New Forum Ideas

johnriley
Posted 21/10/2010 - 11:55 Link
It's been a while since anyone added anything to this and it's a shame that only a handful of members have posted any ideas.

Without just repeating the ideas already made, are there any other suggestions?
Best regards, John
TOZZA27
Posted 21/10/2010 - 12:00 Link
John - I am a member of only one forum - PU,and really have no time or need to join any others.I like being on here , I like the people and I have no idea how we could "improve" since I know no better !
I and my lady are happy to continue and be guided by those with wider knowledge of these sorts of things so didn`t feel it necessary to input unhelpful feedback.

Regards

Tony & Jo
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
johnriley
Posted 21/10/2010 - 12:01 Link
Fair enough, many thanks for that Tony and Jo!
Best regards, John
TOZZA27
Posted 21/10/2010 - 12:22 Link
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Oggy
Posted 21/10/2010 - 12:28 Link
Careful John - Tony will be trying to tap you for a tenner.
thoughton
Posted 21/10/2010 - 12:33 Link
I would like a facility similar to the one they have on Flickr, where we can draw boxes on posted images (for crop suggestions or notes on a part of an image etc). Can you sic the IT guys on it please John
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
TOZZA27
Posted 21/10/2010 - 13:04 Link


He already did............................I thought it was what happened !! He said it was for a good cause - LOL
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
bretti_kivi
Posted 21/10/2010 - 13:10 Link
ah, go on then...

1. The forum software is truly awful. I don't care if it's phpBB based, it's simply bad from a user perspective. IPBoard and the older vBulletins are here miles ahead. What happened to functionality in the editing part? WYSIWYG? YouTube links? I can't see previous versions of my post.

2.
Quote:

I strongly disagree with the idea of subs as a sole means of support. This is an antiquated idea that comes from the print world, and in my opinion has no place on the web. Even major international publications have a hard time charging for web content, what luck is this site going to have? Site costs should be covered by advertising and sponsorship, this is a proven technique and is how almost every website on the net does it. I suppose an annual fees for a advertising-free version of the site may be an option but it would just be another thing for the IT people to look after. I'd rather they spent that time on RSS feeds, or latest unread posts a la Unlocker.
Latest unread posts is simply not reliable here. I find the latest posts. I don't want the latest UNREAD posts, I want the posts since last visit and THEN the latest unread ones.

Paying? They will. Everyone will. If you offer them value and ONLY then. I help run a club... we have lots of paying members, we have lots of running discounts and other benefits of being a member (like additional PM space, larger avatars, access to the games arcade...) and it works very nicely, thanks. We have a trusted relationship with several suppliers and life works well.
I do not like adverts, I have AdBlock Plus on every machine along with NoScript and I'm not giving it up. I will happily pay something for a site which offers something specific which I can't find elsewhere and remains as a result ad-free (or close to it!).

I don't care what Murdoch offered. He didn't and still doesn't differentiate enough. Second-class members? most of the guy-focussed forums I am a member on also have a special section or three, and pretty much all of them have had the discussion about members having to have lots of posts before being able to advertise. Yes, that's a limitation which may also limit the attractiveness of the platform, but you need to draw a line somewhere. Some of these sub-forums are full of smut - why not? Others are simply protected and yet more are invitation only. Then there's the combination of payment AND invitation only.
100 posts, 30 days membership... to even see "for sale" is a bit strong, but EBay also costs money, probably around 10%. So a fiver for the ability to sell something quickly and to a trusted group isn't a bad deal, now is it?

What I'd also like to see are a set of clearer indications who is a mod and who isn't. This, along with stuff like "thanks" makes it easier to understand who is who and how seriously to take them.

oh, and why are quotes in the middle?
Why is the edit box so damned small? (running at 1600*1050pix here)

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Edited by bretti_kivi: 21/10/2010 - 13:13
Gwyn
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:05 Link
But apart from all that you are happy .

Were you a member when the great change occurred? It cost us members and a near riot. Not sure I, or the forum, could stand another change of format.

Whilst I don't mind some sections not being visible to lurkers, only to members, I don't like the idea of invitation only sections or pay to view sections.
Don
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:21 Link
Gwyn wrote:
But apart from all that you are happy .

Were you a member when the great change occurred? It cost us members and a near riot. Not sure I, or the forum, could stand another change of format.

Whilst I don't mind some sections not being visible to lurkers, only to members, I don't like the idea of invitation only sections or pay to view sections.
any excuse to join a riot...
just gimme an excuse...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Pentaxophile
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:27 Link
I'm not opposed to the idea of 'enhanced membership' for paying members... e.g. allowing larger images to be uploaded or more frequently, better discount deals with SRS etc, if that allows the site to be improved for everyone and minimises advertising.

As said before, a video section and Youtube links embedded in posts would be very good.

Above all, avoid the visual mess that EPZ has become, with ads and features splurged all over the page. This forum is successful for it's simplicity and clean interface.
ISO
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:43 Link
Hi All Viewers
Please look at this thread and see if you have any ideas/comments to add.
DON'T be put off just because some contributors seem very 'learned' with hundreds or thousands of posts to their name. We are all photographers at heart
TOZZA27
Posted 21/10/2010 - 15:56 Link
Thanks ISO - I`m not sure how hundreds or thousands of posts would make us "learned" - half the comments I make are fascetious and the other half unintelligable.........................................being a photographer does not mean we are "techies" or even au fait with the workings of websites - as I`ve said previously " I don`t know what makes `em go - I just drive `em"

respectfully

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
ISO
Posted 21/10/2010 - 16:07 Link
Hi Tony - well I did say 'hundreds or thousands' so I could be included in that comment too
Actually I do have some experience in the commercial working of websites as part of being a marketing consultant. You know, things like attracting and keeping traffic etc.
But we shall see
TOZZA27
Posted 21/10/2010 - 16:47 Link


As I said to John earlier - I`m here because I like the people,the cameras,the fun,the information and the intercourse ( steady HG )and the day it becomes like the homepage of MSN or Virgin Media or any other youth led garbage site I shall depart quietly back to my anonymity and my hobbies.


Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo