New Pentax dslr announced

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 20:43
http://photorumors.com/2015/01/05/new-pentax-products-on-display-at-ces/#more-65...

Lenses galore!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 20:48
1stEverPentax wrote:
Interesting...given the relative small size of it, my guess would be that this will be the K60/600 and intended as a replacement for the K50/500 probably with the 20MP sensor from the K-S1. It is pictured with the new 18-50 'compact' kit lens as well by the look of it. I'm guessing that the K-3 is intended to now 'drop down' the line-up to fill the space vacated by the K-5...given the huge price drop in such a relatively short time by this model. Only question is whether the new 'Top Dog' will be announced at CES also or whether they save this for about Easter time.

Why? K3 is only just over a year old and likely not due for replacement until the Autumn, why is everyone in such a rush all the time?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

widezu69

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 20:54
jules wrote:
1stEverPentax wrote:
Interesting...given the relative small size of it, my guess would be that this will be the K60/600 and intended as a replacement for the K50/500 probably with the 20MP sensor from the K-S1. It is pictured with the new 18-50 'compact' kit lens as well by the look of it. I'm guessing that the K-3 is intended to now 'drop down' the line-up to fill the space vacated by the K-5...given the huge price drop in such a relatively short time by this model. Only question is whether the new 'Top Dog' will be announced at CES also or whether they save this for about Easter time.

Why? K3 is only just over a year old and likely not due for replacement until the Autumn, why is everyone in such a rush all the time?

Because many itch for full frame

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:01
Many? How many?
Scratch the itch and go buy a SoNikCan...
I've had three of each!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 05/01/2015 - 21:02

Helpful

widezu69

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:04
Well I itch and that "large diameter telephoto zoom" gives me hope that it is a 70-200mm f2.8 for a 35mm sensor.

richandfleur

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:06
Mic input, so a video feature advancement on the K-30/K-50 model. To work this will need audio level indication, otherwise you don't know if you are clipping your audio or recording too low.

If they're investing in video features, then I hope they drop that 'Movie SR' rubbish in the bin where it belongs and restore real/active sensor shift stabilisation in video mode, like the K7/5 families had.

Looks like side hinge screen, so great for selfies (ie not much at all) and not a tilt screen (ie useful) like the 645Z. Still a full 180 degree side hinge would be useful for video blog work etc. If it's video focussed then lets hope it can deliver.

I have no interest in a collapsible kit lens. That sounds like a cry to reduce DSLR size without offering mirrorless. If it's priced right then I could definitely be interested as an upgrade to my K-30.

What's the overall vibe on the new K-S1 sensor? How does that compare to the K-3 one? If this new DSLR has no AA filter also then honestly I'm getting quite interested in this. Assuming WR and all, this looks like a neat upgrade to the K-30 for me

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:07
widezu69 wrote:
Well I itch and that "large diameter telephoto zoom" gives me hope that it is a 70-200mm f2.8 for a 35mm sensor.

Hope it gets past the prototype stage for ya then!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:16
I don't see the K-3 as being replaced as such, more a case of saving the development cost of a new K-5 which would only end up being very similar to the K-3...so why pay twice to develop a model? The accountants wouldn't allow it.

There has to be something above the K-3 to continue to attract the wealthy enthusiasts and semi-pro/pros who will otherwise continue to leave the marque causing its demise. This time last year as well as speculation on the K60/600 there was also rumour of a 'retro' Kf or some such which I think Pentax would like to launch to appeal to the huge 'traditionalist' market..people who grew up with Pentax 35mm film. One or two other competitors have already gone down this route successfully.

It all depends then on whether they make the 'retro' model their FF offering in which case we are likely to see a K3II sooner rather than later or whether they bring out a retro styled APS-C and just use the innards from what would be the K3II in a new shiny metallic outer shell. The second option would buy them more decision time if they were still undecided whether to go with FF or not.

Anyway, regardless of the speculation...my main dilemma is whether to spend on the K50 body while the offer is still on or £499 for the K5II with 18-55DA WR! I'd rather let someone else try out the newer models first.

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:18
richandfleur wrote:
Mic input, so a video feature advancement on the K-30/K-50 model. To work this will need audio level indication, otherwise you don't know if you are clipping your audio or recording too low.

If they're investing in video features, then I hope they drop that 'Movie SR' rubbish in the bin where it belongs and restore real/active sensor shift stabilisation in video mode, like the K7/5 families had.

Looks like side hinge screen, so great for selfies (ie not much at all) and not a tilt screen (ie useful) like the 645Z. Still a full 180 degree side hinge would be useful for video blog work etc. If it's video focussed then lets hope it can deliver.

I have no interest in a collapsible kit lens. That sounds like a cry to reduce DSLR size without offering mirrorless. If it's priced right then I could definitely be interested as an upgrade to my K-30.

What's the overall vibe on the new K-S1 sensor? How does that compare to the K-3 one? If this new DSLR has no AA filter also then honestly I'm getting quite interested in this. Assuming WR and all, this looks like a neat upgrade to the K-30 for me

Got to admit that does look like the hinge but there may be more going on round the back than that? Wondering if it will have the new control wheel arrangement on the back ala K-S1 or traditional?
Agree they need to put back the proper movie SR if they are serious about it.
Looks like quite a nice camera and may play well with my K3 meaning I don't have to care about any k3 upgrade, anytime soon.
The perennial DXO comparison:
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-S1-versus-Pentax-K-...
You don't lose or gain much, the differences could easily be sample variation but you get 20Mp instead of 16.
I did post a few quick K-S1 test shots a bit back and was very impressed with the image quality, rumor sites suggest it is the 24Mp sensor but I would think they'll go with the 20 in this one, I hope so anyway...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:21
1stEverPentax wrote:
I don't see the K-3 as being replaced as such, more a case of saving the development cost of a new K-5 which would only end up being very similar to the K-3...so why pay twice to develop a model? The accountants wouldn't allow it.

