New Pentax dslr announced

richandfleur

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 23:06
1stEverPentax wrote:

I see their DSLR range as being KS-1,2 etc aimed at the young techies, iPad generation at about £350-£400 running parallel with K60 'mature enthusiast' and about £450-£500 price mark after 4-5 months. I think they'll drop the K500/K600 altogether very soon.

I initially saw the KS-1 as being an upgraded K500, as weird as that sounded. With no WR option, they actually had a bit in common that way.

I'm still not convinced that the KS-1 is techie enough to satisfy the young techie generation. There is no touchscreen, no direct upload to facebook, no flip out screen for selfies etc, though there is wifi via the flucard option on that model from memory. I might be wrong, and I'm sure it will be a winner in Japan, but it actually doesn't seem that modern in functions, just in the way it looks.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 05/01/2015 - 23:10

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 23:58
richandfleur, My comments about the K-S1 (line) were just repeating what a senior Japanese Ricoh/Pentax marketing bod said in a recent online video interview. He said that the K-S1 and subsequent developments would parallel not replace the K-series (traditional) and specifically for the reason that they would appeal more to the younger tech savvy generation. I suppose being Ricoh (Pentax) and not Sony it might take them a short while to 'get with it'. The K-S2 potentially could be a modern classic if they get the feature/product list just right.

Ricoh build some of the world's best photocopiers (document solutions in today's jargon)...you can download wirelessly text and graphics and photos from not only your PC/laptop but also your tablet and phone, and print direct from your office colour copier. With this 'in house' expertise Ricoh could offer this facility at very little extra development cost on every DSLR camera they produce and leapfrog the competition. Touchscreen is standard with this facility. The other things like tilt/swivel monitors, social media etc are a doddle to integrate given the will although I do think they will have to integrate wifi etc directly rather than relying on those special SD cards which will never really take off.

regards

Karlo

jules

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 04:57
1stEverPentax wrote:
I don't see the K-3 as being replaced as such, more a case of saving the development cost of a new K-5 which would only end up being very similar to the K-3...so why pay twice to develop a model? The accountants wouldn't allow it.

There has to be something above the K-3 to continue to attract the wealthy enthusiasts and semi-pro/pros who will otherwise continue to leave the marque causing its demise. This time last year as well as speculation on the K60/600 there was also rumour of a 'retro' Kf or some such which I think Pentax would like to launch to appeal to the huge 'traditionalist' market..people who grew up with Pentax 35mm film. One or two other competitors have already gone down this route successfully.

It all depends then on whether they make the 'retro' model their FF offering in which case we are likely to see a K3II sooner rather than later or whether they bring out a retro styled APS-C and just use the innards from what would be the K3II in a new shiny metallic outer shell. The second option would buy them more decision time if they were still undecided whether to go with FF or not.

Anyway, regardless of the speculation...my main dilemma is whether to spend on the K50 body while the offer is still on or £499 for the K5II with 18-55DA WR! I'd rather let someone else try out the newer models first.

Thats basically what I'm saying sans the £1500 body that settles to £1200, let me clarify. I see it like this: There will be a K3 II which will replace the current K3, the K3 will stay in the range until stocks dwindle only, there will bw no more made, they are probably churning out that new pictured one as we speak by the thousand, Ricoh/Pentax don't have many production lines/slots, we'll get the K60/70 or whatever shown at CES and released in the Febuary window with the collaspable kit lens and an update on the two big lenses. Then probably a K3 II in the october show time slot with the two big lenses and the FF body next year with a new wide and standard zoom...
Or they could suprise us with the K** and the FF this year but I think then they would have to push back the K3 II a bit, which would be at odds with the two year life cycle that was obvoiusly broken when Ricoh toook over by the K5 II twins, with the K-S1 and who knows what else in the pipeline they will fast run into production problems if they do not manage their timescales properly...
Remember this post and pick all the holes in it this time next year!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 06/01/2015 - 05:18

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 08:38
The most interesting thing in that photo is certainly the tiny kit lens. I'll be very interested in how it performs and what price it has.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

jules

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 08:42
richandfleur wrote:
I've seen a suggestion that it might be a swing and tilt fully at articulated hinge so that could be everything all in one. That sounds better to me and you can leave it in place if you want also.

Wonder if it's touchscreen enabled?

Wonder if it has wifi built in properly?

Wonder if it has GPS built in?

Wonder / hope it has a normal button layout on the rear.

Apparantly hinges like a Nikon S300 whatever that is? And since that would involve going to the Nikon site to find out I'll just have to wait till it comes out to find out how useful it will be!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

richandfleur

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 09:40
S300 seems to be a tiny compact camera?

richandfleur

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 09:47
I'd see a sensible progression as being ks-1, k60/70?, k-3, k-FF, 645z

That reads to me as a range that doesn't overlap and allows for sensible progression if required.

Throw a mirror less in there perhaps, or not it the above does th basics exceptionally well.

The Q is in there, which I see as being on a par with the ks-1.

