but hardly use it to shoot animals. I did capture some birds with those and it was just good enough so to say so 200mm might be just too short.
But then again I also have photos taken with the 100mm from a wild bird so???

I would like to see some more photos from you two, the one from Jeanette was very good.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 05:03
Anvh wrote:
Jeanette, also take a look at the Tamron 90mm macro.
It's also a very good lens and comparable with the sigma 105mm but because it's 90mm just a tiny bit cheaper so it simply gives you another options to try out for macro there wouldn't be much diffrence but you might like the handling of one better maybe.

I'm sorry Andy but no adivce for you, I don't have any lenses for wild life. My longest lens I ever had was the 18-250 but hardly use it to shoot animals. I did capture some birds with those and it was just good enough so to say so 200mm might be just too short.
But then again I also have photos taken with the 100mm from a wild bird so???

I would like to see some more photos from you two, the one from Jeanette was very good.

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your lovely compliment, whenever I get these from such experienced members I truely appreciate it and it encourages me to try harder. Which in turn increases my enjoyent (and frustration sometimes) of photography and my Pentax
Re the Sigma 105mm, luckily for me I am getting an extremely good deal on the lens from another PU member
That is partly why I am up so early! Excitement about the new lens. Trepidation about starting my new job on Tuesday and the dawn chorus! Hopefully better pictures with the new lens later!

Thanks again

J

max11

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 10:36
titchgamer wrote:
Right I have one more question for you amazing guru's...

Which lens should I go for? The pentax 55-200 or the tamron 70-300 ?

If you can't get the Pentax 55-300, take the Tamron!

That comes from experts' advice (not me)!
I own the first one and I'm very happy with it

shim

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 13:25
PentaxBabe wrote:

Well at least I have cancelled before they sent it. I will ring up tomorrow if they are open and check that when they will cancel the charge on my card and then order from Chris at SRS.

Most of these internet sellers such as play.com have a clause in their conditions saying that there isn't a contract to supply until the moment they dispatch the item. So you should have no problem getting your money back.

shim
Last Edited by shim on 25/05/2009 - 13:31

titchgamer

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 17:20
Well after all your wonderfull advice and some carefull pondering I have ordered my new play toy from SRS.

I decided to go with the Pentax K20D Body + 18-55 II, Tamron 70-300mm, Case & 4gb - 669.00

I felt this would be the best package for what I want to do and to get me rolling, I can save up for some higher quality prime lenses or telephoto lenses when budget permits.

So when it arives and ive snapped a few shots ile upload some so you guys can boot me in the right direction (from a technical pov of course )

Thanks Again!
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

Mannesty

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 17:32
Well done, great package, excellent price.

One of the first things you'll probably have to do, after charging the battery, is upgrade the firmware to the latest release.

You can download it from here.

It's likely that your new camera will have the original firmware, version 1.00. To check which version it has, press and hold the Menu button while turning the power switch to on.

Enjoy your new acquisition.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

titchgamer

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 17:37
Thanks Mannestry thats very helpfull

Come to you for tech support then? hehe (dropped yaself in it now
Lil Andy

Mannesty

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 18:01
No worries, if I can't help you there are plenty of experienced people here who can.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

titchgamer

Link Posted 25/05/2009 - 18:08
Yeah, this really seems a great community
Lil Andy

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 19:26
Thought Ide let you all know My new K20D and lenses have just arived.
(Luckily.....)
Parcelforce in there infinite wisdom dropped it off next door and they didnt bother leaveing me a note to say it! Luckily they got the good neighbour else it prob would of ended up in a skip or sumat

Ime now a proud Pentax User

Ile take it out on the weekend and hopefully have some nice new pics to upload sunday night when I get home
Lil Andy

Anvh

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 20:00
A Pentaxian is the word I believe
The word sounds like an extinct species or something.
Have a lot of fun with them and btw DA* are differend lenses then DA.
The star* means it's a lens from the Pro-serie
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 20:02
Oh ok thanks Stefan

What Can I say? Ime a noob haha.

Yes I shall certainly have fun. Just waiting for the battery to charge....

Seems to be takeing a vvverrryyyy long time...

Tick tock, Tick tock... LOL
Lil Andy

Anvh

Link Posted 27/05/2009 - 20:05
Waiting is the worst part of it and then you see that you have the earliest frimware so you need to update first aswell *sighs*

Here is the newest firmware in case you need it link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 28/05/2009 - 19:16
titchgamer wrote:
Well after all your wonderfull advice and some carefull pondering I have ordered my new play toy from SRS.

I decided to go with the Pentax K20D Body + 18-55 II, Tamron 70-300mm, Case & 4gb - 669.00

I felt this would be the best package for what I want to do and to get me rolling, I can save up for some higher quality prime lenses or telephoto lenses when budget permits.

So when it arives and ive snapped a few shots ile upload some so you guys can boot me in the right direction (from a technical pov of course )

Thanks Again!

Hi Andy,

How are you getting on with the K20D?

Mine has just arrived. Haven't started doing anything yet expect downloading the firmware. I am going to a Nature Reserve on Saturday to practise with the Sigma 100mm macro. Not sure whether to take the 20D too or whether that would be too much learning in one go. It is a bit different from the 200D.

Good Luck

J

titchgamer

Link Posted 31/05/2009 - 12:55
Ah thats very cool J hope you had a good day at the reserve yesterday? Did you take the k20d?

Ime loving mine!! Just playing about with different things atm landscapes, macro, dogs (of course!) unfortunatly no portraits yet as I have no model lol.

Ive found it quite quick to get to grips with and comfortable in my hand.
Only thing ive noticed is alot of the pics seem dark but with a quick 20 sec touch upin photoshop dont look to bad. (in my humble opinion!)

TTYS!
Lil Andy

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.