new name for the gallery

Darkmunk

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 19:50
I'm feeling boisterous.
Should the gallery be renamed to:
"Area for lame photos and monotonous, sycophantic comments" ?
It would be really nice to be able to go to the gallery for inspiration but it seems to be a place for relentless back-slapping or just somewhere easy to post test images... what's wrong with the photo critique area?
Can we have another gallery now please? and maybe call this one "keepers"

Seriously tho' we have enough talent here to have a truly exceptional portfolio, vetted in some way, but please - no voting, otherwise it will turn into a clique
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Karl

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 20:17
Hi Darkmunk. I agree with what you are saying, but, couple of points...

1.Where is the photo critique area? I think it would be useful if people could post their work for critique knowing full well that they would get honest feedback / constructive criticism to help them learn and improve.
It is not an easy thing to be diplomatic whilst trying to be honest when faced with a poor shot.
I am new to this forum but I get the distinct impression that the people who contribute to it are friendly and helpful.

2. How would one know that one is good enough to post in the Gallery "keepers" section?

Karl

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 20:22
Sorry, one other thing to add, the gallery section is one of the most popular sections of the forum judging by the number of topics figures.
People obviously want to post their pictures for appraisal, so maybe you are right to propose an 'elite' area, but, who decides whether a shot is worthy of it?

Hyram

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 20:36
The Gallery, as I understood it, was supposed to be for the very best photos with images being submitted for comment to the Your Photos section in the forum.

Unfortunately many people, who have never been anywhere near the forum, seem to use the Gallery as a form of hosting website.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

gartmore

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 20:53
I'm sorry to say I gave up posting there some time ago. If you want C+C then 'Your Photos' or the competitions section is where to be. I have to say that you could see how poor it was going to be when very lame pics from back numbers of Pentax User appeared without being attributed to anyone!

Its astonishing to see the same 'cut and paste' platitiudes appearing from the same posters time and time again. There is a total lack of self-appraisal on the part of many exhibitors, which is a real shame because they obscure some very fine work.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Oggy

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 21:05
Oooh er! Get him!

Seriously I know what you are saying DM. I have put one picture in the gallery, but I only did so as I thought it was the only way to get it into my portfolio (please advise if this is not the case). I certainly did not mean to suggest it was that good.

On the other hand, consider someone in my position - new to DSLR, not done much photography at all for some time and newish to this forum. I was a little apprehensive about my first picture post. As it is, people around here seem pleasant and were very kind. The only way to improve I feel is to put pictures up for scrutiny on the forum. I am most preciative of anyone who will take the time to look and make suggestions as to how I can improve. Discourageing people from posting pictures is counterproductive.

We need an area where people can post for general scrutiny, then possible have a comittee of the most experienced that select what goes into the "elite" area.

(PS Please tell me Ivor Dewdneys is still going)

mikew

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 21:56
I too hadn't realised the gallery was reserved for the 'best' shots otherwise I wouldn't have put anything there. I'm not clear on the process that manages the gallery but in the meantime I've removed my images.

Mike

davidtrout

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 22:26
Darkmunk wrote:
I'm feeling boisterous.
It would be really nice to be able to go to the gallery for inspiration but it seems to be a place for relentless back-slapping or just somewhere easy to post test images... what's wrong with the photo critique area?

Seriously tho' we have enough talent here to have a truly exceptional portfolio, vetted in some way, but please - no voting, otherwise it will turn into a clique

I've always understood the Gallery was a place for photo critique. Isn't that why there's a box for comments? If the more critical of our members feel the need to express opinions its up to them to do so. There seems to be some sort of exclusive clique involved in commenting in the more difficult to access Forum which certain people consider to be in some way superior to the Gallery. I'm sorry Mike says he's deleted his images, which I enjoy, from the Gllery.
david.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

aminstar

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 22:27
mikew wrote:
I too hadn't realised the gallery was reserved for the 'best' shots otherwise I wouldn't have put anything there. I'm not clear on the process that manages the gallery but in the meantime I've removed my images.

