news on the 645D about crop?

WJ Bons

Link Posted 27/02/2006 - 12:38
I am searching around to find out if a 645 crop factor can be found somewhere....

I now use a 645 and like it very much. It would be nice to have 2 bodies with only one set of lenses in stead of a 35mm set, and a 645 set. But if i want to buy some extra 645 lenses because they are quite cheap now, a crop factor could disappoint me when using it on the newer 645D.

Willie.

MattMatic

Link Posted 27/02/2006 - 12:58
This isn't confirmed... just a hunch...
The 645D sensor will not be full size. It'll be larger than 35mm, but I can't imagine it'll be full size.

You've only got to check out the prices for the Phase One backs and you'll understand why.

Additionally, the marketing material for the 645D specifies that the Kodak sensor is tentative. So, I suppose until that's finalised you'll have to wait and see

Matt

MattMatic

Link Posted 27/02/2006 - 13:08
Knew I'd seen it somewhere...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05031603kodakkaf18000.asp

If this is the sensor, then it has a 1.3x FOV crop - 45mm x 35mm. That, as the Pentax press release says is "extra-large" (but note: not full frame). But note that the sensor size is guess at, based on the pixel pitch of 9x9um.

Looking at the Kodak specs myself, the 16Mp is square with an image size of 51.9mm diagonal. The 22Mp is 4:3 ratio with a diagonal of 61.2mm. Both sensors have the same (H) pixel count of 4080 active pixels, covering a chip size of just over 38mm (so, the actual sensor area will be slightly smaller). Based on that information, it would seem that the DPreview guess is pretty good

What's also of note is that the maximum clocking frequency is 20MHz, so it's not going to be that quick to clock out 18 million pixels (presumably just under 1 second).

Specs for 22Mp here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/products/fullframe/KAF-22000/specific...

Hope that helps
Matt

K10D

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 05:14
Just read Kens view on the 645D. He quotes it at $9,500.

link

For the true Pentaxian, it stirs up some emotions. You have been warned.

Regards

Tobio

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 07:16
K10D wrote:
Just read Kens view on the 645D. He quotes it at $9,500.

link

For the true Pentaxian, it stirs up some emotions. You have been warned.

Regards

I think Ken Rockwell's site isn't the best place for the most accurate info, as he himself admits, that he doesn't take things photographic too seriously in his 'About Ken Rockwell' section.
Best regards,
Tobio

K20d with Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro , smc da 18-55 mm, smc da 50-200 mm and smc da 55-300 mm + Metz 58 af-1. Editing with Pentax Photolab, Gimp and Paint.net.

PG

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 07:43
Ken has some really strong opinions, but a lot of them are just hilarious. Why do you have 11 AF points when all you need is 1? Why do you need 77 segment metering when all you need is one? Someone needs to call for a whaaaambulance.

What's piqued my interest in the announcement is the Savos IX+ AF module. Has Pentax designed a new AF module? Will that be making its way down to the DSLRs?
PhilipGoh.com - Wedding and Portrait Photographer
Last Edited by PG on 10/03/2010 - 07:45

K10D

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 07:53
PG wrote:
Ken has some really strong opinions, but a lot of them are just hilarious. Why do you have 11 AF points when all you need is 1? Why do you need 77 segment metering when all you need is one? Someone needs to call for a whaaaambulance.

Philip, he has compared one brand to another. He has quoted fact with regards to AF and metering with respect to the other brands. I agree he has an odd way of looking at things but it is only his point of view to which he is entitled.

I shoot all my APS C DSLR's using only the centre focus point so I do only need one AF point. I generally use centre weighted and spot metering as well.

The sales figures will show how well the 645Dx has been accepted.

I initially wanted one, now I don't because I don't thing $9500 is worth paying, regardless of the price of other MF systems and I am happy with the range of equipment I presently use.

The other point now is that existing 645 lenses will also have a crop factor due to the Dx size sensor in the new body. The new lens launched alongside the camera has a square hood option that cannot be used on older 645 glass as it causes vignetting.

Regards
Last Edited by K10D on 10/03/2010 - 08:05

PG

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 08:06
K10D wrote:

I shoot all my APS C DSLR's using only the centre focus point so I do only need one AF point. I generally use centre weighted and spot metering as well.

Do you complain that your DSLR has 10 extra AF points you never use? Do you complain that your camera has matrix and centre weighted metering? Therein lies the difference between you (and most photographers) and Ken Rockwell.

On a separate note, do we know why Pentax has opted for a DX version of an MF sensor? I'd have figured that if you were going MF you'd go MF all the way.
PhilipGoh.com - Wedding and Portrait Photographer
Last Edited by PG on 10/03/2010 - 08:08

K10D

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 08:17
No complaints about extra AF and metering points Philip, same as I don't complain about having video on my K7, which has yet to be used.

I agree with the Dx statement as the other brands of MF use the Kodak KAF3900 sensor that is 50.7mm x 39mm, the Pentax uses 44mm x 33mm. It is a cropped sensor. Proven in the Pentax literature for the new 55mm lens for the 645 that the square lens hood option cannot be used on existing 645 bodies as it causes vignetting.

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 08:23
This is an exciting new option that will be fast to use and very manageable in the field. Looks good to me!
Best regards, John

K10D

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 08:25
johnriley wrote:
This is an exciting new option that will be fast to use and very manageable in the field. Looks good to me!

Are you saving up John or is the money already under the pillow.

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 08:27
Fortunately for me this will be Japan-only for a while at least, but as and when SRS start to offer them then I will have talked myself into being in the queue by then.

Saving up unfortunately as the pillow is a bit flat at the moment.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 10/03/2010 - 08:27

iceblinker

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 09:54
I bet there will be quite a few westerners flying to Japan to buy one, or importing via the grey market.
~Pete

Gwyn

fatspider

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 11:25
My heart sank when I read Ken Rockwells "review" of this camera, especially the but where he states the camera has "stupid picture modes," I immediately thought it was nothing more than a grown up Kx Followed by visions of Pentax going down the pan

Fortunately Gwyns link lists the modes you'd expect with no mention of "landscape or portrait" etc

I can see this appealing to a lot of pros, especially those who's budget doesnt stretch to the competition.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.