Pentax FF DSLR - confirmed

froeschle

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 09:05
DC Watch: Interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, Pentax's Head of Business Development

[*]http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/201538-dc-watch-interview-toshiyuki-kitazawa-pentaxs-head-business-development.html#post2129978

[*]http://www.p1racephotography.com.au/2012/10/10/news-pentax-full-frame-slr-in-development-will-this-give-sports-photogs-another-option/

[*]http://ricehigh.blogspot.de/2012/10/latest-pentax-interview-with-pentax.html

Quote:
[...] Pentax Japan development unification section chief, Toshiyuki Kitazawa, said, “We are working on it [the FF camera] as a product proposal, so it will, without doubt, be released”.

However, he said, “we are developing with an eye to a 2013-or-later release”, so even though he also said Pentax was already in contact with sensor manufacturers, don’t get your hopes up just yet. [...]

cabstar

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 10:09
Impressed with that interview, particularly the thoughts about sub 2400usd ff bodies. If that the market they're going for by 2013/4 the price will be a lot less than that,,also the discussion about new lenses for FF fits in with the new patent for the 70-200mm 2.8

Updated 645d is also good new, with the launch of ff pentax will be the only manufacture of interchangeable lens bodies from small factor the q to mf the 645d, fascinating turnaround if they can pull it off...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

K10D

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 11:56
"Pentax will be the only manufacture of interchangeable lens bodies from a small factor, the Q to the MF 645D".

Just think of a Pentax 110 to a Pentax 6x7. They have been there before.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

froeschle

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 12:29
Quote:
[...] However, SLR [...] users have been seeking for better IQ even if only slightly. For this reason they would like to move forward to the largest sensor size which their lens-mount system accepts. [...] Our long term strategy is towards FF while short term strategy is increasing line-up in APS-C segment. [..] Back to FF [...] We are developing towards commercial production and will definitely launch though, [...] As to time frame, it is under advanced development towards 2013 or later. You can expect that. [...]

-> Pentax just has officially announced that a PKAF-FF-DSLR is in the works and will be brought to series-production readiness.

Stuey

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 12:38
Woo hoo - not for me but for those who want one

I was reading the latest AP and realising just how pointless to me (not for others) that a full frame model at £2000 (or there abouts) would be (at present)

I appreciate how good this will be for those who want it and how it offers an option for those like myself who don't feel they have a need for it as yet

I hope its a great model that people get behind and applaud it's plus point's rather than picking holes at any weaknesses it may or may not be percieved to have - here's hoping
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

greynolds999

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 12:54
Of course this puts Pentax in direct competition with the Canon EOS 5D MKII (£1,500) and the Nikon D600 (£2,000 but will come down) so they really are making a push to get back into the game.

(I'm sure Sony have some cameras but nobody is even going to look at them).

If they can combine a great FF camera with some great lenses there could be interesting times ahead.
My Photobucket

fritzthedog

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 13:27
Whilst I shall not be in the queue to buy one this is great news that benefits all of us:

Hopefully it will now stop all of the boring "why haven't we got FF - I am jumping ship" threads

More importantly - can I just register my immediate interest for all of those wonderful lenses you own that will no longer suite you.

I am anticipating there will be such a deluge of them available that you will all want to virtually give them to me for nothing or indeed swap them with me for the stash of old FF lenses I have been saving for this momentous occasion

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

cabstar

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 13:28
The d600 can already be had for £1659 from SRS

Imagine the price pentax will need to launch at in 2013/14
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Last Edited by cabstar on 10/10/2012 - 13:31

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 14:01
cabstar wrote:
The d600 can already be had for £1659 from SRS

Imagine the price Pentax will need to launch at in 2013/14

Pentax will (yet again) come in way to high on the RRP and make a mess of it...

I reckon they don't get enough 'units' made in their production runs (probably as they think they won't sell many) so the prices stay high... CaNikon have larger production runs (the mass produced EF 50mm 1.8 for example) so the price per unit comes down...

Pentax need to think bigger in both their marketing strategy (as previously discussed) and size of production run...

They won't though...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 14:03
Thumbs up to Pentax for listening to the users who have been clamouring for this for some time. I only hope the people making the demands don't let Pentax down by failing to put their money where their mouths are. Given the time and cost to develop this, as well as lenses to match, it could be a big risk for Pentax. It's not the same as the 645D, which really had no competition in its price range when it came out. Given the competition from Canon and Nikon this seems a far riskier proposition.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2

K10D

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 14:08
fritzthedog wrote:
Hopefully it will now stop all of the boring "why haven't we got FF - I am jumping ship" threads

Carl

Absolutely agree, the people wanting a FF from Pentax are boring. Even those wanting faster AF are boring.

Why would any Pentax user possibly want to use a Ltd lens on a camera format that it was actually designed to be used with?

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Don

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 14:59
means the k5II's vs k30 vs k-01 debate is settled for me... I'll either grab a used k5 or a new k-01 to tide me over for next year...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

timothyw

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 15:04
K10D wrote:
Absolutely agree, the people wanting a FF from Pentax are boring. Even those wanting faster AF are boring.

Why would any Pentax user possibly want to use a Ltd lens on a camera format that it was actually designed to be used with?

Best regards

There's nothing boring about wanting a FF Pentax, it's the moaning threads that are boring and serve little purpose. If Pentax were ready to give us FF, they would have.

At least now those people can either get on with buying a Canikon, or start saving the £2000 ish that this Pentax is likely to cost...

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 15:23
timothyw wrote:
K10D wrote:

Best regards

There's nothing boring about wanting a FF Pentax, it's the moaning threads that are boring and serve little purpose. If Pentax were ready to give us FF, they would have.

At least now those people can either get on with buying a Canikon, or start saving the £2000 ish that this Pentax is likely to cost...

Or start new even more boring threads about how expensive it is and how they will wait until it falls to £300 before they will buy one .

Algernon

Link Posted 10/10/2012 - 15:38
Wait til they see it's got a . . . . . . . Mirror!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.