Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax Ricoh future

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Blythman
Posted 22/05/2012 - 17:09 Link
Would miss ISO button and the flash/remote input jack.

Other than that......... !!
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Mike-P
Posted 22/05/2012 - 17:12 Link
Yup, I would miss the ISO button but I mainly use TAv mode these days because the sensor is that good I'm happy for it to be set on auto (unlike my Canon). Personally I don't use the flash/remote jack.

Wondering if you can prog the green button for different uses .. could always put the ISO on that.

If I'm honest it's the focus peeking that's really got me interested.
Edited by Mike-P: 22/05/2012 - 17:14
JAK
Posted 22/05/2012 - 17:16 Link
Pentaxonian wrote:
Are you excited by the K3 announcement?

Do you have a link to this announcement please? I'm aware of the one for the K-30 but not seen one for the K-3 yet.

Cheers,

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 22/05/2012 - 17:16
Shaky
Posted 22/05/2012 - 17:25 Link
johnriley wrote:
Weather Resistance is a major plus for us.

I’m not saying get rid of weathersealing. Just don’t spend the very limited advertising budget featuring it prominently.

People who actually require weathersealing more than likely have the wherewithal to independently identify cameras that meet their needs.
Algernon
Posted 22/05/2012 - 17:43 Link
Mike-P wrote:
If I'm honest it's the focus peeking that's really got me interested.

I would love to try out the focus peaking as well. Accurate manual focus on the K-5 at around 1M is impossible
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Oso
Posted 22/05/2012 - 18:05 Link
Just like the dress fashion, the general crowd loves to ape what the stars are wearing so it is with the man in the street who is influenced by the equipment used by top professionals.

Fortunately or unfortunately the professional equipment is beyond the reach of a normal working person. Sure there will be followers of the top brands, like Leica, etc., but the percentage is very negligible. Common sense will dictate that these other companies manufacture equipment to suite the pockets of the man in the street, not forgetting that they comply with standards and are of high quality otherwise they will be history. Better to sell in the millions rather than a few thousands.

Pentax has been one of the early pioneers of SLR and has been in the forefront of new technologies so they can stand tall among all the manufacturers.

My collection of 35mm mechanical cameras is made up of Pentaxes, Canons, Nikons, Minoltas, etc, and they are all in use by rotation. I enjoy photographing my children and now my grand children, voyages, walk about, etc. To be frank, I cannot tell the difference of quality of the photos taken between the different cameras, you see, I am not a professional, still I have been taking photos for the last 50 years when I started my family, photography to me is an enjoyable hobby.

I have not come round to a digital SLR yet but I always carry a Pentax RZ10 and a Nikon 35Ti(35mm) in my pocket wherever I go.

Oso
sterretje
Posted 22/05/2012 - 18:24 Link
JAK wrote:
Do you have a link to this announcement please? I'm aware of the one for the K-30 but not seen one for the K-3 yet.

Yep, wonder what I have missed. And no, a K30 does not need 24mp sensor.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Pentaxophile
Posted 22/05/2012 - 20:28 Link
Shaky wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Weather Resistance is a major plus for us.

I’m not saying get rid of weathersealing. Just don’t spend the very limited advertising budget featuring it prominently.

People who actually require weathersealing more than likely have the wherewithal to independently identify cameras that meet their needs.

Agree Pentax mustn't make this camera look like a one trick pony wrt weathersealing. But I think back to my friend's reaction to the fact that my K200D had weathersealing... he is not the type to do masses of research on which camera to buy (typical casual DSLR buyer), so had just walked into London Camera Exchange and gone with a Nikon D40 because he knew the Nikon brand and that was the only Nikon he could afford. When he looked at my K200D he was initially a bit dismissive, but he was extremely impressed that it was weathersealed and wished he had known about it.

I think the weathersealing thing is a very important USP of the camera and needs to be highlighted to customers, not hidden in the specs sheet.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 22/05/2012 - 20:28
JAK
Posted 22/05/2012 - 20:28 Link
sterretje wrote:
Yep, wonder what I have missed. And no, a K30 does not need 24mp sensor.

I'm not sure even an updated K-5 does either. Leave the 24mp sensors for Full Frame.

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 22/05/2012 - 20:29
greynolds999
Posted 22/05/2012 - 21:13 Link
Even full frame doesn't. In fact I would argue that anything past about 14 is unnecessary. But that's a whole other argument....
Stuey
Posted 22/05/2012 - 21:30 Link
I have never quite got the this brand is better than that one arguments

As far as I am concerned the best brand is the one that suits the individual purchasers needs the most - simple as that.

So many people buy into a system for the wrong reasons

Yes canikon have some excellent lenses and long glass and are more suited to some professionals but not others (645d springs to mind)

I like the long canikon glass but could not afford it even if I had a matching camera body and as such to me it is useless. As is the sigma 500mm f4.5 - just too much cash for me to afford for one lens

Therefore I would argue that there is no singular answer to which is best or worst - Sony have a very capable piece of long glass the last time I looked but this does not make them better or worse does it :
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Smeggypants
Posted 22/05/2012 - 21:45 Link
Mike-P wrote:
PentaxP50 wrote:

Unless I've missed something, I can't see how the K-30 bests the K-5? I agree that it seems an improvement over the KR, but not the K-5.

New faster AF, updated version of the same sensor, better video, more weather seals and focus peeking are all improvements over the K-5.

The K-5 has a top LCD and microphone input/hdmi output in it'd favour

I would take the K30 any day .. and I use the K-5

How do we know the AF is faster?

Apologies if I've missed a link to a comparison test
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
davidstorm
Posted 22/05/2012 - 21:59 Link
Algernon wrote:
Accurate manual focus on the K-5 at around 1M is impossible

I'm not sure what you mean by this Algi - I have no difficulty manually focussing my K-5 at any distances. I use it for Macro, Wildlife and all other manner of things where I focus manually. The viewfinder is good and there is a focus confirmation if you need it. Could you explain a little further what you mean?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Haworth
Posted 22/05/2012 - 22:09 Link
Shaky wrote:

The volume segment of the market would undoubtedly prefer to buy a camera associated with sun, sea and sand, or say family and children, or cuddly pets.

Needless to say mud and the pouring rain are complete turn offs.

If you check out the link below and scroll down to the bottom of the page, the publicity pics are obviously aiming at something different to mud and rain.

Pictures of young people and familiy on beach with K-30

Plenty of fun, sand and smiles there!
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr
Smeggypants
Posted 22/05/2012 - 22:21 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Algernon wrote:
Accurate manual focus on the K-5 at around 1M is impossible

I'm not sure what you mean by this Algi - I have no difficulty manually focussing my K-5 at any distances. I use it for Macro, Wildlife and all other manner of things where I focus manually. The viewfinder is good and there is a focus confirmation if you need it. Could you explain a little further what you mean?

Regards
David

The viewfinder can only resolve DOFs at F/2.0 and above. It's impossible to use it to focus my Pentax A50/1.2 @F/1.2

The only way is to use the Live View Magnified ( which makes composing the pic almost impossible
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.