There has to be something above the K-3 to continue to attract the wealthy enthusiasts and semi-pro/pros who will otherwise continue to leave the marque causing its demise. This time last year as well as speculation on the K60/600 there was also rumour of a 'retro' Kf or some such which I think Pentax would like to launch to appeal to the huge 'traditionalist' market..people who grew up with Pentax 35mm film. One or two other competitors have already gone down this route successfully.

It all depends then on whether they make the 'retro' model their FF offering in which case we are likely to see a K3II sooner rather than later or whether they bring out a retro styled APS-C and just use the innards from what would be the K3II in a new shiny metallic outer shell. The second option would buy them more decision time if they were still undecided whether to go with FF or not.

Anyway, regardless of the speculation...my main dilemma is whether to spend on the K50 body while the offer is still on or £499 for the K5II with 18-55DA WR! I'd rather let someone else try out the newer models first.

Can't go wrong with either but for me the K5II is the nicer camera, more refined, if you shoot in low light the focus sees in the dark, (-3ev) it has more features and the build is second to nothing I've ever tried and I've tried most.
There will be a K3 II (I hope) just not too soon (I hope!)
I think the price of the K3 may rise again now were out of the bargain hunt season...
Also, it depends how much you can really charge for an APSC DSLR nowadays, ok, so Canon want you to pay £1599 but Ricoh need to sell em so they start off just over a grand when new, to get up to the Canon price level it would have to be pretty special made of titanium or the mythical unicorn! (FF)
Anything much over a grand is now firmly in FF territory and Ricoh can't put out a ton of models, for all sorts of different purposes with all sorts of differing specs, like the big three can. The constant iteration of the SoNikCan collective is what's turning a lot of people off photography all together...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 05/01/2015 - 21:30

richandfleur

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:29
I've seen a suggestion that it might be a swing and tilt fully at articulated hinge so that could be everything all in one. That sounds better to me and you can leave it in place if you want also.

Wonder if it's touchscreen enabled?

Wonder if it has wifi built in properly?

Wonder if it has GPS built in?

Wonder / hope it has a normal button layout on the rear.

jules

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 21:35
richandfleur wrote:
I've seen a suggestion that it might be a swing and tilt fully at articulated hinge so that could be everything all in one. That sounds better to me and you can leave it in place if you want also.

Wonder if it's touchscreen enabled?

Wonder if it has wifi built in properly?

Wonder if it has GPS built in?

Wonder / hope it has a normal button layout on the rear.

Wifi would be at odds with the current Ricoh trend but it has been suggested to me it has it built in
Touchscreen Eughh! (Although I will have to drag myself into this century at some point!)
Doubt GPS but compatible with the widgety doo dad.
I hope for the nomal button layout too with two dials, nothing wrong with the wheeel per say, ok yes there is... It's like a Canon and I just can't live with that , I'd rather gnaw off my own foot! ()
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 05/01/2015 - 21:37

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 22:10
Jules, I agree about the ceiling of £1000+ (maybe £1200 initial price topps) on APS-C...they could just about 'Do' a retro APS-C for this and it would sell well...but they do need to be able to make money on it at a price of £900-£1000.

I see their DSLR range as being KS-1,2 etc aimed at the young techies, iPad generation at about £350-£400 running parallel with K60 'mature enthusiast' and about £450-£500 price mark after 4-5 months. I think they'll drop the K500/K600 altogether very soon.

I see the K-3 settling by Easter at about £700-£750. A K-3II when it appears would be about £800-£850 after a couple of months.

Above this level...apart from blue sky there is room for only one more APS-C at about £1100-£1200 and to 'hold' £1200 it would have to be very special...like retro with GPS, WiFi and all the toys.

FF if/when it appears has to be below £1500 unless it's retro then it might make £1700-£1750..but that's it really...any more expensive and it just won't sell in the volume they will need to re-coup its development.

Your point about the other marques having too many models/changes is very true...I would expect all the remaining manufacturers to slim down their model ranges to just 3 or 4 within about a year (up to about the £1500 mark and including cheapest FF)..it can't be viable to maintain any more than this given that APS-C is close to reaching its absolute potential..not much more added value to pull out of the hat.

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 22:13
jules wrote:

Touchscreen Eughh! (Although I will have to drag myself into this century at some point!)

I know exactly what you mean but since buying the EOS-M I have certainly warmed to the idea ... bit like video on a DSLR and Windows 8.1
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

widezu69

Link Posted 05/01/2015 - 23:00
Mike-P wrote:
jules wrote:

I know exactly what you mean but since buying the EOS-M I have certainly warmed to the idea ... bit like video on a DSLR and Windows 8.1

I am a supporter of video on a DSLR but I never really warmed to the idea of a touch screen on one. Seemed tacky until I played with the Canon 70D. I find the usefulness of it outweighs the inherent tackiness.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.