Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

new name for the gallery

beginner
Posted 23/02/2009 - 20:34 Link
Not at all Mike!.............Martin!....he puts all his efforts into the My Photo's section!....I'm just a slow typer!........Ken
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Darkmunk
Posted 23/02/2009 - 20:38 Link
Te he, this is fun, I'm loving this thread!
It's particularly funny watching people completely missing the point
Ken, I love your shots and I am really annoyed that when I lived in Northumbria I had no money for film processing I would post comments more often in the gallery if I thought they would be read, or answered.

I think our Dutch friends are closest to a solution... and me of course! with my new 'Portfolio' then you can do what you like with your pesky Photo Upload area.

TTK, I couldn't be less concerned by this. If you like status quo and I don't, I can leave any time I choose. I choose to stay, to enjoy the good and bad and have an opinion on how to improve it.
Malo1961
Posted 23/02/2009 - 20:41 Link
Quote:
ttk wrote:
beginner wrote:

Photoshopped shots and digitally enhanced shots blow my candle out!...does that make them "BAD"?........only my personal opinion!..People need comment to tell them how their efforts could be improved,you cant improve by looking at other peoples work as you need to know how they got there in the first place!...If the more experienced members of the Forum took a little time and effort with informative comment, I'm sure you would see an improvement in the gallery quality......Ken

DITTO.

Darkmunk wrote:
Oh please! We all know the difference between a bad picture and what just doesn't light our candle. Some photos are simply bad and if the photographer really wants to improve he will want genuine honest advice and also somewhere where he/she can be assured of seeing (irrefutably) good examples of our craft.

And you need to lighten up

I really don't get it. But maybe as a person and someone who takes giving and receiving C&C seriously, I don't fall in the category: Nice one

beginner wrote:
How long does it take to click on "gallery" and have a quick look?.......

To long Especially because with the present "dump" of pictures in the gallery it won't take to long, before you have to scroll/click back several pages to end with a posting were you asked for/or gave some C&C.

mikew wrote:
beginner wrote:
How long does it take to click on "gallery" and have a quick look?.......

Directed at me?
Mike

No Mike, at me I am afraid.
mikew wrote:

Where can you suggest I go to see irrefutably good examples of photographs? Certainly not the Pentax Photo Gallery. There are some wonderful images there but equally there are many merely competent images that don't light my candle.
Mike

I think your best bet would be the weekly competitions. At least those who join think it over for a moment or two, before entering.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Malo1961
Posted 23/02/2009 - 20:57 Link
beginner wrote:
Martin!....he puts all his efforts into the My Photo's section!....Ken

If this is supposed to be funny ?? I'll guess I miss something.
But hey, have a look over there, if you have the time. And maybe try it out, your self. Could be refreshing, you know. And than come back with me to discuss about time and effort,:

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

johnriley
Posted 23/02/2009 - 21:03 Link
OK, not quite sure why this is creating such a stir, but please don't let it degenerate.

The thing here is that we all have the facility to post pictures in the Gallery or the Forum. It's up to you where you post.

As for critiques, they should always be polite and constructive. State what you like and don't like and why, but don't denigrate the efforts of others.

Respect is always necessary - people put a lot of effort into their work and that needs to be remembered.
Best regards, John
Anvh
Posted 23/02/2009 - 21:47 Link
The main problem is that there is so much wild grow at the moment and the more user there are the more photos there will be upload and the more you will need to search to find the splendid photos.

Wouldn't it be posible to get a rating system where others can give a rating like say 1 to 5 stars and make an filter option based on that. If we all rate the photos sincerly you can sort it quite well I believe.

An option that mark the little photo in the main gallery if C&C is asked might be usefull since the photographer might get more C&C and other forum members also know what's expected form them since not all photographers like C&C. Like John said it also depends on how you bring your comment but still it can get very nasty sometimes

Edit:
The only problem I can see with the rating system is that it might end out as a popularity contest, I wouldn't like that to be honest
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 23/02/2009 - 21:48
Malo1961
Posted 23/02/2009 - 21:59 Link
You are right, John.
But respect works both ways.
Not only for the ones giving C&C but also for the ones receiving it.
But.... when there are people who choose to stay on the side lines, apparently seen as some kind of "safe place", and from that position think they have to ventilate an opinion like this:
Quote:
beginner wrote:
If the more experienced members of the Forum took a little time and effort with informative comment, I'm sure you would see an improvement in the gallery quality......Ken

or this:
beginner wrote:
Martin!....he puts all his efforts into the My Photo's section!

