Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax Ricoh future

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/05/2012 - 12:16 Link
I could understand pulling the shots where the camera is on the sand or has sand on it. Sand would get into the moving parts of the zoom and focus ring. It may not get inside the camera but it could jam things up and make the zoom feel gritty.

The other 'general' shots were fine though.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Don
Posted 24/05/2012 - 12:29 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
I could understand pulling the shots where the camera is on the sand or has sand on it. Sand would get into the moving parts of the zoom and focus ring. It may not get inside the camera but it could jam things up and make the zoom feel gritty.

The other 'general' shots were fine though.

more likely to get into the shutter release button and jam it..
but..
why not pull all ads of cars that have windsheilds? esp suv's which might get driven off road or on gravel.....you know just driving around, a stone could chip or crack the windsheild and since it is illegal to drive with a crack in drivers feild of view, the car obviously isn't fit to drive and shouldn't be sold until they have a chip proof windsheild to protect the windsheild....

Is society as a whole really getting so dumb that we need to have such debates?
if so, shouldn't we be more worried about letting these people drive than selling them cameras?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Haworth
Posted 24/05/2012 - 13:10 Link
Possibly could be deemed as mis-representative / misleading images - "Your ad showed it in the sand, so I thought it would be OK, mine got sand in it and now it doesn't work" etc. Dunno.

But even then, why pull all of them? I must say I quite liked them as images.
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr
Edited by Haworth: 24/05/2012 - 13:13
Mike-P
Posted 24/05/2012 - 14:15 Link
K10D wrote:

I have had my K7 drenched in sea water with no ill effect and been out in a rain storm with the D700 with no ill effect. [/link]
I do think that Pentax need to push other features rather than advertise splash proof/weatherproof as the main attraction.

Not really a fair comparison though is it .. a camera still selling at £1600 or the K30 which is a brand new model at £600.

For this section of the camera market I think they should be pushing the splashproof/weatherproof bodies because when it comes right down to it Pentax are really no different to Canikon and in some areas still actually lag behind.
Edited by Mike-P: 24/05/2012 - 14:16
vic cross
Posted 24/05/2012 - 14:51 Link
What is. Focus peeking? Have I missed something?
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Don
Posted 24/05/2012 - 16:22 Link
vic cross wrote:
CHEERS Vic.

uses visual aid on live veiw to assist with manual focus.....
here is a vid clip showing sony's version along with a brief write up in the video info box...
link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/05/2012 - 18:11 Link
Don wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Pentaxophile"]more likely to get into the shutter release button and jam it..

I suppose if you put the camera in the sand upside down, yes... but that really would be dumb!
dcweather
Posted 24/05/2012 - 19:11 Link
Don wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Pentaxophile"]
Is society as a whole really getting so dumb that we need to have such debates?
if so, shouldn't we be more worried about letting these people drive than selling them cameras?

Yes and Yes!
vic cross
Posted 24/05/2012 - 20:30 Link
Thanks Don. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
helios
Posted 24/05/2012 - 21:08 Link
Don wrote:
vic cross wrote:
CHEERS Vic.

uses visual aid on live veiw to assist with manual focus.....
here is a vid clip showing sony's version along with a brief write up in the video info box...
link

I wonder if there is some cross fertilisation of technologies between Ricoh and Pentax going on. The K30 seems to be the first Pentax with focus peaking. The Ricoh GXR has had a rather nice implementation of peaking for the past three years.
Archie
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/05/2012 - 21:27 Link
The k-01 was the first Archie, the tech from that has been taken into the k30. But your point probably still stands.
helios
Posted 24/05/2012 - 21:52 Link
Thanks Will. I have not handled a K-01 as yet so I did not realise that it had focus peaking.

Ricoh GXR users are hoping that some Pentax technology will find its way to the Ricoh side in the form of an interchangeable camera unit that will allow Pentax lenses to be fully usable on the GXR.
Archie
jemx99
Posted 24/05/2012 - 22:14 Link
I wonder how the K30 affect sales of the K-01? I know they are different beasts but I would imagine most of us who maybe at one time thought about upgrading our older Pentax dslr (K100D's etc) to a K-01 would now prefer the view finder equipped K30.
vic cross
Posted 25/05/2012 - 09:07 Link
About focus "PEAKING" I spelt it wrong but I think my way is better as to use it you are "PEEKING"
CHEERS Vic.
Smeggypants
Posted 25/05/2012 - 13:22 Link
Some excellent discussion and info on Focus Peaking here

I'd never heard of the feature before the K-30, but it does look very useful indeed. Focussing at f/1.2 is a right PITA. The viewfinder isn't accurate enough and you have to magnify LV to see the mm DOF
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.