Multiple exposure mode

kcmadr

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 20:54
How does the in-camera (K10D/K20D) multi-exposure mode (both of them) differ from placing two images one over the other in Photoshop and adjusting the layer opacity?

What does the camera actually DO with the information it records? How does it treat the exposure of each recorded pixel?

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 21:43
I dunno, but you have to tell it how many exposures you are taking first so it must do sumpink with exposure levels.

hehe I said 'exposures'.... heheheh!!
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery

hefty1

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 23:03
I can't speak for the K20D but on the K10D you effectively have the choice of 2 multi exposure modes:

By having the "Auto EV Adjust" switched off (box unchecked) it does behave pretty much like layering photos in Photoshop. I've yet to really find a use for this one to be honest.

By having it switched on (box checked) it becomes quite useful as it makes a single picture by averageing out the recorded information into one properly exposed shot. Uses for this include the elimination of ND filters for all those flowing water shots, great street scenes populated by ghosts, virtual elimination of noise at *any* ISO, greater dynamic range (although you need to bracket manually as you can't have multi-exposure and bracketing switched on at the same time for some reason) - and probably lots of others that I've not discovered yet.

Of course, you need a tripod for all these to make sure the pics line up but I find it a great creative tool.
Joining the Q

rtunstal

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 10:30
Thanks for this info guys. This is amazing info and I thought I'd read my K10d manual cover to cover! I wish I hadn't bought that ND8 filter a couple of weeks back now!
www.flickr.com/photos/baldmonk

hefty1

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 11:48
Yes, the manual's good for telling you how to do things but generally makes no attempt to explain why you'd want to do them.
Joining the Q
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.