October meet

gtis

Link Posted 01/09/2014 - 18:48
Hi
I was talking to carl(fritzthedog) at the tickhill gp and Barrie (bforbes) at oldmoor
Yesterday about a October meet and we where thinking about
NYMR railway in wartime http://www.nymr.co.uk/wartime/
All welcome if you have never been on pentax meet its a great way to make new friends
And share tips and ask questions if having problems with your camera
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/09/2014 - 19:51
Hi Neil

As mentioned - I go every year so I am certainly up for it. For those who have never been - it is a fantastic opportunity whether you like steam trains, vintage vehicles, war re-enactments, live music, street photography or just meeting a lot of very interesting people from around the world and even a smattering of celebs.

Masses to see, do and photograph and virtually impossible to cover it in a full day - which is why I have been 2 out of the 3 days for the last couple of years.

To get the most out of the day - purchasing an all day rover ticket is the way to do it - hopping on and off trains at all of the stations - all of which have different things going on. One of my favorites being Levisham station - re-branded Le Visham for the event and always the home of the French resistance and Gestapo!

If we are going to meet up better plan on doing it fairly early in the morning as it can get extremely busy!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

bforbes

Link Posted 01/09/2014 - 20:20
Yes I'm keen. Having been once before I can agree with Carl "extremely busy" but "masses to see".
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

NaimKhan

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 16:48
Hi guys,
Not entirely sure how it works but I would be interested in going. I am available on Friday and Sunday 10 + 12 October but am working Saturday 11.
Can someone explain to me what happens? Does one need to get to Pickering and then take the train up to Whitby?
Cheers.

Naim
PPG

gtis

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 18:42
Hi naim
We would probably meet up in Pickering and buy a all day rover ticket so we can hop on and hop off
At as many stations as we want to take advantage of what's going off
Saturday or Sunday are best for me
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

JAK

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 19:00
Ticket prices for the war time weekend are here:

https://nymr.secure.force.com/ticket#details_a0OA0000005FLaaMAG
John K

fritzthedog

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 19:19
Saturday or Sunday are fine with me - whatever suites most people.

To get the most out of the day - would suggest meeting in Pickering as early as people can.

From experience - it is best to be on the first train from Pickering at around 0930 otherwise you have a fight on your hands to get the next one which is generally over an hour later on the event days (timetable not yet announced).

Also parking much after 0900 can be a problem unless you want to do the park and ride from outside town - which can be a pain.

Carl

gtis

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 20:14
hi carl
the first train time is fine by me
is the carpark opposite the big hotel
on the juction as you enter pickring still there
cheers Neil
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Last Edited by gtis on 03/09/2014 - 20:15

NaimKhan

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 21:42
I can do Sunday and should be able to get to Pickering for 9.30.
PPG

bforbes

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 21:56
Sunday Pickering 9.30 is fine by me
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

gtis

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 22:25
Ok
Let's say 9-00 to 9-15 for the 9-30 train if that's the first train of the day
Will check the times nearer the date
cheers Neil
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

fritzthedog

Link Posted 04/09/2014 - 08:28
Hi

There will be 2 long stay car parks open- these are:

Eastgate - This is the one you mean Neil - this is just off the A169 (Whitby Road). Entering Pickering on the A169 - go across the roundabout - signposted Whitby - and take the first right - clearly sign posted. This is the largest car park

Vivis Lane - this is a very small car park and the closest to the station. Entering Pickering on the A 169 - turn left at the roundabout. Go over the bridge to the traffic lights and turn left. Car park is 50 yards down on the right.

They also usually open a temporary car park for the event just off the A169 before you get to the roundabout on the left behind the petrol station. This is only a 5 minute walk from the town

In terms of meeting point. I would suggest the best place would be outside the Tourist Information office on The Ropery (next to the library and opposite the short stay car park). The Ropery is the road that leads to the rail station from the main road, The Tourist Info office is only about 50 yards from the rail station.

To get there from Eastgate Car Park - leaving the car park - go back to the roundabout and turn right towards the town. Stay on the main road (A170 Hungate) continue down Hungate over the bridge to the traffic lights - turn right on to The Ropery - walk down towards the car park entrance and the tourist info office is across the road to your left.

Carl
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 04/09/2014 - 08:45

fritzthedog

Link Posted 04/09/2014 - 08:48
For those considering joining us - a few images from last year to get us in the mood

Carl

NaimKhan

Link Posted 06/09/2014 - 18:17
Looks good to me.
Who's going to be the main man? I think we will need to exchange mobile numbers at some point before we get to Pickering.

Naim
PPG

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 06/09/2014 - 20:09
To far for me
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.