Mike

I second that, word for word and am removing my pictures too.
Didn't intend to cause any disruption to the normal flow of this forum.
People have been extremely helpful and kind over here and this is how I learn by getting feedback and criticisms and suggestions. I had no idea that the gallery was for pictures with high quality in that sense.

As a newcomer into the field I am the first one to admit that it will be a very long time before I can have an image that is worthy even for comparision to some of the ones I have seen from the experienced ones around here. I almost feel embarassed for having uploaded my picss up there.
I am in the process of removing them then. I do not intend to cause any controversies around here.

Thanks

Amin
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 22/02/2009 - 22:29

jackitec

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 22:50
The Pentax gallery is a public gallery for Pentax owner/user to show off there photos, end of story!!!

Mannesty

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 22:53
Hyram wrote:
The Gallery, as I understood it, was supposed to be for the very best photos with images being submitted for comment to the Your Photos section in the forum.

Unfortunately many people, who have never been anywhere near the forum, seem to use the Gallery as a form of hosting website.

One of the aims of this revamped website was to encourage subscribers to the PU magazine to post images, even if they didn't want to participate in the forums.

I preferred it when the two sites were separate. There is still a lot wrong with this site, and nothing seems to have changed in months to improve it.

For starters, the 'New Posts' function just does not work, and much of the rest is like an unfinished symphony. Ever tried guessing where the cursor goes when you add a smiley to a post?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 22/02/2009 - 23:10

Malo1961

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 22:59
When the New Forum style was introduced, the explanation of the powers in charge was: To use the gallery as a place to show of your best. Hence the possibility to check the box who gives you a chance to get published in the magazine. That is, how I understand it.

Unfortunately a lot of posters in the gallery do not participate on the forum itself. That's a shame but also their provocative and right.

I also noticed a lot of: 'cut and paste' platitudes, as Gartmore so gently observes. And a lot of those entries aren't what some of us might consider: "the best". But.......,they might well be for the original posters.

After careful consideration I decided to remove my own portfolio from the gallery. I get all the C&C I wish for, by joining the 2 different type of competitions. And right up till now, I valued the remarks of the judges, very highly. I hope it will remain so in the future.

I decided a long time ago to only give C&C if asked for in the: My Photo's section of the forum.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

jackitec

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 23:04
Who plays God to judge your "Very best photo's" I don't want the job

RR

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 23:29
Darkmunk wrote:
I'm feeling boisterous.

Darkmunk, can you clarify which is the critique area ? As there is nothing worded that way as such. In one of the photos you've posted in your portfolio you've written:

fish eye, 3 image HDR
c&c welcome

So it would seem that if you are sure of that shot, you are inviting a back-slapping. Or if you are unsure of it, you are using it as a critique area. Basically including yourself in your own rant !

It is rather confusing that there is a Gallery in the main menu & also a "Gallery" subsection of the forum. I personally haven't posted anything to the main gallery & any images I've wanted comments on I've posted to the forum. This seemed the natural place to post them to me. I'm a new visitor here so am not aware of the sites previous incarnation but it seems that the forum is integrated into the site but at the same time conflicts with it.

Unless there are rules set out & policed there will be a continuing conflict between the 2 areas it would seem. It would make sense to have a seperate "critique" & "keepers" section, but then you'd need to remove the gallery area of the forum to prevent a seperation of audience.

Of course Photography is highly subjective & taste differs greatly. A keeper for you might be deleted at the first view by someone else for example. So quite how a gallery will be "vetted" without voting I'm not sure. We'll just end up with a gallery that fits with the judges taste.

We could of course all actively start viewing the actual gallery & offering honest critique, but I think that may lead to a less friendly environment & will scare off the newer pentaxians.

In short, I know it's currently not working, I don't have a sure-fire solution, but then again I don't let it get to me !

The official Pentax gallery is a good place to look for quality & inspiration I think.

Bob
My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 23:35
Quote:
There seems to be some sort of exclusive clique involved in commenting in the more difficult to access Forum which certain people consider to be in some way superior to the Gallery.

Anyone can comment anywhere, so surely that can't be described as a clique situation. I'm also not sure what is difficult to access about the Forum?
I don't see either how the Forum could be considered superior to the Gallery as they are totally different things.

Can you elucidate please?
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.