The k60/70?, k-3, k-FF, 645z range should be all WR and sensor stabilised as high up as possible. Sony have shown this to be possible at the FF level. Personally I'd see the 645z as being more of a tripod warrior so it may not need this, even if it was possible.

I'm genuinely interested in what I'm seeing so far of the k-50 replacement.

Algernon

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 10:33
It looks to have a fold out beer tent at the back to me
I wonder where we are supposed to keep the barrels

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 06/01/2015 - 10:34

lennythelion

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 10:38
This K60/70 looks interesting.

Wonder if the screen is touch screen or not, would be useful if it was and the UI was done well, but not sure how easy that would be to weatherproof.

Also I think the K3 AF should be put into the body as the 11 point AF seems a bit lacking for a mid range body.
Wifi, really needs to be in the body, and to work properly not with the Flu card which seems to get mixed opinions.

Have to wait and see.

I do also think Pentax, really need to address the FF issue and stop sitting on the fence. Either commit to releasing a FF, or say your not and sticking with APSC.
Last Edited by lennythelion on 06/01/2015 - 10:39

Monobod

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 13:09
I had been waiting and waiting for a FF Pentax dslr, but finally gave up and bought the K-3 Prestige. My main reason for wanting the FF option was to get better high ISO performance in respect of reduced noise. I do hope Pentax make this a priority over ultra high pixel counts. Nikon have stuck at 16 for the top model, obviously for this very reason. The D810 is pretty noisy it seems from what I have seen of test shots on reviews.

So far, I am more impressed with the K-3 than I had reasonably been expecting. It is well controlled as far as noise is concerned providing one is sensible with the ISO rating. The higher resolution does demand better lenses and it also benefits from being used on a tripod, or at least a monopod, but then again I am not quite as steady as I used to be when younger. The K-3 is a vast improvement in terms of accuracy of exposure, something I have always been at odds with on earlier Pentax dslr's, especially the K-20D. It also focuses much faster and in much lower light.

The K-3 image quality is a serious improvement on the K-5, which I still own and use occasionally. Mostly because it is more forgiving of a couple of my lenses.

I am not sure what a K-3ii would offer, except perhaps built in wi-fi.

dcweather

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 14:05
I'm really excited about the lenses provided they are not priced out of the market. As for a future upgrade to the K3 I can't see the point. Apart from perhaps a better ISo performance in the 400-1600 range there is little to improve - EXCEPT the autofocus. It is time for Ricoh to bite the bullet as no amount of tweaking and adding extra focus points is going to give the quantum jump required to match the opposition. They need a new AF system. I have reached the point in my wildlife photography where everything is perfect with the K3 itself except for this. I don't think I would not use the K3 but I would consider a lower end body from one of the other two and maybe a third party 150-600mm lens to fill the gaps.
Dave

jules

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 14:29
Monobod wrote:
I had been waiting and waiting for a FF Pentax dslr, but finally gave up and bought the K-3 Prestige. My main reason for wanting the FF option was to get better high ISO performance in respect of reduced noise. I do hope Pentax make this a priority over ultra high pixel counts. Nikon have stuck at 16 for the top model, obviously for this very reason. The D810 is pretty noisy it seems from what I have seen of test shots on reviews.

So far, I am more impressed with the K-3 than I had reasonably been expecting. It is well controlled as far as noise is concerned providing one is sensible with the ISO rating. The higher resolution does demand better lenses and it also benefits from being used on a tripod, or at least a monopod, but then again I am not quite as steady as I used to be when younger. The K-3 is a vast improvement in terms of accuracy of exposure, something I have always been at odds with on earlier Pentax dslr's, especially the K-20D. It also focuses much faster and in much lower light.

The K-3 image quality is a serious improvement on the K-5, which I still own and use occasionally. Mostly because it is more forgiving of a couple of my lenses.

I am not sure what a K-3ii would offer, except perhaps built in wi-fi.

Could not agree more, especially on the exposure accuracy, when you learn what you are doing with the meter it's superb!
I don't think my 17-70 is quite up to the job anymore but holding the damn thing steady is the key, I'm decidedly shakier than I used to be...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 06/01/2015 - 14:31

michaelblue

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 15:42
dcweather wrote:
I'm really excited about the lenses provided they are not priced out of the market. As for a future upgrade to the K3 I can't see the point. Apart from perhaps a better ISo performance in the 400-1600 range there is little to improve - EXCEPT the autofocus. It is time for Ricoh to bite the bullet as no amount of tweaking and adding extra focus points is going to give the quantum jump required to match the opposition. They need a new AF system. I have reached the point in my wildlife photography where everything is perfect with the K3 itself except for this. I don't think I would not use the K3 but I would consider a lower end body from one of the other two and maybe a third party 150-600mm lens to fill the gaps.
Dave

I totally agree.....focus tracking on Pentax cameras is as good as useless
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

jules

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 22:08
Ta Dah!

By Scott Burnham @snaptphoto

Kit lens is SMC! DC and WR...
Sv?
WiFi
A HDR (Auto HDR?)
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 06/01/2015 - 22:17

jules

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 22:59
SV Doh, should have looked at my K3!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.