istD

RyanK

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 12:50
Hi all

Having been on the lookout for a cheap second camera house I´ve found a well kept istD.
It seems this has been rather well reviewed in the past.
But in the present day and time do you forum members who own one of these (old) houses still find yourselves using it? or have you all upgraded and are only using the newer models?

Best regards
Ryan

K10D

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 12:53
Still use mine. It is an excellent camera.

Regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

MattMatic

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 13:14
Mine gets used (though generally by my son)

Actually, I really like its small size and image quality.
Ok, it's "only" 6Mp, but I have some of my best images from this beast. Writing to CF is quite slow, and RAW can be painfully slow after using the K20D. But it's definitely usable - it just slows you right down (which is probably a good thing!).

Plus points:
* Support for TTL as well as P-TTL flash guns
* Lovely big viewfinder and in-viewfinder indicators!
* PC socket for studio lights
* Three custom settings - I used these a lot (one for portraits, one for landscapes, one for macro, etc)
* Manual white balance 'grab' with a button- really, really useful with the Expodisc (still miss this feature!!!)

Negatives:
* Speed of use - especially compared to newer cameras
* Won't work with SDM-only lenses (like the DA17-70), alas.

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 23/02/2010 - 13:14

Jumbo48

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 13:40
I still use mine along side my K10D, if you take a look at some of my shots in the gallery you'll see the ones taken with the istD.

Regards John.
Regards John/Jumbo

Hardgravity

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 17:55
I don't have a *istD, but do have a K110 which has the same sensor.

And yes I still use it alongside my K200.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

womble

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 18:29
MattMatic wrote:

Plus points:
* Support for TTL as well as P-TTL flash guns
* Lovely big viewfinder and in-viewfinder indicators!
* PC socket for studio lights
* Three custom settings - I used these a lot (one for portraits, one for landscapes, one for macro, etc)
* Manual white balance 'grab' with a button- really, really useful with the Expodisc (still miss this feature!!!)

Many of those would be excellent to have on the newer models especially the TTL flash metering and the white balance grab. Manual WB is such a faff on the K20D.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

mowog

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 18:42
I have an *istD. Bought used from a fellow forum member. Before that, I had an *istDL2, a later model, but I much prefer the D.
The only disadvantage, is that the image can take a few seconds to appear on the screen, after a shot is taken. With later models, this is almost instant. Also, the memory card (CF) can be a bit fiddly to remove.
The viewfinder display is the best. Much better than any other digital SLR, I know of.

If you don't need super-fast performance, It's a great camera.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

RyanK

Link Posted 24/02/2010 - 12:29
Thanks you all for your speedy replies. Very much appreciated
A stellar example of the Pentax *istD is now on its way...

- and John:

Jumbo48 wrote:
I still use mine along side my K10D, if you take a look at some of my shots in the gallery you'll see the ones taken with the istD.

Regards John.

Great shots... I must say.

Best regards
Ryan

RyanK

Link Posted 04/03/2010 - 12:59
And so it has arrived!

And oh so pleased with the the way it looks (absolutely pristine condition and only 3500 actuations), the way it feels and the way it handles
So far I have been very pleased with the IQ of the pictures taken with it.

Once again - thank you all for your comments!

Best regards
Ryan

stu49

Link Posted 04/03/2010 - 13:06
Can I be cheeky and ask what u paid for it !? PM me if you'd rather

Only I'm looking at one at the moment and not sure what they're worth.

Stu

Stu - K10D | DFA 100/2.8 Macro | DA 55-300 | AF-360FGZ |

So much to learn... So little time !

mckendrick

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 15:56
I've been running a *istD since they appeared and am deliriously happy with it.

I've thought about 'upgrading' but hearing of so many undesirable qualities that come with the [*istD] successors I'm going to take a lot of convincing to do so.

Even with it's mere 6.1mp sensor the picture quality is fab.... and then there are those oh-so-handy flash options....
Bodies: MX, LX, *ist D, K-50, KP

Optics: SMC Takumar 28-80mm 3.5-4, SMC Takumar 80-200 4, SMC M200mm 2.8, SMC A28mm 2.8mm, SMC A50mm 1.7, SMC A100mm 2.8 macro, DA10-17mm 3.5-4.5 Fisheye, DA18-55mm II 3.5-5.6, DA50-200mm 4-5.6
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.