Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K-5?

Shaky
Posted 03/03/2010 - 18:28 Link
Quote:
Pentax K-5
By PR admin | March 3, 2010

There are some rumors about a potential Pentax K-5 DSLR camera that will be placed above the K-x and below the K-7. This information came comes from sales representative for Swedish Pentax distributor (source).

Source: Photo Rumors

bwlchmawr
Posted 03/03/2010 - 18:30 Link
Blimey is there room for a camera there? It's a pretty small gap to fill! I'd have thought a £300 entry camera more important... Snare them young!

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
PG
Posted 03/03/2010 - 18:31 Link
In that same post, there's links to the Pentax FF DSLR that'll arrive in 2010. Somehow, I think the author is just hedging his bets
PhilipGoh.com - Wedding and Portrait Photographer
Anvh
Posted 03/03/2010 - 18:57 Link
Also I believe a D-FA 50mm f/1.0 can not be made for the K-mount because it's to small.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 03/03/2010 - 19:05 Link
I would love to be a camera rep .. such fun starting rumours and then watching different forums turn into a frenzy of discussion
Pentaxophile
Posted 03/03/2010 - 21:00 Link
Oooh, and Pentax to be bought by JVC (juh-vuh-kuh)... Should be interesting for new developments in 'huhd' video.

(Hoya denies rumour).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 03/03/2010 - 21:02
robbie_d
Posted 03/03/2010 - 21:01 Link
bwichmawr wrote:
Blimey is there room for a camera there? It's a pretty small gap to fill! I'd have thought a £300 entry camera more important... Snare them young!

Regards,

Andrew

Fully agreed.

A K-m replacement would be a great move for Pentax at the moment. A camera at the entry level offering class leading spec (or class equalling at a lower price) would help ensure a large number of new SLR users buying into the Pentax system.

I don't understand why they haven't done it already.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Shaky
Posted 03/03/2010 - 21:10 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Oooh, and Pentax to be bought by JVC (juh-vuh-kuh)

I fear notwithstanding potential modest advances in Pentax’s relative market position recently, serious potential acquirors remain more in the Terry Tibbs league.
Anvh
Posted 03/03/2010 - 21:46 Link
robbie_d wrote:

Busy with a new camera?

It's almost a giving that a company is already busy with a new camera when the old one is just in the shops, so no surprise there.
Of course there will be a camera above the K-X, it's the K-X replacement over a year or so
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
techno-terminator
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:02 Link
Stefan

Quote:
It's almost a giving that a company

Nope - should be " It's almost a given ............"
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Anvh
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:10 Link
technoidiot wrote:
Stefan

Quote:
It's almost a giving that a company

Nope - should be " It's almost a given ............"

Thank you teacher, just a stupid mistake
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
robbie_d
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:13 Link
Anvh wrote:
robbie_d wrote:

Busy with a new camera?

It's almost a giving that a company is already busy with a new camera when the old one is just in the shops, so no surprise there.
Of course there will be a camera above the K-X, it's the K-X replacement over a year or so

It's not a camera above the K-x that people should be concerned about, it's below the K-x that needs attention.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Anvh
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:29 Link
If Pentax wait long enough they don't need one...
I wonder how much of the market extra they should take then and how they must get a camera under the K-X?

Comment Image

2008, I know old numbers but you can see the models above the lowest entry level are more popular.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 03/03/2010 - 22:30
George Lazarette
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:33 Link
Anvh wrote:
Also I believe a D-FA 50mm f/1.0 can not be made for the K-mount because it's to small.

Why?

The mount does not allow such an aperture on a 35mm camera, but it might well be OK on an APS-C camera.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Shaky
Posted 03/03/2010 - 22:41 Link
robbie_d wrote:
It's not a camera above the K-x that people should be concerned about, it's below the K-x that needs attention.

I strongly disagree.

The Kx is by all accounts doing relatively well as the entry level product to the Pentax ‘range’. On the other hand, with apologies to K7 owners it is an open secret that its sensor is inferior to that in the Kx.

This sets up a classic situation of cognitive dissonance; the better product is the cheaper one. How can it be resolved?

Well I for one have watched bemused at the fevered attempts to pigeonhole Pentax dslrs; are they entry level, advanced enthusiast, prosumer, pro, etc, etc ad nauseam. Clearly the perceived distinction is of great and perhaps critical importance to many people, therefore this group is unlikely to go out and buy the ‘entry level’ product.

However, cognitive dissonance is a genuine psychological malaise that needs be resolved. Perhaps Canikon has the answer?

Which is why Pentax need to streamline their product lineup as a matter of urgency.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.