Pentax K10D

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 21:29
Hi,
I have not been here for a while. Mainly as I had some bad luck in 2007. I had to go bankrupt and in the process had all my camera equipment and other Items taken to pay creditors. I am now slowly getting back on my feet. Just after Christmas I was offered a Canon 400D at a really good price so bought it to at least allow me once again to take photo's as this is the only hobby I have.

I have been using it for the last few months, but just could not get the pictures I wanted as I did with the Pentax K100. So decided yesterday to sell the canon camera and a Sigma Lens I had on Ebay as a buy it now. Both have sold immediately with instant payments. So today have been looking around for a Pentax K10D and found one this evening with a buy it now price of 430 + postage. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200201271256&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Just wondered if I got a bargain. Bit out of touch with prices. The extra lens looks nice, but can you tell me if it is any good.

Mannesty

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 21:44
Check out http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/index3.asp?id=622&section=Pentax+K10D&s... for an indication of new prices with 2 year warranty.

I'd say you got a reasonable deal, as long as it is as good as the sellers description.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:11
Are you sure about the 2 year warranty? According to Pentax UK it is only 1 year - http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/faq/general.php?photo&faq&general

UPINSMOKE sorry to hear about your bad luck, maybe you should contact petekd - he is selling his kit.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:19
Mannesty wrote:
Check out http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/index3.asp?id=622&section=Pentax+K10D&s... for an indication of new prices with 2 year warranty.

I'd say you got a reasonable deal, as long as it is as good as the sellers description.

I'm glad the Sigma lens has "full auto focus". I hate those half auto focus lenses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:21
George Lazarette wrote:

I'm glad the Sigma lens has "full auto focus". I hate those half auto focus lenses.

It's the unbelievably good one, George.

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:26
Quote:
UPINSMOKE sorry to hear about your bad luck, maybe you should contact petekd - he is selling his kit.

I would if I had any money left after my recent purchase on ebay. But hopefully will be getting some extra cash on Friday from the sales of some other Items I had knocking around. If so will be in the market for another lense. Want somthing for Bird Photography. Any Sugestions welcome. If my other things sell I will have a buget of say 500-600 to spend.

Will also be needing a spare battery, cable release, or remote. Any links to where I may get these would be good.

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:33
Quote:

Did you mean the Sigma 28-200 I have just bought. Can you elaborate please.

ChrisA

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:41
UPINSMOKE wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, it was just a reference to the eBay ad that referred to it as unbelievably good that made me giggle in the context of George's reference to full (as opposed to half) auto focus. Please just ignore me...

I know nothing about that particular lens, but I've had a manual focus Sigma 28-200 for many years, and it's given me excellent service. Any lack of optical qualities it may have had were more than compensated for by its convenience. I'd never sell it.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:43
UPINSMOKE wrote:
Quote:

The rather effusive Ebay description describes the Sigma as being "full auto focus", (which, of course, is meaningless gibberish), and it is also apparently "unbelievably good". As opposed to the kit lens, which is merely "fantastic".

We just have to hope that the reality lives up to the hyperbole.

G

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:44
I must be slowing down. Chris beat me to it.

G

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:54
Thanks for the explanation's, but I am no nearer to finding out from someone if the 28-200 sigma lens is any good or not. Also any comments on a good bird photography lens also.

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 22:58
Quote:
I know nothing about that particular lens, but I've had a manual focus Sigma 28-200 for many years, and it's given me excellent service. Any lack of optical qualities it may have had were more than compensated for by its convenience. I'd never sell it.

Sorry I missed this. I will just have to wait and see. Hope to get it on friday, can't wait to try it out.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 23:14
There are good and bad Sigma lenses. I had a Sigma 28-200 once, and it was terrible, so don't get your hopes up. I gave mine away for nothing, and even then, I was overcharging.

It's also the wrong range for digital. A digital GP zoom would be 18-135mm.

The 18-55 is fine though, if you don't shoot wide open.

There are, unfortunately, no good, cheap, bird lenses. The Pentax 80-320 zoom is a possible budget choice, but it's a bit soft at the long end, which is not what you want. I am a fan of my SMCP-F 300mm 1:4.5 (for hand-holding), but it's not a cheap lens, and nor is it easy to find.

There have been some nice, sharp pictures posted here in the last year taken with Sigma lenses, and no doubt somebody will recommend one. Remember that extreme lengths bring their own problems. 400mm is as long as most people are capable of going.

G

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 23:19
Here's what you need (apart from lots of money):

http://tinyurl.com/yokhm7

G

iceblinker

Link Posted 20/02/2008 - 23:35
UPINSMOKE wrote:
Just wondered if I got a bargain. Bit out of touch with prices. The extra lens looks nice, but can you tell me if it is any good.

That's a good price if the camera really is in excellent condition - which I would expect.

However, I would not expect the Sigma 28-200mm to be particularly good or useful, so I would sell it to get some cash back to put towards another lens.
~Pete
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.