New K3 image - interesting!

G1DRP

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 19:13
michaelblue wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Quote:
I do wish Pentax would do away with the af-s/af-c/mf switch altogether and do it through the quick menu displayed on the rear screen like Canon. It really is so much less fiddly

I really hope they don't!!! I don't want to have to take the camera away from my eye to switch from AF to MF, thank you very much.

Agree DEFINITELY

They can't really do away with the AF/MF switch because, unlike Canon, Pentax use a shaft drive focusing system so the switch is used to retract the shaft.
Cheers,

Ian

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 20:50
Mongoose wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
I do wish Pentax would do away with the af-s/af-c/mf switch altogether and do it through the quick menu displayed on the rear screen like Canon. It really is so much less fiddly

I really hope they don't!!! I don't want to have to take the camera away from my eye to switch from AF to MF, thank you very much.

2nd that - those little extra controls are what makes the K7 stand out from the competition IMO, and having them there, apart from the obvious convenience and directness of control, can actually act as a mental prompt to try something different!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/10/2013 - 20:50

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:18
I dunno sometimes. I often find I have to look at the AF mode select lever to make sure it's in place anyway. If you're going to have to take your eye off the viewfinder, better to look at the back of the camera than the front.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:41
But I don't understand how it could be better to have to activate the menu and change what the LCD is displaying just to select and confirm one of these options. The physical control is always there to glance at or use your tactile sense, and moving it doesn't interfere with your LCD screen - which might be showing an image with histogram or a digital preview while you check out WB or Custom Image settings. You get the status indicator as confirmation also on the LCD for AF mode, Metering mode and of course the AF point selections also.

And I do think having the controls there can act as a prompt to considering alternatives - eg: when using 'catch-in-focus' the AF switch selector provides the simplest means to switch rapidly between catch-in-focus and normal capture (AF-S for active & AF-C or M to de-activate). I'd hardly be encouraged to utilize this flexibility if I had to use the menus to do this.

Metering is exactly the same - the physical control under the mode dial, apart from being the easiest possible way to change this, acts as a visible reminder to think about the metering options and try them - we get instant exposure feedback in the LCD and histogram of our experiments. No Metering mode option buried in a menu is going to remind me to try something out.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:41
It doesn't generally move though and it can be set by feel. I wouldn't want to have to go into a menu when I can have a dedicated switch. It would seem a step backwards.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:43
We crossed there John, but I'm with you on that as you can see above!

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:45
Pentaxophile wrote:
I dunno sometimes. I often find I have to look at the AF mode select lever to make sure it's in place anyway. If you're going to have to take your eye off the viewfinder, better to look at the back of the camera than the front.

I always have to take the camera away from my eye to change af modes on the k-5II ... Infact I don't think I have ever had the need to go from one mode to another while keeping my eye at the viewfinder. Pressing a button to cycle through the modes (using either the viewfinder or rear screen) is a lot easier than trying to do the same with a clunky switch.

Saying that, if it's not possible then it matters not.
johnriley wrote:
It doesn't generally move though and it can be set by feel. I wouldn't want to have to go into a menu when I can have a dedicated switch. It would seem a step backwards.

As I previously said, it can also be set via pressing a single button and viewing the modes in the viewfinder.
. My Flickr

punkrockemo

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:46
I like having the AF switch on the side of the camera, but sometimes i find when switching back to AF form MF im not sure what AF mode it is in. Could do with it showing in viewfinder. The arrangement shown on the K3 may work better as i assume it will return to AF mode it was in before.

mille19

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 21:47
MrB wrote:
mille19 wrote:

If the photos real it looks like there is a switch for AF/MF and a button for AF mode

I often get the impression that my contributions are invisible in this forum -

Previously:
MrB wrote:

Looks like "AF Mode" button and "AF MF" switch.

Philip

Whoops, sorry

Don

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 23:08
that hump on the side must have a cover on the side of it and perhaps has a port with a connector for something.... video out? headphones? dedicated flash cord? pc socket (hope not)?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mongoose

Link Posted 02/10/2013 - 09:01
MrB wrote:
mille19 wrote:

If the photos real it looks like there is a switch for AF/MF and a button for AF mode

I often get the impression that my contributions are invisible in this forum -

Previously:
MrB wrote:

Looks like "AF Mode" button and "AF MF" switch.

Philip

if it's any consolation, there was a 3 post exchange surrounding that point, so two of my posts must also have been missed
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Smeggypants

Link Posted 02/10/2013 - 22:12
Unlocker wrote:
Different view of new K-3 shows some interesting developments on the side of the camera!

Btw this picture is almost certainly photoshopped. the lens isn't perpendicular to the body and thus the sensor, it's tilting downwards
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/10/2013 - 22:20
It ain't pretty so it must be good. Could the tilting downwards thing be due to lens distortion, looks like a close wide angle shot, maybe on a mobbie.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

weinelm

Link Posted 02/10/2013 - 22:43
Smeggypants wrote:
Btw this picture is almost certainly photoshopped. the lens isn't perpendicular to the body and thus the sensor, it's tilting downwards

Hopefully because it really had the new Limited zoom on
Panasonic G80, GX80, Pentax K-1, Pentax K-3, Pentax MX, Mamiya 6.

richandfleur

Link Posted 03/10/2013 - 02:33
I had to laugh at my reactions to this picture.

1) was that it looked ugly, like a brick in the central section, especially given that squared off 80s stealth bomber styling over the flash area etc.

2) I thought the mode dial was in a funny place. How soon I forget that the K100D was like this and it was in fact my K-30 that deviated away from this because of it's lack of a top LCD screen.

AF Mode sounds interesting as presently the AF-C and AF-S options only control if you can take the photo straight away or must receive focus lock confirmation prior to taking the photo. None of these allow for automatic refocus if the subject point comes towards or away from you right? Hopefully the AF Mode button inclusion means they've got some real improvement or new functionality around the AF process.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.