I think I am entitled to ask about his motivation, if that isn't to much asked for. Unless of course, asking that is way beyond the boundaries of
what is expected to be civilized, around here.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

terje-l
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:08 Link
I have a feeling that many of you make this more difficult than necessary. Since I joined the Pentax User I have come to the understanding that

- if I want constructive criticism on a particular photo, I enter it under the Your Photos section

- if I want to show off a picture (i.e. something I am proud of or like especially well), I put it in the Gallery section. This may very likely be a picture which has received positive comments in the Your Photos section.

In the first case I am notified through email that there is a new post awaiting. In the Gallery section I don't hear anything, and it is therefore very unlikely that I will notice new comments straight away.

I concur with John Rileys comments - both sections are readily available, use them as you see fit. Don't let this forum turn into a place for the elite, where amateurs like myself would not feel at home.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
beginner
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:14 Link
Sitting on the side lines?..............who,me?
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
tomkeet
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:29 Link
Well this all very interesting, I am not an expert or professional nor profess to be, it’s a hobby, one of many. Yes there is good and bad pictures technically in the Gallery it also depends on what your photographic tastes are! It’s a use full area to view whatever category you like and see what improvements you would like to make to your own shots.
If you like the Gallery area use it, if not do not.
Regards
Tom

K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301
bforbes
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:43 Link
tomkeet wrote:
It’s a use full area to view whatever category you like and see what improvements you would like to make to your own shots.

I agree Tom, the gallery is a great place to view photographs of various types and think, that’s the sort of quality I would like to attain. It is a place where you can compare your own efforts critically against others. You may not know what you are doing wrong but you know you have to try something to improve.
Malo1961
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:48 Link
beginner wrote:
Sitting on the side lines?..............who,me?

Yes Ken. Apparently it seems so. Even now you choose to avoid answering my question. That is of course your right. And by all means, don't bother if you don't feel like it. I'll guess motivating your previous remarks against/about me go to far beyond the level of: Nice one, great , etc......

Nuff said,

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Father Ted
Posted 23/02/2009 - 22:53 Link
What a wonderful debate

I had felt guilty in the past about posting in the gallery as I didn't feel I was up to scratch. The only reason I started was to have a "My Portfolio"

But, I do prefer to post in "Your Photos" as I like the feedback. Good and bad, I have always found the feedback respectful and helpful. Talking of which, time to pull my finger out and get some more pics to upload.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Ben76
Posted 23/02/2009 - 23:04 Link
I really don’t like some of the comments I am reading here!
I joined this community because I happen to have a Pentax and to share one of my passions with other Pentax users. I also got the impression that members were respectful and positive about people’s work, that it was not a place for the elite and that there was a good deal of humour… That’s why I joined the forum, among other things.
You know, I don’t want to submit my photos to certain French forums or the two major photo magazines in France. The comments are very often negative and rarely positive, as if every photographer was supposed to be a professional. I have another job, I am not a professional photographer, I simply want to take the best possible shots and when I think one is good I post it in the gallery or I enter one of the competitions. Hopefully I get reliable feedback. If I don’t get any feedback at all about one of my photos then it certainly means it is not a very good photo.
However I want to point out that somebody’s opinion about a photo is necessarily biased like in any art (take music for example, what you like maybe your neighbour hates it but it does not mean it is bad). Of course there are the technical details but there are other aspects in a photo.
Obviously most members respect each other on this forum and I hope it will continue that way.
The gallery is here for people to show their photos and hopefully before they post one they believe it is a good one which is worth showing. I like it although I must admit it can be improved: why not limit the number of photos that each member could post every week or every month? Wouldn’t it be possible to be notified of comments? …
Benoît
Edited by Ben76: 23/02/2009 - 23:32
Anvh
Posted 24/02/2009 - 00:29 Link
Don't worry too much Benoît, most of the time they are friendly.
There are just some missunderstandings I believe, Ken has worded himself a bit wrong sometimes and Martin is taken it just a bit too personal since it wasnt directly aimed at him when it started so just end it you boys.

The more experience photographs are always helpfull if you ask them something, everyone on this forum has been very helpfull to be honest.
But we cant expect off someone to leave a C&C for every photo. If you really want somone C&C just ask them and you will get it I believe.
The gallery also isn't the place to have conversations like most of you agree here if you want C&C the My Photo section in the forum is so much better to use for that.

To go back to the topic, how many off you think there are too many "bad" photos in the gallery? If you look at other forums you will see that it really isnt that bad here so to be frank i dont think there is a real problem and no need for anything to change.
I know i make some comments but i got carried away in the thought flow here
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.