New Forum Ideas
Posted 09/10/2010 - 10:15
Link
Good question Tim.
Hopefully everyone will revert to 1 a day - the thought of so many new photos every day otherwise is just mind boggling - there will be too many to really look at them all.
Hopefully everyone will revert to 1 a day - the thought of so many new photos every day otherwise is just mind boggling - there will be too many to really look at them all.
Posted 09/10/2010 - 15:33
Link
Agree - but it could cramp peoples style a bit - however what would happen to sellers wanting to show thier kit - or are the classifieds another special case
Posted 09/10/2010 - 15:43
Link
ISO wrote:
Agree - but it could cramp peoples style a bit - however what would happen to sellers wanting to show their kit - or are the classifieds another special case
Sellers could still link photos to the classified section as now - it is only the gallery which is affected by limits on posting. That was never intended for photos for adverts.
Agree - but it could cramp peoples style a bit - however what would happen to sellers wanting to show their kit - or are the classifieds another special case
Posted 09/10/2010 - 15:46
Link
Thanks
Posted 14/10/2010 - 23:00
Link
Commercial classifieds are specifically excluded - please see the description of the Classified Ads section. Classifieds is for members private sales and wants of Pentax and Pentax related gear.
This obviously includes Pentax-fit lenses and accessories of any make.
This obviously includes Pentax-fit lenses and accessories of any make.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2010 - 07:38
Link
There is already a huge lens database at www.photodo.com which is a sister site to this one.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:30
Link
I hadn't seen this before, John. Though having taken a look, it's not exactly awash with feedback. Pentax lenses have very little. The 50-135 for example, one of its most popular lenses, has just one review; the DFA100 none at all (WR or non-WR).
If PUF were able to set up a database along the lines of that at the other forum, I think it would be very useful, representing an easily accessible place to tap PUF wisdom on equipment.
If PUF were able to set up a database along the lines of that at the other forum, I think it would be very useful, representing an easily accessible place to tap PUF wisdom on equipment.
Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:39
Link
Dr. Mhuni wrote:
If PUF were able to set up a database along the lines of that at the other forum, I think it would be very useful, representing an easily accessible place to tap PUF wisdom on equipment.
But would there really be much sense in duplicating one here, when the Other Forum's one is fairly comprehensive (on Pentax lenses and modern Sigmas/Tamrons at least) and has a much wider pool of reviewers?If PUF were able to set up a database along the lines of that at the other forum, I think it would be very useful, representing an easily accessible place to tap PUF wisdom on equipment.
Gwyn wrote:
The other forum also has a contribution system, and the tag site supporter, so people moving there would still be second class citizens.
I was more meaning along the lines of Nikonians, i.e. access to certain parts of the site being closed off to those who don't pay. I didn't even know magazine subscribers had an icon here until this thread
The other forum also has a contribution system, and the tag site supporter, so people moving there would still be second class citizens.
Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:48
Link
Many forums have sections closed off to non members, but I've never heard of one closing sections off to members who aren't contributors. I'm not sure I like that idea much.
We could have a review section maybe - not a huge database but an area to place your review on a piece of kit. You could then compare those reviews, from people you "know" with those elsewhere on the web.
It would be a good idea to not allow comments on reviews though, to avoid arguments and things getting nasty if people don't agree with it.
We could have a review section maybe - not a huge database but an area to place your review on a piece of kit. You could then compare those reviews, from people you "know" with those elsewhere on the web.
It would be a good idea to not allow comments on reviews though, to avoid arguments and things getting nasty if people don't agree with it.
Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:53
Link
I'm actually warming to the idea of a PU review section: reading a review from someone on here, whose judgement I trust, would be more useful than the Other Forum's section where an average score of 9.6/10 is mediocre
+1 for Photodo not counting - aside from the tiny number of reviews, the layout really is a mess.
+1 for Photodo not counting - aside from the tiny number of reviews, the layout really is a mess.
Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:53
Link
MrCynical wrote:
But would there really be much sense in duplicating one here, when the Other Forum's one is fairly comprehensive (on Pentax lenses and modern Sigmas/Tamrons at least) and has a much wider pool of reviewers?
I take your point about duplication. However, I'd view it as complementary and for me the greatest attraction is actually knowing the people providing feedback which I generally don't on the other forum.
But would there really be much sense in duplicating one here, when the Other Forum's one is fairly comprehensive (on Pentax lenses and modern Sigmas/Tamrons at least) and has a much wider pool of reviewers?
Posted 15/10/2010 - 13:57
Link
As regards people being excluded from parts of the site, I'm not so sure that the ones excluded would be very happy about that. Surely the ethos is to include as many people as possible?
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2010 - 14:15
Link
johnriley wrote:
As regards people being excluded from parts of the site, I'm not so sure that the ones excluded would be very happy about that. Surely the ethos is to include as many people as possible?
That was the point I was trying to make - when I was considering switching to Nikon a couple of months back, the prospect of not getting access to certain sections of Nikonians unless I paid meant I simply went to another forum.
As regards people being excluded from parts of the site, I'm not so sure that the ones excluded would be very happy about that. Surely the ethos is to include as many people as possible?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4798 posts
17 years
Saffron Walden,
Essex
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!