Pentax Full Frame Comment

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 12:01
I picked this up from the Russian Facebook page and thought it was quite interesting, so here it is in the original plus Bing translation. I've left the original in so those who read Russian can get the proper version.
Quote:

отрывок из выступления одного из руководителей Пентакс: "..Во-первых, мы серьезно обсуждаем разработку полнокадровой зеркальной камеры. Мы налаживаем контакты с разработчиком полнокадровых сенсоров и переводим процесс разработки на стадию создания конечного продукта.

Если смотреть с точки зрения "создания новой зеркалки", то для нас нет никакой разницы между созданием кропа и полнокадровой камер: у нас есть всё необходимое, чтобы создать полнокадровую камеру после получения на руки соответствующего сенсора и проведения необходимого цикла разработки. Однако, мы считаем, что должна быть обозначена явная разница между кропом и полнокадровой камерой как по части качества снимков, так и по части возможностей, доступных пользователю при съемке. Это и является причиной, по которой мы оставили в производстве почти одни DA объективы: мы думали (и продолжаем думать, что будет сложно показать явную разницу потребителю между кропнутой и полнокадровой камерами."
an excerpt from the statement made by one of the leaders of the Pentax: "..First, we are seriously discussing the development of a full frame SLR camera. We are pursuing contacts with the developer of full frame sensors and translate the development process at the stage of creating the final product.

When viewed from the perspective of "creating a new DSLR is much more suitable" for us there is no difference between creating a cron and full frame cameras: we have everything you need to create a wide camera after getting your hands on the sensor and the necessary development cycle. However, we believe that there should be a marked a clear difference between a kropom and a full frame camera like on the image quality and the features available to the user when shooting. This is the reason why we left in almost DA lenses: we thought (and still think) that it would be difficult to show a clear difference to the consumer between kropnutoj and full frame cameras. " (Translated by Bing

Best regards, John

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 12:10
So it looks like the next offering won't be named the K3 after all, looking forward to the K Ropnutoj instead. Looks like it will take almost DA lenses, I suppose that means a new range of CA lenses.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

JohnX

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 12:24
I read elsewhere another 'from the horses mouth' quote, along the lines that the next Pentax is an APS-C , around 20meg (possibly using the latest Sony sensor), but that the processing has been improved so that IQ is equal to the 645D. Note the present tense.

This comes from the Philippines, allegedly from a Pentax manager at some sort of trade fair.

jules

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 12:42
Heard that one, too! Wonder if they did a deal with hassy for the pixel shift super resolution?
Or maybe "Same" as 645D means it's crap at high ISO's
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 19/09/2013 - 12:42

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:17
Well when we do hear these things why not mention them in the forum? I'm sure everyone would appreciate information being shared!
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:27
The Google translation version is here in case people find it slightly clearer

Quote:
an excerpt from the speech of one of the leaders of Pentax: ".. First of all, we are seriously discussing the development of a full-frame SLR camera. We contacted the developer of full-frame sensors and translate to the stage of the development process to create the final product.

When viewed from the perspective of "a new SLR", for us there is no difference between creating crop and full-frame cameras: we have everything you need to create a full-frame camera after getting your hands on the appropriate sensor and that the necessary development cycle. However, we believe that there should be a marked difference between explicit and sprinkled the full-frame camera as on the quality of the images and on the part of the options available to the user when shooting. This is the reason why we left almost alone in the production of DA lenses: we thought (and still think that it will be difficult to show a clear difference between the consumer and kropnutyh full-frame cameras.

Well it just confirms what we already really know - Pentax are looking seriously into FF but are reluctant to formally commit to it.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 19/09/2013 - 13:30

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:35
They are also saying, it seems to me, that the difference in quality would be hard to justify. I suppose it's inevitable that APS-C has become so good that FF would have to be extraordinary in some way to make the bulk and cost worthwhile.
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:49
a d-slr that competes directly with the 645d would give me cause, knowing how fickle the Pentax clientele are... to think Pentax would either discontinue or seriously upgrade the 645 d before releasing a d-slr that kills the old 645d...
so maybe they release an improved d-slr and 645d at the same time...
would explain the delays. Why shoot themselves in the proverbial foot and get bad pr from inside and outside the Pentax camp?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 19/09/2013 - 13:50

Algernon

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:53
I have a lot of faith in the future of Pentax.....
now that they have been taken over by Zenit

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Gajan

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 13:57
johnriley wrote:
They are also saying, it seems to me, that the difference in quality would be hard to justify. I suppose it's inevitable that APS-C has become so good that FF would have to be extraordinary in some way to make the bulk and cost worthwhile.

While it is true that APS-C is very good, it seems some Pentaxians are moving to other brands just to upgrade to FF (if reasons given by some to sell their equipment is to be believed).
Best Regards,

Gajan

Flickr : link

Pentax K-1, Pentax HD D-FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR, Pentax FA 77mm 1.8 Limited, Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR
Pentax K-5, Pentax 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR, Pentax DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR
Pentax K100D Super, SMC Pentax 3.6-:5.4 18-55mm AL

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 14:00
I think that's a very small number though Gajan and whether or not having got there they find it's what they expected/wanted is unknown. Some come back.

It's not enough in numbers to justify on its own major investment.
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 14:05
What we can't quantify is how many photographers avoid/dismiss Pentax becuase of the lack of FF... I have a ModelMayhem account, and a lot of the photographers on there are VERY sniffy about what the call 'crap sensor' cameras.... Ben Kanarek has just joined their ranks

There's no doubt FF offers an advantage for many shooters although my position is APSC is good enough for me, no matter how much FF appeals....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 19/09/2013 - 14:09

Smeggypants

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 14:20
johnriley wrote:

It's a sensible rationale to make John, but as we've seen with current Pentax model differences, sadly to the point of tedium, tantrums and tears, the actual real life differences in quality and how customers perceive those differences can be two different things.

If and when Pentax do release a FF Camera you can be sure that some of it's purchasers will be declaring a HUGE difference in quality.

I rather like the idea of a FF model so I can get the wider FOV on my A50/1.2 but there's no way I can justify the expense just for that so it's likely I'll be sticking with the APS-C route.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 14:22
It seems to me that although small in number, those that have moved to Nikon (it always seems to be Nikon) are amongst the finest of Pentax photographers. In fact I struggle now to think of great photographers that remain. Bill Gekas and one or two I have noted from 500pix. Let's hope the K Ropnutoj really is as good as that statement would suggest. The apparently firm commitments to full frame have become we are still thinking about it in the above garbled Russian. Pentax is at a fork in the road, will it remain a brand for amateurs or is it serious about the greater ambitions it has stated, we shall see soon enough.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Dodge69

Link Posted 19/09/2013 - 14:31
johnriley wrote:

Given DXO labs verdict on the K5IIs and even on the dpreview studio comparison tool, you'd have to agree.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.