Advice please on K-500 orientation sensor

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 10:34
My new K-500 which I have had for about 3 weeks does not seem to set the correct information in the orientation part of the exif data. It shows top,left irrespective of whether or not I hold the camera in portrait or landscape mode. Dos anyone else with one of these have the same problem? Is it likely to be a firmware issue or a fault in the camera?

Stuart

InFESTation

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 10:57
It may be in the menu settings, the K-r has an orientation function, but don't have it available to check where in the settings.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 11:46
I have just checked the manual and you can change the exif data from the menu for a specific image. However I did email Pentax directly and they have suggested updating the firmware to the new level just released and see what happens. I'll do that and then test again.

Stuart

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 12:05
Just installed the latest firmware and it does not solve it, however I can change the orientation manually for an individual image from the menu when reviewing an image which then downloads and displays in the correct way. Sounds to me like a fault in the camera unless there is a hidden menu item I've not found. The manual does not say anything about activating the sensor, I searched the PDF file.

Stuart

johnriley

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 12:46
Go the custom settings and look for saving image rotation, making sure it is set to On.

In the playback menu also make sure auto image rotation is ticked.
Best regards, John

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:08
There is nothing in any menu I can find for generally saving the orientation in exif. The data is there but always says top,left irrespective of camera orientation. If I manually in camera alter the rotation it then sets the correct data which is used to display the image both on the camera and on the PC when downloaded.

Stuart

johnriley

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:13
I'm not sure why you're looking at the EXIF data - all the settings are in the camera menus.

Are the camera menu settings correct? If they are, then the images should display the correct way up in programs such as Photoshop.
Best regards, John

Mongoose

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:21
I think the issue might be with your understanding of the tag rather than the camera:

my understanding is that the tag indicates the location of the 0th row in each dimension of the image as stored. If the camera is storing the image rotated such that this is always the top left, then the tag is correct.

I don't have my camera to hand to check the behaviour on mine.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 18:26
I am comparing the exif tag in my Canon SX10IS with that of my K-500. The Canon correctly shows top,left for a landscape image when downloaded and in camera it displays correctly, with portrait it show left bottom and again in camera it displays correctly as a portrait mode and on the PC.

The K-500 always has top,left in the orientation field in exif when downloaded in both a portrait image and a landscape image. In camera it always shows portrait images in landscape mode.

Now when I display a portrait image in camera and hit the down arrow button on the back it displays 4 thumbnail images of the possible rotations, I can select the correct orientation for the image and it saves the correct data in the exif tag, it then displays the image in camera as portrait and when downloaded it displays correctly on the PC.

So this is a camera issue. Either the camera does not have an orientation sensor, or it is not working, or there is an as yet unresolved issue with the firmware.

I am waiting for a further reply from Pentax support now.

Stuart

JohnX

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 19:49
broadstairs wrote:

Now when I display a portrait image in camera and hit the down arrow button on the back it displays 4 thumbnail images of the possible rotations, I can select the correct orientation for the image and it saves the correct data in the exif tag, it then displays the image in camera as portrait and when downloaded it displays correctly on the PC.

What you describe is the only way to do it with the K-500.

In their 'wisdom' Pentax decided an entry-level camera at the price point of the K-500 doesn't need;

•Weather sealing
•Viewfinder AF point display
•Electronic level display
•Image auto-rotation

all of which was stripped out from the K-50 when they spec'd the K-500, so, not a fault, it's by design.

You'll need to go up the range to the K-50 or above.
Last Edited by JohnX on 23/09/2013 - 19:57

broadstairs

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 22:32
Well if that is the case it is unacceptable that many reviews state it has a sensor. I have contacted Pentax and even their support have not said it does not have one!

Stuart

broadstairs

Link Posted 28/09/2013 - 18:25
I have had a notification of a private message today but none are showing in my inbox. Dont know if it was for this thread or my other one in Adverts.

Stuart
Last Edited by broadstairs on 28/09/2013 - 18:27

johnriley

Link Posted 28/09/2013 - 18:53
Sometimes a user will change their mind and cancel a message before you've read it. The notification will already have been sent, but will lead to nothing.
Best regards, John

broadstairs

Link Posted 28/09/2013 - 22:10
Thanks John, never happened before on any other forums I use but maybe no one has ever changed their mind before?

Stuart
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.