new name for the gallery

Anvh
Posted 22/02/2009 - 23:48 Link
I Haven't posted anything in the gallery yet but I thought it was the place to show photos that represent your style of shooting and to show the photos you're proud off. I came to this idea because when you click on your username you see the photos in the gallery and I used them to see where somone interest lays, which can be very helpfull sometimes.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 23/02/2009 - 04:16 Link
just had a look into the gallery and it's a complete other world there, I didn't even know
The things where you go to when you can't sleep
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
mikew
Posted 23/02/2009 - 07:18 Link
As intended this is a difficult discussion especially so on such a relaxed, informal and friendly site such as this. I simply hadn't realised the role that the gallery was supposed to play and while some of the images on it are not to my taste they are very good and could stand up against entries in other sites dedicated to critiques which I find are equally mixed.

I had recently started to add more photos to the gallery and hence my portfolio so that others could see what interested me and what style I have such as it is. I can do that just as easily in the My Photos area but I'm pretty sure that has a smaller audience and of course doesn't group the photos by author in any helpful way. Equally I can supply a link to my Flikcr site which is what I'll do presently.

At heart I think the guidelines just need to be clearer but anything that gets us looking at one another's photographs and passing comments of support or advice must surely be a good thing.

Mike
johnriley
Posted 23/02/2009 - 08:23 Link
It's not really a contentious or difficult subject - the Gallery is there for us all to show our images.

The short answer is put in there the ones you want people to see! It's been left for users to use as they wish, so guidelines that restrict don't seem necessary to me. Guidlines only indicate what you should do - it's a Gallery, so put up your pictures!

Best regards, John
davidtrout
Posted 23/02/2009 - 08:36 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be some sort of exclusive clique involved in commenting in the more difficult to access Forum which certain people consider to be in some way superior to the Gallery.
Anyone can comment anywhere, so surely that can't be described as a clique situation. I'm also not sure what is difficult to access about the Forum?
I don't see either how the Forum could be considered superior to the Gallery as they are totally different things.

Can you elucidate please?
I based my opinion that the Forum is cliquish on previous comments I've read from some members who obviously regard the Gallery as second rate. The Forum is certainly more difficult to down load pictures into than the Gallery as you need a third party medium to do so.
I have said on a previous occasion that I joined PU at about the time the changes were made to the site, last July, and consequently went straight to the Gallery as this seemed the the simplest and most logical way to show my photos. I wasn't aware it was supposed to be just for your best pictures. I'm not the best judge of my own pictures and welcome comments from other photographers on those images I quite like myself but am unsure about. If the Gallery is supposed to be just for 'best' pictures them I may well follow the lead of some other members who have deleted their entries.
Why do I still maintain the Gallery is better for viewing and commenting on pictures than the Forum?
a: Its easier to access.
b: You can view all the entries in the Gallery via the thumbnails at a glance.
c: Your entries in the Gallery go into your Portfolio so you can view someone's collection all in one.
d: Pictures entered for comment in the Forum are dispersed across dozens of threads and unless you are sad enough to spend hours on end wading through all the blogs you just won't see everyone's pictures.
Edited by davidtrout: 23/02/2009 - 08:41
aminstar
Posted 23/02/2009 - 09:24 Link
davidtrout wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be some sort of exclusive clique involved in commenting in the more difficult to access Forum which certain people consider to be in some way superior to the Gallery.
Anyone can comment anywhere, so surely that can't be described as a clique situation. I'm also not sure what is difficult to access about the Forum?
I don't see either how the Forum could be considered superior to the Gallery as they are totally different things.

Can you elucidate please?
I based my opinion that the Forum is cliquish on previous comments I've read from some members who obviously regard the Gallery as second rate. The Forum is certainly more difficult to down load pictures into than the Gallery as you need a third party medium to do so.
I have said on a previous occasion that I joined PU at about the time the changes were made to the site, last July, and consequently went straight to the Gallery as this seemed the the simplest and most logical way to show my photos. I wasn't aware it was supposed to be just for your best pictures. I'm not the best judge of my own pictures and welcome comments from other photographers on those images I quite like myself but am unsure about. If the Gallery is supposed to be just for 'best' pictures them I may well follow the lead of some other members who have deleted their entries.
Why do I still maintain the Gallery is better for viewing and commenting on pictures than the Forum?
a: Its easier to access.
b: You can view all the entries in the Gallery via the thumbnails at a glance.
c: Your entries in the Gallery go into your Portfolio so you can view someone's collection all in one.
d: Pictures entered for comment in the Forum are dispersed across dozens of threads and unless you are sad enough to spend hours on end wading through all the blogs you just won't see everyone's pictures.
David

Let me add one more point to the above list:

e: The improvement of one's ability can be traced with time and specially for a newbie like me aided with the comments and advice of everyone else can make improvements and check the mistakes of the previous images.

But well, seems like its not a place for newbies like me. I must admit though that I like the gallery, not only because of all the above points that David has mentioned but also because I was getting comments and advice from the more experienced ones. And it wasn't only backslapping because I did get suggestions and advice on some of my images that I had uploaded and went back and made the corrections and improvements.

I read somewhere in one of the comments above regarding some of the members who are not using the forum at all but just come and upload their images in the gallery. Well, in IMHO personally I fail to see what the problem is, and here again I reiterate, I might be wrong, but some of the images from the so called members who dont use this forum are truly nice. And I dont think that is something bad. All you have to do is just look at the images for example of aGinger. No comments, no participation at all in the forum and look at her portfolio, and if you can get to her flickr page there are still more stunning images.
But all this is just my personal opinion, and as a newbie in the field I admit I might be totally wrong.

Thanks

Amin
Edited by aminstar: 23/02/2009 - 09:26
Gwyn
Posted 23/02/2009 - 09:26 Link
I find I don't have time to wade through all the photos on the gallery. I have given up on it I'm afraid. I have no trouble seeing photos posted within the forum because I keep up with the forum - photos tend to be posted in the your photos section, not throughout the forum, unless they are referring to a specific problem.

I was afraid the gallery would become what it has. I have seen it on other sites. It is a shame that so many people who post on the gallery, and in the competition, never bother to join in the forum discussions, but I have seen that too on other sites. One way to overcome that would be to make it impossible to access the gallery until new members have at least introduced themselves in the forum, but that then reduces the attractiveness of the forum and gallery as a whole.

However there is no way to make it for only the best photos without it becomes like the proper Pentax gallery. Who know who judges the photos allowed there? Who would judge the photos to be allowed on the PU gallery? Doubtless many people posting on the gallery feel they are posting their best photos. Some better criticism may help, but in my experience people don't always appreciate honesty.

I shall continue to post on the forum, and ignore the gallery. I may never get a photo published in PU this way, but it suits me.
davidtrout
Posted 23/02/2009 - 10:05 Link
Gwyn wrote:
I find I don't have time to wade through all the photos on the gallery. I have given up on it I'm afraid. I have no trouble seeing photos posted within the forum because I keep up with the forum - photos tend to be posted in the your photos section, not throughout the forum, unless they are referring to a specific problem.

I was afraid the gallery would become what it has. I have seen it on other sites. It is a shame that so many people who post on the gallery, and in the competition, never bother to join in the forum discussions, but I have seen that too on other sites. One way to overcome that would be to make it impossible to access the gallery until new members have at least introduced themselves in the forum, but that then reduces the attractiveness of the forum and gallery as a whole.

However there is no way to make it for only the best photos without it becomes like the proper Pentax gallery. Who know who judges the photos allowed there? Who would judge the photos to be allowed on the PU gallery? Doubtless many people posting on the gallery feel they are posting their best photos. Some better criticism may help, but in my experience people don't always appreciate honesty.

I shall continue to post on the forum, and ignore the gallery. I may never get a photo published in PU this way, but it suits me.
John Riley asked what I meant when I said I believed some members regarded the Gallery as second class.
After reading the above I rest my case.
david
Edited by davidtrout: 23/02/2009 - 10:06
Gwyn
Posted 23/02/2009 - 10:26 Link
I don't see it as second class. It just doesn't interest me, that's all. I don't feel the need to look at other peoples photos, let alone comment on them. I rarely comment on photos placed within the forum, let alone any in the gallery. I don't want to just place a comment that says that it is a nice photo or whatever, and since I don't "know" the bulk of the gallery posters I won't place any more constructive comments in case they are misconstrued.
I am quite happy for people to post their photos where they like, and if PU have the bandwidth for the gallery without us needing to pay any more for it, then fine. But it is of no interest to me, to put photos there or to look at.
I actually took part in this weeks competition, but even that normally leaves me cold.
My point was that the gallery should be open to anyone, once you start having a committee approving the photos it loses it's point and becomes like the Pentax gallery. No one forces you to look at it. I still think it is a shame that more gallery posters don't join in the forum.
Darkmunk
Posted 23/02/2009 - 10:41 Link
Wow! excellent
I guess it was naive of me to think I could just post this and run!
So briefly:
I'm really pleased that it has been a hot topic and that I'm not alone.

I am happy for people to use only the gallery section and not the forum. My point is we need TWO Galleries. One of which should just be called 'Photo Upload' (this would be the current gallery)

The current gallery is not a great place for c&c because it doesn't notify you of comments and your photo can't be kept current like the forum.

I have no problem with poor photography - we all have to start somewhere and I am as active as anyone with helpful (and honest) comments.

I just want somewhere really classy with top-notch images, and I think a new 'Gallery' or 'Portfolio' should be that place. If it takes you a year to get an image worthy of inclusion then fine, you will be all the more proud when it happens and if you listen to all the comments and not just the back slapping then you will get there all the quicker.

The current gallery does facilitate posting, so that's good, but if c&c is important, it should be run like a forum.

I didn't want anyone to remove their images - it is currently the only way to build your own portfolio, I just want somewhere else for the good shots. Really tho', if your own portfolio is diluted by mediocre test shots then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Rob, let's not get personal - I was happy for people to comment on my image way back, as no image is perfect. Believe me, you'll know when I'm having a rant, this is just an opinion

The Pentax Gallery is a lovely place to visit but it is slow and doesn't include manipulated images etc. Our new 'PU Portfolio' could be even better!

Oh yes...most importantly Ivor Dewdneys - still here !
Edited by Darkmunk: 23/02/2009 - 12:43
BAJ
Posted 23/02/2009 - 12:29 Link
I am quite new to the DSLR world although photography has always been a love of mine. I have found the Pentax User site very helpful and friendly and not at all intimidating compared with Flicker etc. I enjoy and look forward to seeing contributions, and find it a great shame if people are choosing to remove there 'work', as gain a great deal from this and certainly pick up some useful tips.
However I can also understand Darkmunk's point where a more experienced / serious photographer might want a greater level of critique to be applied . I feel it would be useful to have a daily post portion and also an area for serious critique.
By the way I would appreciate any constructive critique, as I really want to improve.

Have a great day

BAJ
BAJ
Pentax K1, K3, c/w 18-55 WR Kit Lens , 35mm DA , 100mm macro, 50-135 F2.8 DA*, 16-50 F2.8 DA*, 300mm F4 DA* Sigma 24mm F 2.8 super wide II, 15mm F4 Limited, Z 50P c/w 24mm & 35- 70mm 50mm F 1.4 A series, Lumix Compact
RR
Posted 23/02/2009 - 13:44 Link
Mark, I didn't intend for my comments to appear personal & apologise if any offense has been taken. I was reacting to your initial, slightly agressive post. The further comments you have made have disproved some of the conclusions I so quickly jumped to !
The many varied responses to your post have shown that this site is appreciated by many in any incarnation.
Malo1961
Posted 23/02/2009 - 16:02 Link
davidtrout wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
I find I don't have time to wade through all the photos on the gallery. I have given up on it I'm afraid. I have no trouble seeing photos posted within the forum because I keep up with the forum - photos tend to be posted in the your photos section, not throughout the forum, unless they are referring to a specific problem.

I was afraid the gallery would become what it has. I have seen it on other sites. It is a shame that so many people who post on the gallery, and in the competition, never bother to join in the forum discussions, but I have seen that too on other sites. One way to overcome that would be to make it impossible to access the gallery until new members have at least introduced themselves in the forum, but that then reduces the attractiveness of the forum and gallery as a whole.

However there is no way to make it for only the best photos without it becomes like the proper Pentax gallery. Who know who judges the photos allowed there? Who would judge the photos to be allowed on the PU gallery? Doubtless many people posting on the gallery feel they are posting their best photos. Some better criticism may help, but in my experience people don't always appreciate honesty.

I shall continue to post on the forum, and ignore the gallery. I may never get a photo published in PU this way, but it suits me.
John Riley asked what I meant when I said I believed some members regarded the Gallery as second class.
After reading the above I rest my case.
david
Just to put things in to perspective, without stirring up the fire, I hope
Here you can read, what the Team had in mind, when they created the gallery.
Now....,I am the first to recognize the fact that tastes different, and each and everyone is free to judge his own work, and decide to place it in the gallery. But looking at some of the entries, and seeing the wonky horizons, unsharp or under/over exposed pictures I look in disbelief at the comments made, afterwards. The nice ones or slight variations on that appraisal are building up as you scroll along.
It is almost as if people are afraid to give honest C&C. And with that going on, I think.......Is anything learnt here?

Now...you can ask: Why should there be any learning involved ?
Obviously, the answer is No, there shouldn't !! But accepting that would also implicate there is a chance, the overall quality degrades by going on that way. And therefore drifting further and further away from the intended purpose of the gallery.

A major flaw of the gallery is the fact that there is no automated notification tool built in, so you (as a poster) have to do a lot of extra effort to check if anyone responded to your posting. A bad thing, I think. Even after several requests to fix it, still no sign of taking that seriously. The same goes for the weekly competition section. Even Worse, IMO.

These flaws are the main reason to delete my own pictures. I find it common practice to respond to every comment made at a picture of mine.
Simple courtesy, nothing more or less. But it is not doable without a notification. Now...with all of this in mind, let's return to the original issue. Is the gallery regarded as second class?? The answer should be No, as it is not intended that way by the Pentax User Team with the implementation of this gallery. But the people responsible for the launch of this gallery should also consider their responsibility in guarding their own idea, as it was intended at first.


Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Karl
Posted 23/02/2009 - 16:17 Link
Lets have it like a video game where you score points for your pictures submitted to the forum which in turn, when enough points are amassed 'unlocks' the Gallery level.

There could also be level 3 - a Super Gallery level where you have to conquer a 'boss' figure in order to post super super images
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
davidtrout
Posted 23/02/2009 - 16:27 Link
A couple of points seem quite clear.
There is a general desire to have some sort of Gallery of Excellence and that the rather banal but frequently posted 'nice picture' comments instead of considered opinions are irritating.
The question as to how the first issue should be addressed doesn't have an easy answer. Who indeed would judge what is worthy of inclusion in a Gallery of Excellence?
The second point is easily sorted. We should all give more consideraton to our remarks when commenting on someone's image. If we say we like a picture we should also say why we like it and perhaps how the composition or presentation of the image might be improved.
david

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo